What other place in the world gives you a "feeling" that can compare to WDW?

Spike-in-Berlin

So far no other place. Perhaps Disneyland would create a similar feeling although I doubt it, DL is too small and too tightly surrounded by the ugly "outer void" (our term for the world outside the borders of WDW) to have the same immersive and escapistic qualities of WDW.

mickey2008.1

Dropping out of a plane at 20,000 feet, Pure exhilaration and true peace.

But on the ground, we love to go to Frankenmuth Michigan. It's a little bavaria with the best German food and chicken dinners. It also has the worlds largest Christmas store with unique pictures of Walt Disney stuff, signed animations, money, and lots of Disney merchandise related to Christmas.

jlevis

Nothing give me that Disney feeling. But close is the feeling of patiotism I get from Arlington Cemetary and the Tomb of the Unknowns. Also, the feeling I get at Mt. Rushmore.

real mad hatter

Here's my top ten.

In 10.. The island of Santorini in Greece.In 9..Montreal where I lived for 18 months..In 8..Tijuana what the real Mexico is like,In 7..San Diego,what a zoo..In 6 Times Sq in the big apple..In 5.. L.A. and Graums Chinese theatre..In 4.. The island of Crete,where we got married on the beach..In 3..Vegas,loved the atmosphere and hotels..In 2..Dubai were my brother in law lives with his camels.and in first position.WDW because it is the most magical place on earth.:wave:

Cmdr_Crimson

The Museum of Science & Industry and The Field Museum in Chicago has a Disney World feel to it.

The Field Musuem - gives it more Animal Kingdom like feel of course with Disney's Animal Kingdom help funded for our big T-Rex SUE.

For MSI - It has more of an Epcot-ish feel showing how technology and the use of future technology for The Land, Air, Health, Innovation, Imagination, Space, and Especially Science..Plus there is a little bit of Walt in the musuem..If you head over to Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle a miniature piece of artwork done By Walt Disney of Mickey and Minnie is used in one of the rooms..Making it one of Walt's OWN Hidden Mickey's
ChicagoHiddenmickey.jpg

MickeyPeace

Okay look, out of all the places I have travelled so far I still put Disney as the #1 place. There is a feeling I get from that place that is peerless. I am never more disapointed at flying home from somewhere than when I leave WDW. I do enjoy the all inclusive vacations where you just relax on the beach in Cuba, or Jamaica or Dominican and while I miss those places I also am ready to go back home for North American food. I get a feeling at those places, but its more just a relaxing feeling than anything.

But I certainly am able to appreciate other places that give you that depression when you leave them. In other words when you are there you feel you are in an "it" place. Here are examples for me:

New York City - Most notably Manhattan. I went for the first time in November 2011. My wife had been there and she knew what to expect. I thought I did but man was that place amazing. I kept thinking about the Frank Sinatra song "New York, New York" or Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" song. I officially "got" the reason why people sing about this city. The Empire State Building was so beautiful and New York was breathtaking from that viewpoint. Ground zero, Central Park, Times Square, NBC Studios, the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" restaurant, Little Italy, Chinatown, were among the highlights. Seeing a rehearsal for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was incredible. He tested out some jokes on us and he literally used those same jokes that night. I know because we watched it at our hotel. The sheer size of Manhattan was overwhelming. When we drove home I said to my wife that New York is the best city in the world. I understood the feeling from it.

I have thought about writing about this topic before. I live in NYC. It truly is the greatest city.
Whenever I am missing WDW there are many ways I can get my fix right here.
The restaurants (in my neighborhood alone, midtown west) are a world showcase. If I want Moroccan, Japanese, French, etc I can get an authentic experience.

If I miss Tomorrowland I can go up to Rose Space Center. It even looks like Spaceship Earth.

If i miss AK, I can go to the Bronx Zoo or Central Park Zoo.

On and on, there is so much here. I have lived here more than half my life and still love NYC!

Having said that I can't wait to be at Saratoga Springs Resort in three weeks. :animwink:

Sweet Melissa

Um ... Disneyland?

That's really about it for me. The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco came close. I do get that feeling of happy excitement when I fly home (to Northern California) for a visit, too. When the plane starts making its final descent, I get a little giddy.

timoteo

I have thought about writing about this topic before. I live in NYC. It truly is the greatest city.
The restaurants (in my neighborhood alone, midtown west) are a world showcase. If I want Moroccan, Japanese, French, etc I can get an authentic experience.

If I miss Tomorrowland I can go up to Rose Space Center. It even looks like Spaceship Earth.

On and on, there is so much here. I have lived here more than half my life and still love NYC!

Having said that I can't wait to be at Saratoga Springs Resort in three weeks. :animwink:

You are so right. Saw Mary Poppins and that was a nice fix too.

Tomi-Rocket

Is this sad?

None. There is no place I've been yet that gives me even remotely the same feeling as WDW. I don't know if that's sad or not. Maybe I'm just too much of a fanatic.

One place I do LOVE to go to, however, is the Boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. Maybe after I've visited Europe someday I'll have a different answer. I have travelled a bit, don't get me wrong - been to NYC, Boston, Seattle, Anchorage, Montreal and Philly just to name a few but still no place compares or gives me the feeling I get even as we get closer to arriving on property. Or driving past the sign for the hotel we're staying in. Or the first time I see the castle.
Right now WDW truly is my favorite place on Earth! :wave:

WorldKey

On a recent trip to Germany:

-Neuschwanstein Castle....breathtaking view from Mary's Bridge high above in the nearby mountains....Disney's inspiration for Sleeping Beauty's Castle (this is a different angle though)

picture.php

-Rothenburg ob der Tauber....little story book medieval town...truly reminds you of some of the facades in Fantasyland

picture.php

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

Another NYer (born & raised in the Bronx ;)) who'll be at WDW in three weeks! Maybe I'll see you around?! I'll be just down the street at Old Key West. :D

Sans Souci

Christmas time in England. I love it, it feels more festive there. I really like going to the pub before Christmas dinner, the Christmas dinner my MIL does, and I like shopping in Chester. I love the Christmas music, the television shows, etc. I am very excited about going this year. :)

sweetpee_1993

Disney cruising has spanked WDW for me. Why go fight the masses? Old-school Disney quality, detail, service, fun, & whimsy in a laid back atmosphere with tons to do & see. I can get all my Disney magic without the crazy work planning ADRs 6 months out, no masses to navigate, all laid back and awesome.

Not the same feeling but definitely the same volume of emotion/enjoyment:

San Antonio: Hyatt Hill Country Resort...Sea World...and new this year is an Aquatica. There's so much to do and see over in San Antonio. We stayed at the Hyatt when we evacuated for Hurricane Gustav back in '08 & it was bliss. I didn't even care if my house blew away! I floated down the lazy river, drank fruity drinks in the shade, and basked in the glory of pain killers & muscle relaxers 2+ days post op. Glorious moment in time.

Washington DC. It was unGodly hot the July 4th week we were there back in 98 or 99. Laying out on the lawn at the National Mall waiting for the sun to go down for the fireworks to start was misery...it was record heat...we stripped the boys to their diapers but the baby was still spewing his bottle contents...just when I thought I'd fix that stoopid husband of mine for subjecting me to this the fireworks started and all was forgotten in an instant. Seriously one of the most incredible experiences of my life. You just think WDW puts on a good pyro show. We didn't get to do near as much as we wanted to there. Going to the Vietnam Memorial at midnight was something I'll never forget. Reading the letters left for the fallen, the trinkets, seeing the entirety of it, and how much that place means to me. And Dad. Seeing it with my inlaws knowing those names were their generation. Experiencing what it means to them. Very poignant. Blessed to have had that moment.

Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum with my little family last year. My boys weren't alive when that tragedy took place. Only the oldest had even a little prior knowledge. Its a very powerful place. The museum presents that day as if you're there before, during, and after the explosion. The hall memoriizing the fallen is lined with pictures of each person, their name, and an acrylic box for each person's family to leave something for them or that represents them. The one that grabbed me was a toddler who had nothing in the box but a pacifier. The mom in me gets that. If you ever get the chance to go, do it. My boys learned so much there.

Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida. Been going there as long as I can remember. A piece of my heart will always be there, too. I've been to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum but it's just not as well done as the Naval Aviation Museum. Granted, the Smithsonian has artifacts and planes that are incredibly significant...but their presentation and overall quality & experience just doesn't compare.

New Orleans...or Covington, Louisiana. There's nothing like the feeling of going home again.

Love Atlanta! Love going anywhere really with my family! For me the joy is in making memories. We've got great ones at WDW but we have equally amazing ones in other places. :wave:

Californian Elitist

So far no other place. Perhaps Disneyland would create a similar feeling although I doubt it, DL is too small and too tightly surrounded by the ugly "outer void" (our term for the world outside the borders of WDW) to have the same immersive and escapistic qualities of WDW.

I'm guessing you've never even set foot in Disneyland?:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom