What should star tours become?

What should star tours become

• Total voters

ppete1975

Original Poster
I am fine with it staying star wars, especially with the Endor AT-AT scene outside (i would hate to lose that)
But with Lightyear coming out.. it almost seems perfect (if the movie does really well and merchandise moves)
Of course pigs in space would be awesome.. but have the Muppets really referenced that since the 70s?
This is one that I would rather not do a new IP... since its such a basic ride.

Mickey5150

I love Star Tours so no need to change it. If they did choose to change it I think they would in Disneyland since it's exterior is pretty basic. The amount of exterior work needed at HS makes me think Disney won't change it unless they were building a Marvel ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I love Star Wars and like Star Tours, but now that we have the rides in GE I wouldn't have a problem with it being re-themed to another IP.

Marc Davis Fan

As others have said, Star Tours remains a great attraction, from queue to ride quality. The 2011 update really gave it new life that should last for a long time.

However... the outdoor queue is now a confusingly halfway remnant of the "pretend working studio" era. It was thematically successful back when it was obviously supposed to represent a movie set (e.g., the "hot set" sign, and I think some kind of equipment crane/rig outside, etc). Now, they've removed the obvious allusions to it being a movie set, but kept the "unfinished" set elements (e.g., visible back of AT-AT, painted back wall, etc). As a result, it now comes across as cheap, unfinished theming. You know, the thing that other companies do, but Disney differentiates itself by not doing? I've even seen a YouTube video where people are looking at the back of the AT-AT and saying things like "wow, they didn't even bother to finish it, huh?" I think Disney has to either change the outdoor queue entirely (unlikely), or add back elements making it clear that it's a movie set (which I guess magically transports you into the world of the movies, which is actually kind of cool, like the closet to Narnia) until they're ready to commit to a full redesign.

ppete1975

Original Poster
The reason I brought up them changing it, is that its not in galaxys edge. And with them trying to build cohesive areas now (in theory) i assumed that this and launch bay will eventually be changed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I voted "Other"...

Synch it to the music and video from Soarin' over California and Soarin' over the World and let's have Soarin 4-D in the simulators.

Animaniac93-98

However... the outdoor queue is now a confusingly halfway remnant of the "pretend working studio" era. It was thematically successful back when it was obviously supposed to represent a movie set (e.g., the "hot set" sign, and I think some kind of equipment crane/rig outside, etc). Now, they've removed the obvious allusions to it being a movie set, but kept the "unfinished" set elements (e.g., visible back of AT-AT, painted back wall, etc). As a result, it now comes across as cheap, unfinished theming. You know, the thing that other companies do, but Disney differentiates itself by not doing? I've even seen a YouTube video where people are looking at the back of the AT-AT and saying things like "wow, they didn't even bother to finish it, huh?" I think Disney has to either change the outdoor queue entirely (unlikely), or add back elements making it clear that it's a movie set (which I guess magically transports you into the world of the movies, which is actually kind of cool, like the closet to Narnia) until they're ready to commit to a full redesign.

Agreed. It looks bad to have this faux movie set just a few hundred feet from Galaxy's Edge.

DHS has kept a lot of what should have gone years ago (like BatB) and removed the good stuff (GMR, Animation studio etc).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I voted "Other"...

Synch it to the music and video from Soarin' over California and Soarin' over the World and let's have Soarin 4-D in the simulators.
I love this. Soarin' over (insert place here). I might rename it Flyin' since it is a slightly different feel and I think it works best when you feel like your velocity is fast enough to be interesting. You could have tons of places. Fantasy places. Real places. I feel like we have to include the vacation gone awry where we learn that our vacation plane or spaceship or whatever is packing serious heat so we can blast our way out of the situation.

ppete1975

Original Poster
Why does it need to change at all? Aside from the aforementioned destination updates.
because it isnt attached to the other star wars stuff. I could have sworn there was alot of debate about this when GE was being built with many insiders saying it was a done deal. Then again ive bumped my head alot over the years.

Same thought process that indy would eventually be reused for something else.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I love Pigs in Space idea. It works well that there really isn’t any formed expectation of them decades after their peak. So imagineering could run in any direction, and I’d love to see them really give guests an upfront and personal experience of all the mind blowingness of our universe. With comic relief!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom