What secrets do YOU know????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonorailBlack

Original Poster
I really like these posts that have some neat replies, so here I have one...what have the observant ones out there noticed in terms of secrets or behind the scenes features at Walt Dinsey World??

For instance, a few could be,

Have you noticed the survellaince camera that rides in your car on the Tower of Terror?
or...
Did you know that the people in charge of making the Contemporary Hotel a reality, a contracted company with a name like US Steel Co....actually was refusing to run the monorail thru the center, for they did not want the Hotel to look like Grand Central Station...Roy Disney quickly fixed that!!!
or.....
ever seen those laser guides that line up you log before you drop on Splash Mountain, to the left and right of every lift and drop.

Add what you might know!!!

:sohappy: :king:

adr315

Maybe old?

Dunno if any of you know, but i heard that turning on some sort of camcorder (or electronic device using infa-red or UV rays) will automatically turn the lights on, on Space Mountain, and cause the ride to stop. I have heard this from various places. Also, my sister told me when she went to MK (like 2 weeks ago for the Christian music festival) that she rode Space Mountain with the lights on! Musta been cool. Any other cool secrets? Peace

bjshade23

I'm not to sure if this is a secret of not, but what I have heard was that if it seems that AK is always hotter than any other park it is the truth because when they built AK everything on the outside was built up and so in a sense that built it with no air flow at all.
Another thing that I know about may be considered a secret is that on the Safari ride at AK they don't put all the animals out at a time, and when it comes to "calling" them in for the nite if they don't come they don't make them.
I'll let you know if I think of anymore.

bigmayn01

If my memory serves me correctly...on the Pirates if the Caribbean near the end where the 3 inmates are tryin to get the key from the dog the tallest man's face is none other than Walt Disney's good friend Sid Caesar

Al

i heard this somewhere on these forums - apparently if u put on nightvision in dinosaur, then you can see all the laser ( or whatever) beams everywhere beaming the sound to the car.

MarknSue

Originally posted by bjshade23
I'm not to sure if this is a secret of not, but what I have heard was that if it seems that AK is always hotter than any other park it is the truth because when they built AK everything on the outside was built up and so in a sense that built it with no air flow at all.
Another thing that I know about may be considered a secret is that on the Safari ride at AK they don't put all the animals out at a time, and when it comes to "calling" them in for the nite if they don't come they don't make them.
I'll let you know if I think of anymore.

You know thats odd! We've always said that it felt like they managed to pipe in cold air in Animal Kingdom as every time we go it is absolutley freezing! All the pictures we have in AK are us asking CMs if they sell gloves and scarves, or with big thick woolly pullys on. Even have Mickie and Minnie rubbing our hands to try and warm them up.
And we're from England, so, we KNOW cold :)

DisJosh

Re: Maybe old?

Originally posted by adr315
Dunno if any of you know, but i heard that turning on some sort of camcorder (or electronic device using infa-red or UV rays) will automatically turn the lights on, on Space Mountain, and cause the ride to stop. I have heard this from various places. Also, my sister told me when she went to MK (like 2 weeks ago for the Christian music festival) that she rode Space Mountain with the lights on! Musta been cool. Any other cool secrets? Peace

Thats impossible seeing that the eerie lights that light up the control booths are black lights aka infrared lights. I've also taped space mountain with my camcorders night shot feature and still nothing.......

MonorailBlack

Original Poster
Monorails

On my most recent trip to Walt Disney World, while riding the monorail through the Contemporary, I was with my girlfirend and another couple....the dirver was a real bandit...he would speed up whenever he could and if the alarm went off, he would brake and speed back up...he showed us that out of the Contemporary and to the Magic Kingdom, you can speed up alot and the train whipped out of the Contemporary....it was pretty funny...but I asked him what happens if at 11pm a driver blows the horn through the middle of the hotel..he said one driver did that and was fired the next day....I jst cant imagine sitting in the lobby and the monorail, usually quiet, blares its horns....lol..funny if you picture it!!!

:zipit: :zipit: :zipit:

Maria

Originally posted by MarknSue

You know thats odd! We've always said that it felt like they managed to pipe in cold air in Animal Kingdom as every time we go it is absolutley freezing! All the pictures we have in AK are us asking CMs if they sell gloves and scarves, or with big thick woolly pullys on. Even have Mickie and Minnie rubbing our hands to try and warm them up.
And we're from England, so, we KNOW cold :)

I lived in Orlando for 15 months so I experienced the four seasons there... AK is soooooo hot in the summer they even bring hoses to soak people! but it is the coldest park in the winter! I agree!! Freeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzing!! I don´t know why...

MrPromey

Originally posted by Maria

I lived in Orlando for 15 months so I experienced the four seasons there... AK is soooooo hot in the summer they even bring hoses to soak people! but it is the coldest park in the winter! I agree!! Freeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzing!! I don´t know why...

My guess would be because of the environment of the park. If you look at the four parks, almost everything at AK is outdoors and it's all very spread out. On a warm day at the MK you are passing by many buildings with A/C running and open doors spilling that air onto the streets. On cold days you are walking by buildings with heat doing the same thing. Even in Epcot where some things are rather spread out, the only time you are really outside is when you are traveling between attractions. At AK, the only three attractions that come to mind that are totally indoors with A/C are "It's Tough to be a Bug", "Dinosaur" and part of "Conservation Station", everything else, including some of the lines, is outdoors without A/C of any kind. At the MK even on rides like Splash and Big Thunder Mountain, parts of the ride pass through environmentally controlled rooms… Just a thought, anyway :)

Maria

Originally posted by MrPromey

My guess would be because of the environment of the park. If you look at the four parks, almost everything at AK is outdoors and it's all very spread out. On a warm day at the MK you are passing by many buildings with A/C running and open doors spilling that air onto the streets. On cold days you are walking by buildings with heat doing the same thing. Even in Epcot where some things are rather spread out, the only time you are really outside is when you are traveling between attractions. At AK, the only three attractions that come to mind that are totally indoors with A/C are "It's Tough to be a Bug", "Dinosaur" and part of "Conservation Station", everything else, including some of the lines, is outdoors without A/C of any kind. At the MK even on rides like Splash and Big Thunder Mountain, parts of the ride pass through environmentally controlled rooms… Just a thought, anyway :)

I totally agree with you. I think the same but was too lazy to write it down.... hehe ;) It´s true, the second coldest one is Epcot at nights, the lagoon makes it freezing and more humid than any other one in the winter. bbbrrrr!

MCMike37

Well, I am so full of secrets, and just odd knowledge, a few that I will throw out for fun...

-The rooms in the contemporary are modules. They were designed to be able to be slid in and out of the hotel from the outside. Too bad once they were slid into the sleeves, the humidty and heat caused them to expand forever wedging them into their spots.
-Forced perspective is used all over the Parks. The second story of Main Street is about half scale to what the real scale would be, along with the Castle, and many of the buildings in EPCOT as well (Canada, Frane, Norway, etc.)
-In Space Mountain, the point at which your car waits for takeoff in the lauch tunnel, they are actually weighing the car and determining the fastest speed the car should be able to obtain safely.
-The main reason Illuminations for so long was the same and no new countires were added into the show (IE Norway, Morocco) was that GE didn't at that time want to spend anymore money on the show. Hence them dropping the sponsorship of Horrizons.

Monorail Lime

Re: Monorails

Originally posted by MonorailBlack
I asked him what happens if at 11pm a driver blows the horn through the middle of the hotel..he said one driver did that and was fired the next day

Nice username you got there. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that was committed by a college program kid quite a few years ago. One of his CP buddies was working on the platform and he thought it would be cool to scare him. Those air driven horns are designed to be loud enough that when fully applied they can be heard by a train just out of visual range on the Epcot line, in other words quite a bit away. Inside the Contemporary, all that sound had many large flat glass or concrete surfaces to reverb off of. Not only did it scare his friend, but it also broke plates at the restaurant, damaged some windows, and sparked a number of lawsuits from guests. The pilot was fired by the end of the shift and sent home, and CPers were banned from monorails for a few years.

EDIT: about the Contemporary "hill"... that's the highest point on the beamway, and none of the emergency equipment could reach a monorail if it were stuck just outside of the hotel. The official procedure in such a case is bleed off all the brake pressure (using a manual valve if necissary) and let the train coast down the hill.

Next time you are in the front cab, look for a small door with a keyhole under the passenger seat. That's the vavle. Quiz your pilot and make sure he or she knows that. :D

in the pirates of the carribean also if you say george isnt real the ride will break down the. castmembers have to say hello to george or something bad will happen to them

Skipper Timekpr

When I was trained at Jungle Cruise to exit guests from Pirates, I was told that too but have never rode the ride and said it, usually because I forget but supposedly it is true if you actually mean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom