What is your favorite cancelled animated disney movie and why?

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Mine is Fraidy Cat because it had an interesting plot. For movies that were released, but really different from the original vision, my favorite is American Dog, which became Bolt.
Full list of cancelled projects here.

TROR

Ever since I learned that The Emperor's New Groove was originally going to be a good movie and it was going to be called Empire of the Sun with musical numbers and a plot that wasn't stupid, I've been longing for it. Not technically canceled since The Emperor's New Groove did happen, but still.

Also still bitter about The King of the Elves and Gigantic.

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Ever since I learned that The Emperor's New Groove was originally going to be a good movie and it was going to be called Empire of the Sun with musical numbers and a plot that wasn't stupid, I've been longing for it. Not technically canceled since The Emperor's New Groove did happen, but still.

I've always wondered deeply about kingdom of the sun. From what I can tell a lot of the plot points were reused for the final movie which is a better fate than what happened to frozen and american dog.

NateD1226

Too bad Pixar never made Newt. I guess it was suppose to be a lot like Rio.
Yeah it was about the newts about to go extinct and the mani newt found a girl and they had to find more. It was basically a Rio rip-off. But the concept art looked so good!

NateD1226

This is the concept art for Newt.
B42BB5D6-E61E-47A7-A567-EF0B9A9C2F5A.jpeg
7151D02A-290F-4218-9324-87C9A19CF10B.jpeg
1E5FA604-AAF3-49ED-9A0C-58065E3761F1.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Empire of the Sun is a Stephen Spielberg movie. Kingdom of the Sun is what became The Emperor’s New Groove. Have you seen The Sweatbox, the documentary about the demise of Kingdom of the Sun that Disney has only allowed to be screened a handful of times?

TROR

Empire of the Sun is a Stephen Spielberg movie. Kingdom of the Sun is what became The Emperor’s New Groove. Have you seen The Sweatbox, the documentary about the demise of Kingdom of the Sun that Disney has only allowed to be screened a handful of times?
F

Also nah but I'll look into it.

Ghost93

I would say Mort, which was supposed to be a traditionally animated movie directed by John Musker and Ron Clements. The official synopsis was: "Mort is a young man who Death whisks away to train as his apprentice. But on his first solo assignment, Mort prevents the assassination of a princess, threatening the flow of history and the fabric of the Discworld."

I just think the concept of Mort sounds very unique and unlike anything, Disney has done before. It might have also had a much appreciated dark edge to it. I feel Disney plays it too safe nowadays. I want more creative risks taken.

I also think the concept art for King of the Elves looked intriguing. But it's easy to build these abandoned projects up in our heads. We don't know how they would have worked out.

In the Parks
Yes
I've heard many different concepts regarding a full-length Mickey Mouse film from Disney Animation that all sounded very interesting. There was the one dating back to the 90's I believe that had Basil from The Great Mouse Detective in it as well as Burny Mattinson's Mickey, Donald, & Goofy adventure film. I've always wanted to see the mouse be given the theatrical length movie as there's so much potential to play with. Unfortunately, in the current corporate climate of Disney that strikes me as very risk averse, I don't see them attempting such a project. What a shame. Mickey's become nothing more than a corporate symbol in a lot of people's eyes & a movie could enliven him a little.

Ghost93

Unfortunately, in the current corporate climate of Disney that strikes me as very risk averse, I don't see them attempting such a project. What a shame. Mickey's become nothing more than a corporate symbol in a lot of people's eyes & a movie could enliven him a little.
I agree that in the past few decades Mickey has pretty much lost all semblance of an interesting personality. I do think Mickey Mouse deserves his own movie, but I don't think it would be a major draw to theaters as the general public just doesn't seem that interested in Mickey Mouse as a character (they will happily purchase Mouse ears merchandise though).

About seven or eight years ago there were discussions about a Mickey Mouse/Roger Rabbit team-up movie called "The Stooge" that seemed intriguing, but I don't think it ever really got anywhere beyond an early concept.

As a kid (I was born in the 90s), I was always more interested in Bugs Bunny for the Looney Tunes as he felt like a more distinctive character (although even Bugs has been watered down in recent decades).

Kirby86

I've heard many different concepts regarding a full-length Mickey Mouse film from Disney Animation that all sounded very interesting. There was the one dating back to the 90's I believe that had Basil from The Great Mouse Detective in it as well as Burny Mattinson's Mickey, Donald, & Goofy adventure film. I've always wanted to see the mouse be given the theatrical length movie as there's so much potential to play with. Unfortunately, in the current corporate climate of Disney that strikes me as very risk averse, I don't see them attempting such a project. What a shame. Mickey's become nothing more than a corporate symbol in a lot of people's eyes & a movie could enliven him a little.
Yeah I think Disney dosen't belive the risk is worth it when it comes to a Mickey Mouse feature film. He's the mascot of the company and in Disney's eyes if it's successful there really isn't an upside since he's already popular. Or it flops or is received poorly the just damaged their most well known mascot which could damage the Disney brand as a whole. Personally I'm bummed by that because I think a Mickey film done right could be a hit.

erasure fan1

Yeah I think Disney dosen't belive the risk is worth it when it comes to a Mickey Mouse feature film. He's the mascot of the company and in Disney's eyes if it's successful there really isn't an upside
The only way a Mickey mouse movie gets made in todays world, is if he gets turned into a bumbling idiot and Minnie is the real star. And I just don't think even Disney is that dumb. He's the face of the company and already generates billions in merch sales. So yea, there is no upside.

Robbiem

There were quite a few on that list I didn’t know about like the animated catcher in the rye which are interesting

I’d love to have seen the Gremlins movie. It would be interesting to see what Roald Dahl and Disney could do together, and as a fan of Roger Rabbit I’d love to see one of the many pre/sequels I’ve read about over the years. Thinking about it the adventures of Eddie Valliant could make a good show for Disney plus 😀✌️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom