What to do with a family of 5?

liloohana

We were in Disney two weeks ago and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Not great!! We have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and loved it. Riverside was dark, dusty and dated. Our problem is that we have 3 children and are so limited by where we can stay. It seems our only options are Riverside (no thank you) or the Polynesian. Any tips on where else we can stay that isn't a fortune?
Thanks!

DisneyJoe

We were in Disney two weeks ago and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Not great!! We have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and loved it. Riverside was dark, dusty and dated. Our problem is that we have 3 children and are so limited by where we can stay. It seems our only options are Riverside (no thank you) or the Polynesian. Any tips on where else we can stay that isn't a fortune?
Thanks!

2 standard value rooms are only slightly more than POR.

All-Star Music Family Suite is the next option that is more expensive.

Then 2 moderate rooms or Ft Wilderness Cabins.

Then quite a few deluxe resorts - not just Poly - except for standard rooms at WL and AKL.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

The villas at Saratoga and Old Key West have lower rates then the others. The cabins are great for 5 too. We are also a family of five. Our next trip in August we are staying a few nights at the Poly and then moving over to Bay Lake Towers.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

Spouse and I have 3 kids. We have stayed at Contemporary Garden Wing several times. It is more expensive, but proximity to MK and monorail to Epcot have great impact on family convenience.

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

Just out of curiosity, where did you stay in riverside? We were there last summer and we loved the resort and did not have a single complaint about the state of the room or anything like that. But I have heard that it really depends on which side you stay on. We were on the Alligator Bayou side I think building 16.

Also we brought along an air mattress for our son to use due to the reviews on the trundle bed.

Upvote 0

420WDW MONSTER

were a family of 5, the youngest 14. we originally had 2 rooms port orleans with free dining I changed it to AKL Villas when a 40% off pin came out. I got a 1 bedroom savannah view for about 500 more

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We've been going for the last ten years as a family of five and have stayed at the Deluxes that allow five in a standard room (incl. Contemporary, Polynesian, Yacht & Beach) and at the Moderate Port Orleans-Riverside with the trundle bed. When me and one of the boys have gone for a Dad/Son long weekend, we've stayed at the Values.

This year, we decided to go with two connecting rooms at the Caribbean Beach, and that worked extremely well for us. It was still cheaper than one room at a Deluxe. We had more amenities available to us and more room to stretch than at two Value rooms.

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

2 standard value rooms are only slightly more than POR.

All-Star Music Family Suite is the next option that is more expensive.

Then 2 moderate rooms or Ft Wilderness Cabins.

Then quite a few deluxe resorts - not just Poly - except for standard rooms at WL and AKL.

Why would you need two Cabins? They can accommodate up to 6 guests.

Upvote 0

KSwart

We're going in May... 6 of us my wife, me, and 4 girls ages 3-9.... We are staying at All Star Music in a Family Suite... the reviews look good... I'll post one when we get back :)

Upvote 0

yankspy

I think the cabins at Ft. Wilderness give you the most bang for your buck. The cabins have full kitchens and are pretty spacious. The only drawback is that you need to have a car there or rent a cart since everything is so far away.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Thanks!

Blasphemy around here, but I'd go offsite. I usually do for my family of 4. My wife and I cannot sleep well in anything less than a queen bed, which knocks out the Values, and Mods except Coronado. But even so, we prefer to have a room to put the kids down early in while we stay awake. Rates at WDW for a 1-bedroom villa are, IMHO, just not worth it. We rent a house or a two- or three-bedrrom condo within 5 minutes from WDW and typically pay less than $100/night. I usually can't justify staying on property with less room.

Upvote 0

mickeymatt

Blasphemy around here, but I'd go offsite. I usually do for my family of 4. My wife and I cannot sleep well in anything less than a queen bed, which knocks out the Values, and Mods except Coronado. But even so, we prefer to have a room to put the kids down early in while we stay awake. Rates at WDW for a 1-bedroom villa are, IMHO, just not worth it. We rent a house or a two- or three-bedrrom condo within 5 minutes from WDW and typically pay less than $100/night. I usually can't justify staying on property with less room.

I completely understand this. My wife and I have a king bed at home and even a queen bed is uncomfortable to us now. My wife, 5 year old daughter, and I stayed in POR in bldg 24 Alligator bayou (far away I know!) and loved the resort. I didn't see it as dark and dusty. We did like the rustic feel and lush vegetation and the swimming pool. That said, I can't imagine 5 people in one of those rooms. I can see how it was too cramped for ya! My wife and I each took a double bed and my daughter slept on the trundle so it worked perfect for us.

Perhaps the new Art of Animation resort will be the perfect fit for you when it is finally opened!

Upvote 0

2bornot2be

I haver a family of 5 also and the problem I have is the cost. With a family of 5 the savings are worth it but once you move to a suite the cost increases. I wish Disney would offer a REAL value resort for families of 5. :shrug:

Upvote 0

lbrad

My family of 5 has stayed at:
1) PORS (Alligator Bayou) when the kids were smaller...it was nice
2) Ft Wilderness Cabin (with promotion 2009; Buy 4 nights get 3 free). Cabin was very spacious BUT the resort was just too BIG for me :(
3) 2 value resorts (adjoining rooms)...nice having 4 beds & 2 full bath

This summer we are trying ASMu Suites (there will be 6 of us)...i'll let you know how it works out. 10% off with AAA...the only discount I could find for our trip on July very tempted to stay off site & rent a home as we drive from PA so we have our own vehicle while in WDW.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom