What is your "Getaway" spot at the Parks?

General Mayhem

Original Poster
This is more so for locals and frequent visitors, but when you're in need of a calm spot to relax where is it and why?

For me I have one in each park:

-Magic Kingdom
I absolutely adore and love the second floor of the Columbia Harbor House. I love this restaurant so much, since I was a child I have loved nautical themes and things. The music, the atmosphere transport me to calm night on the sea. When I used to hate my job and have really bad days I would go to this restaurant a lot to just calm down and forget my troubles.

-EPCOT
Far from being a secret but I frequent the Katsura Grill at the Japan Pavillion. I went to Japan once as a child and it was by far my favorite place I've ever visited. Eating here takes me back to that wonderful trip and the beautiful waterfall and views from the interior are just perfect.

-Disney Hollywood Studios
It's hard to pick one for this park because it's so small and condensed. For this park it's the alleyways of Grand Avenue, I love these back alleys because they remind me of old MGM Studios. For most of the day there's not many people back there, and the stores make for a great chance to escape the hustle and bustle.

Street-near-Muppet-Vision-3D-in-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios.jpg

-Disney's Animal Kingdom
This one I only like to visit in the latter part of the day, it's the Flame Tree Barbecue gardens. This area is so masterfully designed and gorgeous it's hard to believe they fit this oasis in one of the busiest places in the park. I love sitting out by the water watching Everest and after eating walking through the gardens and ponds.

So what about you? Where do you like to "Getaway?"

rreading

Epcot is replete with these kinds of spaces. I would say that my personal favorite there would be the gardens of the UK in World Showcase. My number two is the grassy area with gorgeous landscaping just west of Test Track - relaxing to see the baby rabbits that are there more often than not!

MK still has a few, though it's so much busier these days. The calmest one that takes me out of the parks is on the paths of Tom Sawyer Island. Probably my favorite place to relax at MK would be on the boardwalk along the water looking out at TSI and HM.

I don't find a calm/quiet place that's made for relaxing at HS (though the bar seating outside the Brown Derby comes closest), but I really enjoy the relative calm alcove off Sunset next to Sunset Club Couture that has restrooms tucked into the back. Feels like another age.

AK, like Epcot, has places to get away from everyone in abundance. I really like the quiet path that parallels the main path off to the right heading from Asia to Africa just past the bird show; as well as the new area on the path from Africa towards Pandora; but my most relaxing is the view of the Forbidden Mountain from the bridge in front of Africa.

These spaces are a big part of what make my Disney trips feel special!

rio

My spot in MK is the Peoplemover. I honestly don’t know what it is, but I just find it so relaxing.

In Epcot, Katsura Grill or the area behind the U.K. is it for me. The food’s great in Japan, while the U.K. can be quiet at times. However, Epcot is leagues more relaxed than any other park, except possibly AK.

Hollywood Studios: memories just take me back to the former Pizza Planet. However I have not been to this park since the new additions have opened up.

AK: the exhibits at the Oasis and surrounding the tree are fantastic, and most people don’t realize they’re there. Being able to rest around the lake and watching Everest is nice too.

belledream

I enjoy stumbling upon new or different places every time, so from our past trip...

MK: Liberty Square Riverboat - on a hot afternoon, a not-so-busy ride around the Mississippi brought us back feeling very refreshed.
DSC07950.JPG

Epcot: Imagination Pavilion - we thoroughly enjoy all the nooks of World Showcase, but spent a peaceful two hours sitting here in the breeze enjoying the monorail/fountain/SSE trifecta.
DSC06629.JPG

HS: I feel like no one ever really lingers around Echo Lake. It does get a little hot, but in the shade, we enjoy the music and light foot traffic.
DSC05000.JPG

AK: Gorilla Falls... the falls part after the gorillas. We actually had a great viewing of a gorilla cross this waterfall, and once he went away, so did everyone else. But we stayed here for a looong time because I mean, just look at it.
DSC06024.JPG

TLDR: I guess I find the look and sound of water to be my #1 calm getaway.

Raineman

My favourite is definitely the little covered courtyard behind Tamu Tamu at DAK. It's fairly quiet, it never seems to get too busy in there, lots of shade, nice theming. The fact that I usually have a Dole Whip & Rum in my hand when I am there doesn't hurt, either.
dining_location_image_338.jpg

Pepper's Ghost

-Magic Kingdom
I absolutely adore and love the second floor of the Columbia Harbor House. I love this restaurant so much

This exact area is one of two favorite spots in MK for me! I especially love the 2nd floor bridge that connects to Momento Mori over the walkway. 😁 There's also an area behind Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square that's nice and mostly quiet.

I dunno why, but I love a very non-aesthetically pleasing area in EPCOT. I don't know what the buildings are for, but it's between Test Track and Mexico...

epcot.JPG

UNCgolf

This exact area is one of two favorite spots in MK for me! I especially love the 2nd floor bridge that connects to Momento Mori over the walkway. 😁 There's also an area behind Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square that's nice and mostly quiet.

I dunno why, but I love a very non-aesthetically pleasing area in EPCOT. I don't know what the buildings are for, but it's between Test Track and Mexico...

View attachment 460714

That's the former Odyssey. It used to be a restaurant. It's been reopened and now houses the EPCOT Experience and has a quick service food counter again (although I wouldn't be surprised to see it closed again whenever EPCOT reopens after this). There are also bathrooms there and I think first aid.

Rosanne

If I have had enough of the park craziness I jump on the monorail and go to the Floridian for a drink. I also like the Raintree Cafe outside of Animal Kingdom. But, that can get pretty busy too. Epcot is by far the easiest place to find a quiet spot, sit & people watch. There arent as many kids there because there arent a lot of rides. That is fine with me. I hope they keep it that way.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is more so for locals and frequent visitors, but when you're in need of a calm spot to relax where is it and why?

For me I have one in each park:

-Magic Kingdom
I absolutely adore and love the second floor of the Columbia Harbor House. I love this restaurant so much, since I was a child I have loved nautical themes and things. The music, the atmosphere transport me to calm night on the sea. When I used to hate my job and have really bad days I would go to this restaurant a lot to just calm down and forget my troubles.

-EPCOT
Far from being a secret but I frequent the Katsura Grill at the Japan Pavillion. I went to Japan once as a child and it was by far my favorite place I've ever visited. Eating here takes me back to that wonderful trip and the beautiful waterfall and views from the interior are just perfect.

-Disney Hollywood Studios
It's hard to pick one for this park because it's so small and condensed. For this park it's the alleyways of Grand Avenue, I love these back alleys because they remind me of old MGM Studios. For most of the day there's not many people back there, and the stores make for a great chance to escape the hustle and bustle.

Street-near-Muppet-Vision-3D-in-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios.jpg

-Disney's Animal Kingdom
This one I only like to visit in the latter part of the day, it's the Flame Tree Barbecue gardens. This area is so masterfully designed and gorgeous it's hard to believe they fit this oasis in one of the busiest places in the park. I love sitting out by the water watching Everest and after eating walking through the gardens and ponds.

So what about you? Where do you like to "Getaway?"

I'll put in another vote for the second floor of Harbour House, especially the little "bridge" area of the walkway to Fantasyland.

In Epcot, inside the Morocco pavilion. The area where the shops are is just so peaceful.

For Animal Kingdom, the Discovery Island trail.

Can't really think of any place specific at DHS.

Clamman73

My favourite is definitely the little covered courtyard behind Tamu Tamu at DAK. It's fairly quiet, it never seems to get too busy in there, lots of shade, nice theming. The fact that I usually have a Dole Whip & Rum in my hand when I am there doesn't hurt, either.
View attachment 460712
That’s my quiet spot after rope drop FOP and quick River Journey Ride, grab coffee and bite to eat at Starbucks and sit down there...usually no one there.
Same with others at Harbor House...I go right at 11am and get a seat upstairs looking out at Rivers...same with Flame Tree with getting a seat by the water.

Raineman

That’s my quiet spot after rope drop FOP and quick River Journey Ride, grab coffee and bite to eat at Starbucks and sit down there...usually no one there.
Same with others at Harbor House...I go right at 11am and get a seat upstairs looking out at Rivers...same with Flame Tree with getting a seat by the water.
It's kind of crazy how Tamu Tamu is right at a busy corner in DAK, but the seating area behind it is so quiet.

Minnesota disney fan

MK: We like the 2 rocking chairs in Liberty Square on a porch tucked in behind where the Muppets show used to be.
HS: The benches on Sunset Blvd, if you can get one, is great for people watching.
AK: WE love the whole atmosphere of AK and just wander, take it all in, and sit where we can to rest. We do love the Pandora area, so much to see there.
Epcot: #1 place for peace and quiet is behind the UK, in their gardens. I hope this treasure doesn't get wrecked when they put Mary Poppins in.

UNCgolf

It's kind of crazy how Tamu Tamu is right at a busy corner in DAK, but the seating area behind it is so quiet.

It is really crazy. When I was there in January, my GF and I got some food from somewhere around there and went and sat in that seating area. It was completely empty; we were the only people there. And that's despite the fact that the walkways just outside were absolutely mobbed.

I think a lot of people just don't even realize it's there, because it's somewhat hidden. It's an incredibly good place to sit down and relax for a bit.

Simba’s Mom

AK: Gorilla Falls... the falls part after the gorillas. We actually had a great viewing of a gorilla cross this waterfall, and once he went away, so did everyone else. But we stayed here for a looong time because I mean, just look at it.
View attachment 460703

TLDR: I guess I find the look and sound of water to be my #1 calm getaway.

Is this to the right or to the left as you cross the bridge? There's gorillas on both sides. I love watching the "bachelor gorillas" on the left. They remind me so much of the middle school boys I used to teach-one day one of the gorillas had a blanket that he loved. He'd carefully spread it out, then sit on it. But as soon as he got up, the other gorillas would sneak up behind him, grab his blanket and hide it.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 226

Simba’s Mom

Actually, I've found a couple very restful places in AK. One was in the picture I posted. Take the path just past Pizzafari, that threads around the Tree of Life. There's a tunnel under a waterfall part way along the path (I admit that I'm not sure what effect the falling branches from ToL might have).
Another spot at AK is along the path from Africa to Asia. There are several quiet areas that overlook the waterway and the ToL.

The only other one I can think of offhand requires a specific time of day. There's nothing as peaceful as sitting on a bench by the Rose and Crown, listening to Belk (I forgot his first name) "play the sunset" ("Mr. Holland's Opus" fans will know what I mean) before WS opens.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 226

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom