What is your opinion on how to do Breakfast at WDW?

minnielaw

Glad you posted this question @disneygirl76 ! Some very interesting and varied responses which I have enjoyed reading.

We have tried breakfast in the room...pastries, cereal, etc...and it just didn't work for us. The high sugar content just left us drained in about an hour and a half. Now, we generally go to the food court or QS location at the park and pay out of pocket for a ham and egg croissant or breakfast platter. We are all then in a much better mood and able to last until after noon when we have lunch. We have never tried protein bars and they may work but since breakfast is the cheapest meal, this works for us.

75disney

On our first day, we use some of our snack credits to stockpile some quick breakfast items, like cereals, fruit, muffins, waters) in our room. Then each morning, we all eat something quick and light while everyone else is getting ready so we can get to the parks for rope drop and be ready to go. We do an early CS for lunch on most days then. The two exceptions are: Princess breakfast at Akershus on one of our Epcot days and Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House on our AK day.

LucyK

Culturally we're not huge breakfast eaters; we do brunch on Saturday and Sunday but during the week it's just toast and coffee/milk/tea so when we're at Disney we don't have a set of rules when it comes to breakfast.

We normally do a few character breakfast ADRs; Tusker House and Crystal Palace are a must. Otherwise we grab a mug of hot chocolate on our way to the parks and choose a place to spend our snack credit or even a QS credit if we are hungry.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
We utilize a grocery service and pick out some breakfast-y items, bottled water and snack foods to have in the room. That helps us grab something in the morning before we hit the parks so we're not drama mamas by lunch. We get realllllll ugly if we havent eaten in a few hours.

I hear ya! DH is a total crankpot! :)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
We've done many times where, since the quick services are usually a lot of food, had one or 2 people get a QS breakfast and later on the trip we'd split QS lunches so the credits balanced out.
With my toddler now we got good at snagging quick things form buffets we went to- fruit, pastries, etc and just hold on to one or 2 things and let him nibble that day or save it for tomorrow. I rarely am hungry for bfast at wdw, but the kiddo gotta eat.

Oh I would LOVE to do this but my DH just chows. I don't want to make him sound bad but he likes his full meals. I would LOVE to do it the way you do it though!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Well we got free QS DDP last year.That was 2 CS credits & 2 snacks..We're not big breakfast eaters so we used our CS credits for lunch & dinner..We either used a snack credit or just payed out of pocket.

Oh, that's nice. With 2 snack credits and 2 meals you can get a breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. I can't forgo my snack credit b/c I have so many snacks to eat! HA! :)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
We are a family of 3, so...

If we are going to be at park opening somewhere, we use 3 snack credits to get the 2 largest patries we can find and a large drink and split them all three ways.

If we are eating in our room, we get whatever the largest breakfast platter they serve at the resort QS and split that 3 ways while using our mugs for drinks.

And, of course, every few days we have a breakfast TS to really load up on breakfast goodies!

As a family of 3, we can easily use 2 CS for lunch that we split, so using 1 for breakfast works out great. We also usually bring some packs of mini-muffins (Entenmanns) and some Pop-tarts for those mornings that nobody wants to go out and pick anything up!!

I might have to just press my DH for splitting. Last trip in September, we spent SOOO much out of pocket on food and still had free dining. We did eat and drink around the world so that had something to do with the cost but I am trying to avoid too many OOP expenses.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Hey!:)

We aren't big breakfast eaters, but we usually have 1 ADR sit down breakfast. Typically it's Kona, CP, or CRT. The rest of the week we grab something quick, and eat a bigger lunch later in the day. I've never done the dining plan, but I imagine this is still how we'd do things. I'd use my TS for lunch or dinner most days.

Hi! Yes, we usually save them too for lunch or dinner too. With character breakfasts on some days too. :) I don't want to have too many out of pocket expenses. We kind of went all out in September and spend a lot - we did drink and eat around the world though. :)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I pack breakfast foods (muffins I make at home, Pop Tarts, cereal) and bring them with us. When we fly, I pack a suitcase with food then bring it back filled with souvenirs. I've recently seen those little organic milks in the grocery store and I plan to bring those with me for DD and DH each day. They don't need to be stored in the fridge so I'll chill one overnight in an ice bucket if the room fridges aren't replaced in time for our October visit. I'm diabetic so if I don't eat, my sugar low will give cranky a whole new meaning by mid-morning. I acknowledge this unpleasant side effect and eat to keep from subjecting my family to it! ;)

I like the pack snacks bring back souvenirs idea!! Love it!!!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Glad you posted this question @disneygirl76 ! Some very interesting and varied responses which I have enjoyed reading.

We have tried breakfast in the room...pastries, cereal, etc...and it just didn't work for us. The high sugar content just left us drained in about an hour and a half. Now, we generally go to the food court or QS location at the park and pay out of pocket for a ham and egg croissant or breakfast platter. We are all then in a much better mood and able to last until after noon when we have lunch. We have never tried protein bars and they may work but since breakfast is the cheapest meal, this works for us.

I know! Some great replies and loads of ideas! I like the packing food/drinks and bring back souvenirs. In September I had to the do the "bought to much, not enough room" suitcase scramble! :)

Shere_Khan

We usually pack some travel friendly items in our checked luggage like granola bars or packs of peanut butter/cheese crackers. One time I found these muffins that had like 6 wrapped in a box at the grocery store (I wanna say Sara Lee or something like that). Packed those and they surprisingly made it without getting smushed. Those were good too! I am not normally huge on breakfast so one of those items on the way out the door usually works. Or we may use a snack credit on a muffin or bagel or something to that extent at the food court.

A lot of times on the dining plan we seem to get so stuffed on the CS and TS every day that we eat lunch between 10 and 11 and then we are full until dinner around 6-7. That makes it so not eating breakfast wasn't too big of a deal. But if you are an early riser I would definitely pack some things to have in your room.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hubby is a big breakfast fan so we do at least one breakfast buffet on our trip. Sometimes we get a quick meal at our resort but that might only once as we like to be at the parks when they open. We also bring granola bars for the other mornings.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! You have some great suggestions and I got some really great ideas!

For packing food/drink to bring with you in a suitcase and then having that suitcase to return souvenirs home in, has anyone packed liquid? Like water bottles or diet coke bottles? I didn't know with security and regulations how that would work exactly. I could of course ship it, but then I run into not having the souvenir bag to come home with. I am sure I can think of something to remedy that though. We have always bought water, used the reusable water bottle, or bought soda at the World. We will not have a car so we are not going to be able to go to the grocer.

Sweet Melissa

I've never specifically packed groceries for a Disney vacation, but I have packed beer or wine in my checked bags before. I try to pack things like that really carefully so that they don't break and ruin my clothes (or worse, someone else's). From a regulations standpoint, though, it's not a problem to pack liquids in your checked bag. I've had relatives that have even brought back bottles of wine from overseas without trouble from customs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom