What makes WDW that special place

bjshade23

Original Poster
I don't know if this is the best place for this topic but here it goes. What makes WDW the place that you want to go.

For me its walking down Main Street and the smell of the Bake Shop.

wdwrules

for me we always go to magic kingdom first and the excitement you get when you get on the monorail and the first time you see the castle always makes the trip worth it. seeing spaceship earth is always a cool feeling. i guess for me its pulling up to the kingdoms the first time and seeing everything from a distance:hammer:

DigitalDisney

For me, it's the theming, and the childhood memories. I don't know if I would enjoy WDW as much as I do now if I didn't go there frequently as a kid. It's not that exciting, and I know exactly what happens on all of the rides. But, for some reason, I still get excited on every visit.

Walking under the train station at the MK, looking from the hub into Tomorrowland, entering Innoventions plaza, entering Sunset Boulevard and staring at the TOT, and crossing from the Oasis into Safari Village are all experiences that send shivers up my spine.

Scooter

Answering this question is like me being in a candy shop and asking me which candies are the best.

Spaceship Earth and the fountain at Epcot always give me goosebumps when I'm there.

The Castle and the Partners Statue at The Magic Kindom take my breath away.

The Tigers at Animal Kingdom are scary but sooo impressive.

The giant guitar and the Looming Tower of Terror always seem to bring out the child in me at Disney MGM

But I would have to say...it's the MUSIC in the parks that really makes me feel good and makes me forget about my worries. The entrance music at all the parks and the walk around music played throughout the parks has an almost hypnotic effect...it just makes the Disney experiance more MAGICAL.:p

DisJosh

Originally posted by DisneyFreak
My fondest memories with my family are at DisneyWorld. That's it, 'nuff said.

Same for me! I dont have a big family, it's just me and my mom and I'll always have those memories of WDW w/ my mom.

Grim Grinner

I'd have to join everyone in saying that a large chunk of my childhood dreams were spent there. Of course, growing up in Illinois, I only got to visit three times. However, my folks bought me every picturebook and record there was so I could recreate it in my head. In particular, I loved the Haunted Mansion record which told the story of Mike and Carole, two teenagers who head to the Haunted Mansion to get out of the rain. I also had the Country Bears Jamboree record, complete with a huge bio for each bear.

Coincidenatally, I had another theme park with a castle as a centerpiece by my home called Kiddie Kingdom.

I love theme and amusement park rides.

Debbie

There are so many!
I still get excited when we turn off of US192 onto the road leading up to the MK parking. Then as we proceed thru and we head to the Polynesian to check in our room; I have this smile that noone could wipe off of my face. Just checking in our room and checking out our view is exiting. Then it's watching our boys enjoy the whole experience. And falling in love all over again with my husband as we sit our at nite drinking beer and watching the parade on the lagoon and the fireworks in the sky.:)

The Mom

Premium Member
As I was already an adult when the MK opened, I don't have childhood memories of WDW. My first trip was just after Epcot opened, and I remember the thrill I got when I first saw Space Ship Earth, and the "glass" fountain and flowerbeds leading to it, with the music playing in the background. Unfortunately, that is gone now (not SE, but the rest) The first few times I went, I stayed off site. Now I really feel I've "arrived" when I drive onto the grounds of my WDW resort and see people waiting to go to the parks...I can't wait to check in and head out! :)

mej

I just love walking under the railway at the MK and seeing Main Street in front of me. It's like "coming home". I love the music as well.

Lance

There are too many things that make WDW the greatest.

So all I can say: WDW is real special when I encounter the Magic Kingdom Resorts, they are the best on the property, and they are only in WDW.

Camelot

I, too, was an adult already when I started going to WDW, because as a kid living in Philly, we vacationed mostly in Altantic City, N.J.

So, for me, what makes WDW that special place, is that , many years ago, as a young adult, I went to see WDW two years in a row with my Mom, and I enjoyed seeing her enjoy herself. I'll cherish the memories of those two trips for the rest of my life.

Dizknee_Phreek

SO many reasons! most have already been named. DEFINATELY the childhood memories. I've been thirteen times since 1992. my first trip was in June and it was the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade. i've been obsessed with it ever since...and thankfully, my whole family has been obsessed as well (which means fairly frequent visits considering we live in KY)

believe it or not, i love the drive! 99% of the time we drive at night, and i'm a night owl as it is, so i love the night time travel. although, we're usually in southern GA, northen FL by dawn, and after that it seems like the trip takes FOREVER!

someone also mentioned music. just today i was decorating my living room for Halloween, and i filled my dad's 5-changer cd player with nothing but Disney World music. i swear, my heart soars everytime i hear that music!

Tomorrowland. i LOVE tomorrowland. especially at night! there's nothing in the world like tomorrowland at night!! the music, the lights, the atmoshpere...it's so beautiful!
adventureland used to be a top priority for me....but they just HAD to change it to agrabah, didn't they? don't get me wrong, i love the aladdin ride, and the themeing is awesome, but i would've loved the changes 100 times more if they were temporary.

the resorts! the resorts are one of the greatest things about WDW! i could spend a whole week just visiting resorts! my faves to stay at are Dixie Landings (now known as Riverside, but it will ALWAYS be Dixie Landings to me!), All Star Music, Boardwalk, and Wilderness Lodge. i would LOVE to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge too...it's probably the best thing WDW has built within the past 2 or 3 years! just in my opinion at least.

the people. you meet some of the neatest people there! of course, with the good comes the bad, but you just have to overlook the rude ones, otherwise it'll ruin your day! and the castmembers are awesome! (especially one i've been searching for for over a year) though i've heard through some people on these boards (i believe...) that the quality of cm's is going down some.

the magic. everyone else in my family (grandparents, etc.) wonder why my family and i go as often as we do. personally, it's because of how it makes me feel when i'm there. i'm happy, self-confident, secure, for the most part stress-free, and being there gives me a sense of freedom. of course, there's usually a breakout in my family where we just get on each other's nerves and we start getting in arguements or whatever....btw, does that happen with every family? hopefully it's not just mine.

great question, btw! it was fun to answer!!

Craigw

Speaking from a UK perspective, it holds a magical place in our hearts.

Personally, it is the whole atmosphere, which I think is generated by the CMs etc.

The service and attention to detail is breathtaking. Theme parks in the UK should be embarrassed to call themselves theme parks as they are not in the same universe!!!

Yes it is expensive, and as most UK visitors stay for at least 2 weeks you are going to blow a whole chunk of money when you go.....but it is worth every penny.

Having just come back from 2 weeks in August, the magic of seeing my two daughters (6 & 4) meet Belle and Ariel and Cinderella will live with us forever. A Life changing experience for the whole family.

Many people who have not been imagine it to be like the theme parks here in the UK and cannot undertsand the attraction. They think it is designed for kids. How wrong can they be. It is truly a magical place. If you could bottle the atmosphere and the heart warming experiences everyone would build a WDW.

This is turning into a bit of a rant now, but I feel strongly that WDW is somewhere for all the family to enjoy some fantastic experiences together. My family talk about Disney every day, and we all feel the better for it.

As you may have guessed, I quite like WDW!!!!!!:king:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I totally agree Craig - you summed up how people in the UK react to WDW - they just do not understand LOL I have pretty much given-in trying to get it through to them. They can stick with their Alton Towers! LOL :)

markymark

Yep, I'm with you too Craig. I have said it time and again that you cannot properly understand the place until you have been. I reckon I could talk about it all day to someone who has never been before, and it would still outstrip their expectations.

As far as Alton Towers is concerned... well, it can stay the crappy insignificant amusement park it is. To call it a theme park is a travesty against everything WDW stands for.

Chris

The thing that has always made WDW special to me is simply the MAGIC. As soon as you arrive on the resort, you are in another world. It is an escape for the realities of real life and it lets my whole family act like little kids again. You don't care about work to cleaning the house. The only thing that is important is trying to get from Buzz Lightyear to Splash Mountain in five minutes so you don't lose your fastpass. You can eat all you want stay out late and none of it really matters because WDW is MAGIC!

Lynn

:sohappy:

My favorite about Disney World is the Magic Kingdom . The fireworks and the parade at night are the best . I love being at Disney with my family .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom