What new Disney restaurant would you open?

UNCgolf

Bingo.

It's as if it's all coming out of the same kitchen with different spice racks and minor changes in presentation.

There are a handful of restaurants across the property that don't fit this description, but in general this is pretty accurate. It wasn't always that way, of course -- it's turned into that over the past 15 or so years.

Disney Springs is its own thing too. Not that the food there is especially amazing across the board, but it's absolutely different and generally of higher quality than what you get at the parks/resorts.

Hockey89

There are a handful of restaurants across the property that don't fit this description, but in general this is pretty accurate. It wasn't always that way, of course -- it's turned into that over the past 15 or so years.

Disney Springs is its own thing too. Not that the food there is especially amazing across the board, but it's absolutely different and generally of higher quality than what you get at the parks/resorts.
Yup.

GinaD613

Freshly made kosher food. See my thread in dining from our trip in February to see why.

How about that promised Israel pavilion in WS? It could have a QS felafel joint with meat and non-dairy vegetarian dishes, a dairy Qs with bagels and pizza and a TS with Jewish comfort food (matzo ball soup, stuffed cabbage, deli sandwiches, etc.)

can’t really think of any Disney theming, no Jewish characters come to mind.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Freshly made kosher food. See my thread in dining from our trip in February to see why.

How about that promised Israel pavilion in WS? It could have a QS felafel joint with meat and non-dairy vegetarian dishes, a dairy Qs with bagels and pizza and a TS with Jewish comfort food (matzo ball soup, stuffed cabbage, deli sandwiches, etc.)

can’t really think of any Disney theming, no Jewish characters come to mind.

They could always stick a Schwartz's in the Canadian Pavilion. But only if they also add a Timmy's and turn Le Cellier into a Que de Chaval or a Hy's.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

What new Disney restaurant would you open?​

Ehhhh - one that actually exists :). With STAFF, and reservations :).

Just suggesting that before anything "new" shows up? Everything Old gets shut down/or re-opened with staff.

MickeyLuv'r

Depends on what you're looking at. With QS and food courts, yeah, it's pretty much the same with a few differences here and there. Which is what I would expect. QS is basically the fast food of Disney (quicker, cheaper and simpler than other options-in theory), and that's what most fast food places are like. They all have the same basic set up of burgers, fries, nuggets, apples slices when you want to pretend to be healthy, and a few salads.

Dare I say, this isn't the case outside of WDW. Most areas offer high quality, fresh food, but drop the outdated table service model. The new model of dining, as expressed in WDW terms, are places like Blaze Pizza. For a fixed price, patrons pick the exact toppings they like. Aventura at Universal also has a place like this; they offer stir fry or soup with your choice of ingredients.

What I'd like to see at WDW is more of this type of dining. Maybe with world cuisines, but simply offering fresh seasonal produce, where patrons choose what combinations we want.

A specific option I'd like to see at WDW is St. Augustine's Hyppo, or the Everglades' "Robert is Here" fruit stand. The Hyppo makes excellent frozen fruit bars in fun combinations. Robert is Here makes smoothies and milkshakes using extremely fresh and often exotic tropical produce. (Picture insanely fresh mango smoothies! or Key lime! Or key lime + mango.)

My biggest request is that WDW needs more produce! Quality produce. At a reasonable price. Sadly, often at WDW, I don't know why, but WDW is just too often nasty. Why is it so hard to get a fresh FL grapefruit? Or a bowl of strawberries? It is just sad that most WDW oranges are shipped from California! I'm not above a few fries from time to time, but I don't want to be stuck eating them every day. Nor should we have to pay for a $50 breakfast just to find strawberries.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Dare I say, this isn't the case outside of WDW. Most areas offer high quality, fresh food, but drop the outdated table service model. The new model of dining, as expressed in WDW terms, are places like Blaze Pizza. For a fixed price, patrons pick the exact toppings they like. Aventura at Universal also has a place like this; they offer stir fry or soup with your choice of ingredients.

What I'd like to see at WDW is more of this type of dining. Maybe with world cuisines, but simply offering fresh seasonal produce, where patrons choose what combinations we want.

A specific option I'd like to see at WDW is St. Augustine's Hyppo, or the Everglades' "Robert is Here" fruit stand. The Hyppo makes excellent frozen fruit bars in fun combinations. Robert is Here makes smoothies and milkshakes using extremely fresh and often exotic tropical produce. (Picture insanely fresh mango smoothies! or Key lime! Or key lime + mango.)

My biggest request is that WDW needs more produce! Quality produce. At a reasonable price. Sadly, often at WDW, I don't know why, but WDW is just too often nasty. Why is it so hard to get a fresh FL grapefruit? Or a bowl of strawberries? It is just sad that most WDW oranges are shipped from California! I'm not above a few fries from time to time, but I don't want to be stuck eating them every day. Nor should we have to pay for a $50 breakfast just to find strawberries.

It's an issue of scale. I don't envision Disney ever offering large amounts of fresh produce because it would be far too difficult and/or expensive. They could probably have a few small places with fresh produce, but you'd have to be prepared for them to either sell out regularly or that Disney would have to throw away tons of produce that goes bad before anyone purchases it.

It just doesn't make any sense for Disney to do so from a financial perspective.

MickeyLuv'r

It's an issue of scale. I don't envision Disney ever offering large amounts of fresh produce because it would be far too difficult and/or expensive. They could probably have a few small places with fresh produce, but you'd have to be prepared for them to either sell out regularly or that Disney would have to throw away tons of produce that goes bad before anyone purchases it.

It just doesn't make any sense for Disney to do so from a financial perspective.

As long as the fruit is fresh when frozen, fresh fruit bars taste great for several months.

Pepper Market used to have a fresh fruit station that featured custom bowls of fruit. It was awesome.

Beyond that, it isn't a fantasy, it is more or less now how millennials (want to) eat now. WDW is just stuck in the past, because they can get away with it. People buy the dining plan, and get stuck eating what WDW offers. WDW had an incentive to go as cheap as possible in their offerings.

But it is also part of why so many people are/were turning to grocery delivery. Grocery stores stock blueberries and strawberries year round, even during the pandemic. Toilet paper? Not always, but fresh strawberries have been consistently available. Blaze has always been packed whenever I visit.

I think the trend is coming to WDW, it is more a matter of when.

LittleMerman

I want a Frozen restaurant and I'm surprised there isn't one. I know so many people are over it lol but I'm not! I still love it and I'll take more. Would be really cute and they could even have an ice bar as part of it for adults with really cute cocktails. I'm thinking "snowball" martinis and that kind of thing. Maybe it would just be better as a bar but that would alienate kids.

ewillis99

I have a plan to totally re-imagine Boatwright's at Port Orleans Riverside. Disclaimers: I'm not a chef, nor do I have any restaurant experience.

We all know Boatwright's is atrocious. Combine that with the fact that I'm from Louisiana, so the insult of what they pass off as Cajun food is doubled. It's a crying shame that it's that bad.

Solution:
Get new recipes for Cajun staples like jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee, and others. Then source all of the ingredients from the Gulf Coast. They don't necessarily have to come from Louisiana, but they should be close.

Menu suggestions:
Have the aforementioned dishes and offer some specialty items like blackened seafood, alligator, poboys, and boudin. One particular sandwich I propose is a crab cake BLT with remoulade and fried green tomato. That and beignets might go well with a brunch option.

Dinner Event:
In the vein of the Luau at POLY or Mickey's Backyard BBQ, on certain nights we would offer Ray and Louie's Crawfish Feast. For $60/person and $45/kid, you get all you can eat boiled crawfish, shrimp, potatoes, corn, sausage, and anything else in the boil. We would have a Zydeco band playing and backyard games like cornhole. Louie, Ray, Tiana, and Naveen could come out and mingle too. Maybe even Mama Odie!

This is a pipe dream of mine, but I think it could be done with some Disney Magic and no Covid.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I have a plan to totally re-imagine Boatwright's at Port Orleans Riverside. Disclaimers: I'm not a chef, nor do I have any restaurant experience.

We all know Boatwright's is atrocious. Combine that with the fact that I'm from Louisiana, so the insult of what they pass off as Cajun food is doubled. It's a crying shame that it's that bad.

Solution:
Get new recipes for Cajun staples like jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee, and others. Then source all of the ingredients from the Gulf Coast. They don't necessarily have to come from Louisiana, but they should be close.

Menu suggestions:
Have the aforementioned dishes and offer some specialty items like blackened seafood, alligator, poboys, and boudin. One particular sandwich I propose is a crab cake BLT with remoulade and fried green tomato. That and beignets might go well with a brunch option.

Dinner Event:
In the vein of the Luau at POLY or Mickey's Backyard BBQ, on certain nights we would offer Ray and Louie's Crawfish Feast. For $60/person and $45/kid, you get all you can eat boiled crawfish, shrimp, potatoes, corn, sausage, and anything else in the boil. We would have a Zydeco band playing and backyard games like cornhole. Louie, Ray, Tiana, and Naveen could come out and mingle too. Maybe even Mama Odie!

This is a pipe dream of mine, but I think it could be done with some Disney Magic and no Covid.

I like the thought process. I'd go with a tie-in. Can't do Pat O's due to the Uni tie-in. But a Brennan's at POR/FQ would make a lot of sense. The Boatwright's space isn't that big. I'd love to see an investment into a bigger area (possibly in between the two resorts on one side of the bridge - either FQ or POR).

Buck Wheelie

How about a real Mexican restaurant outside of Epcot? CSR would have been the best place. If I recall correctly there used to be one there so maybe it wasn't successful. There is Frontera Cocina at DS but I thought something authentic at a resort like CSR would work especially since the updated the resort.

Tomi-Rocket

I would task my imagineers to create a new restaurant that was themed to the area it was in, not to an IP. An equivalent to Liberty Tree Tavern in Liberty Square, or Space 220 in Future World. Table service, not a quick service restaurant.

- Sci Fi restaurant in Tomorrowland. Not like the sci fi drive-in in HS, but something with robots and aliens! (No Stitch, please)
- Cowboy / Western Theme in Frontierland
- Pirate Restaurant! (I know, PotC has become an IP)

Quality of food is paramount, of course. We don't need another venue of pizza, burgers, chicken tenders, etc.

I wouldn't want characters that didn't fit the the theme. No Mickey dressed in a spacesuit, for instance.
No Stitch?!? How DARE you! 🤣 He IS an alien after all..👽

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom