What Resort do you love to stay at? And which do you not enjoy as much?

Rachel S1321

I am currently booked at Coronado with my family for next September. We've always stayed at values, and I'm not sure if I'm making the right call to go moderate next stay. We spend some time swimming each day, and usually eat once a day at the resort. I am wondering what resorts you all love to stay at, and if you have any you don't recommend let me know. We are a family of 4. My kids will be 9 and 5 when we travel, and are happy with any pool really. We stayed at POP last trip and the kids loved it, my hubby didn't so much. We've also done Music and loved it. I am conflicted on where to stay? Does this happen to others?

MissingDisney

Our kids were probably about 7-9 when we made the move to moderate. Prior to that, they loved the larger-than-life value resort theming and it served us just fine. Pop was our favorite over the All Stars. Admittedly, we've stayed at AofA in LM room for 2 nights before starting a package at a deluxe just recently. As my teens are now 6' plus, it was tight but everyone loved the resort, even the teen boys. :) Our first mod was CBR. Loved the theming and hammocks, the pool is awesome for adults and kids and it made a great impression on them. The rooms were noticeably bigger. We haven't done a value vacation since. However, POFQ has become our home resort, it seems. It's just perfect for us in size and pace, and the location has always been thought to be the most convenient for what we do. The new kids play area is incredible and our kids are a bit jealous it wasn't around when they were little enough to play in it. :rolleyes: We've since gone deluxe and it's nice but honestly, the kids ask to go back to POFQ.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

I've been fortunate to stay at all the resorts except for Art of Animation (which I have visited).

Earlier this year we stayed at Coronado Springs Resort (CSR). (Our previous stay was over a decade ago.) The resort and rooms are pleasant, definitely a step up from the Value Resorts. CSR has one of the nicer pools, oversized and relaxing:

CSR pool.jpg

When we were there, the rooms were being refurbished. The updated rooms are nice:

CSR refurbished room.jpg

The downside is that there is major construction going on at CSR at the moment. The construction is off to one side of the hotel. The lobby, food court, and pools are open and unaffected.

Young children tend to like the bright colors and oversized displays at the Value Resorts. Lots of kids, lots of noise, lots of excitement.

Understandably, your husband might enjoy the Values considerably less than your children. Lines for the bus and food court can be long. Guests can be noisy coming back from the theme parks late in the evening. The rooms are small, a tight fit for 2 adults and 2 children.

Ultimately, a WDW hotel is a place to sleep, shower, and swim. You can do that at any WDW hotel. How important your comfort is while doing these things is a matter of personal preference. I certainly have my favorite Disney hotels and, having been to the theme parks many times, prefer to spend more time relaxing at the hotel.

Ask yourself a question: What's the price difference between hotels, and would you and your husband rather spend that money on something else?

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Second all of what @ParentsOf4 said. When the kids were little, the trips were all about them-what they were into, characters, etc. As they got older, they became more about family interests as a whole and more laid back. I will say I REALLY appreciate those hot tubs at the mods after a day in the parks. ;) The mods definitely have a different vibe to us but we liked it and the kid areas are awesome. And the still have pool games, etc if they're into that. We actually found we spent more resort time once we moved to the moderates because it wasn't crazy hectic and found it quite enjoyable. We would head to a park in the late afternoon/evening, venture out shopping, etc feeling relaxed. But you know your family, it's what you want out of your vacation. Hope this helps some. :)

Upvote 0

Simba's Mom

I haven't stayed at all the resorts, only 10 of them. When the kids were little our favorite was Fort Wilderness Cabins (back then called Trailer Homes). Now my favorite is the Beach Club Villas and DH's favorite is Old Key West, so we alternate! My least favorite, by far, is All Star Music.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

@Rachel S1321 I hear you. I think our biggest conflict when planning a trip is to go back to where we love versus trying somewhere new. We want it both ways! We aren't stay splitting kind of people so the consequence of that is having to make a choice and enjoy it. We double stayed just once at the Poly and have chosen to keep trying new places since. We get our fixes by dining at or just visiting our faves. I've never had a bad stay anywhere on property.
I say stay at Coronado. Give it a chance. I think you'll enjoy it based on your family's patterns.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Coronado is nice. Be Warned: It is a convention hotel. Something about seeing people in suits, sports jackets, and power suits at all hours with lanyards draped all over them - may diminish the magic. But no more so than a cheerleader or pop warner squad at All Stars or on occasion PoP or Riverside.

Overall CSR is a nice resort. Bigger than you'd think and has good options.

I personally enjoy Port Orleans Riverside as a moderate and WL as a deluxe. Can't go wrong at Saratoga, Beach Club (Great Pool), or OKW either.

If you like pools and want one of the best (non-theme park) you'll need to stay "on property" (yet non-Disney) at Hilton Bonnet Creek. You will need a car though. Swolphin is also another great choice and wont break the bank - and you get Disney Transportation there (but no charging privilege on the Magic Band).

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

I love Coronado Springs Resort and I cant wait to see it once all the new additions are added.

I loath the All Star Resorts, I find them obnoxious and frankly would rather pay less off property than stay in any of these.

Upvote 0

75disney

My girls were 11 and 8, when we stayed at CSR. We all absolutely loved it. My husband and I loved the theme and beauty of the resort. We enjoyed the Maya Grill. The food court was fine. The location was good. The girls loved the pool and playground. They really enjoyed eating breakfast and watching the turtles and little alligator in the water beneath them. After staying at many WDW hotels, from Deluxe to Value, it is our favorite one. I hate the Values. I also dislike the Grand Floridian. It is nice to visit at Christmastime and to eat there, but I just always enjoyed the atmosphere at the other hotels more.

Upvote 0

Cetta

I was in 14 and my brother was 9 when we stayed at CSR and I remember it being very pretty and we saw an armadillo and lots of little lizards and stuff. The pool was awesome!! This was like 16 years ago tho.

Upvote 0

Jedi Stitch

Coronado is nice. Be Warned: It is a convention hotel. Something about seeing people in suits, sports jackets, and power suits at all hours with lanyards draped all over them - may diminish the magic. But no more so than a cheerleader or pop warner squad at All Stars or on occasion PoP or Riverside.

Overall CSR is a nice resort. Bigger than you'd think and has good options.

I personally enjoy Port Orleans Riverside as a moderate and WL as a deluxe. Can't go wrong at Saratoga, Beach Club (Great Pool), or OKW either.

If you like pools and want one of the best (non-theme park) you'll need to stay "on property" (yet non-Disney) at Hilton Bonnet Creek. You will need a car though. Swolphin is also another great choice and wont break the bank - and you get Disney Transportation there (but no charging privilege on the Magic Band).
I personally only have stayed at the All Star Movie. It was functional for just a sleep place. We decided that after visiting almost all the resorts, we will spend the money for the Poly next time. I had worked for a large corporation that every year would send people to a two week class put on by our industries professional association. Orlando would fill up with the salesmen and managers every year, and they would always come back with pictures of Mouse Bound vacationers in the background. I bet some of Mouse bound had Convention bound people in the photo bombed in their pictures too. I agree with this poster. We stopped in to check the place out, it was cool, but the conventioneer vibe was weird after being in the Disney bubble for a few days. But that is just me.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Weve stayed at the Contemp, Poly and POFQ. We have never stayed at any of the values but friends who have, have given us reasons to stay away from them. We Love, Love, LOVE POFQ. They have never given us reason to stay elsewhere.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Here's my (not misspelled ;) )
Deluxe: I loved the Contemporary, it was and still is the ultimate disney resort. You can walk to MK, the monorail rides through it, and its just an awesome experience.
Moderate: Port Orleans Riverside. A beautiful resort, that has a small resort vibe. I really enjoyed this resort.
Value: Pop Century, for the money I paid, I felt it was like a moderate resort. It was excellent.

I don't have any resorts that I didn't enjoy, and I've stayed at a bunch.

Upvote 0

SAV

We started as POPpers, then went up to Coronado Springs and I won't go back. The larger room size and queen beds are what did it. Once there, loved the vibe of the place and the grounds are beautiful. Dig site pool is really nice with the water slide, but we preferred the quiet pool by our room.

As was mentioned it is a Convention resort, so you do get some deluxe amenities at the Moderate price. I don't know why seeing someone in business attire would bother anyone, but to each their own. I couldn't care less that they were there.

Upvote 0

Rumrunner

I am currently booked at Coronado with my family for next September. We've always stayed at values, and I'm not sure if I'm making the right call to go moderate next stay. We spend some time swimming each day, and usually eat once a day at the resort. I am wondering what resorts you all love to stay at, and if you have any you don't recommend let me know. We are a family of 4. My kids will be 9 and 5 when we travel, and are happy with any pool really. We stayed at POP last trip and the kids loved it, my hubby didn't so much. We've also done Music and loved it. I am conflicted on where to stay? Does this happen to others?
We have always enjoyed Coronado Springs. Party of 12 with lots of kids 8,6,5,4,3 and1= ages. CS has the best pool, slide (kids love the slide), and hot tub( adults love the hot tub) The rooms are not plush but are very nice. We never spend much time at the motel, except to swim-try to maximize our park time. We eat breakfast in our rooms, eat one meal at the park, and have sandwiches etc when we arrive back at night. We just don't have the money to eat out a lot and have never used any of the CS dining facilities.
We have reservations again at CS in June 2018.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

correcaminos

For us the resorts are more than just a place to sleep. We spend a lot more time than we used to in the resort area so to us, there is a bonus to getting bigger rooms and a few more things to do at resorts. We absolutely loved CSR though. I think it's my favorite moderate. After spending time at All Stars and Pop, I know they aren't for us. If your husband wasn't a fan, the move to moderates might just be what you need as a family.

I'm going to say something about the 'convention resort' aspect of it all. I hope everyone realizes that deluxes are also "convention resorts" as well. If a suit bothers you, then by all means stay in the values. Considering management of CMs are often found in suits I don't see why it should bother you though. Also most of the conventioneers we saw were in business casual and we're not above wearing that to nicer dinners and such. Do not like that deter you.

We are not value fans so I won't rank those. For moderates we love CSR and then POR. Deluxe I love Polynesian best. My son thinks AKL is it for a tie. We also are huge fans of OKW for a relaxed stay.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom