What is WDW tax rate?

Hi all,

I am trying to put togther a budget for our upcoming trip in August, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the tax rate that is used on property at WDW. For example, I am interested in the tax rate that is used in the restaurants mainly (i.e. Garden Grill and Crystal Palace). If the tax rate is different for souvenirs, that tax rate would be of great help as well. As usual, thanks in advance for your response(s).

AEfx

I'm not going to answer, because I know someone knows better than I do, but I did want to say it definately depends where you are in the resort, as it technically resides in two counties. I know that the tax rate at All-Stars (at least the lodging tax) is higher than some of the other resorts because of this.

As I said, I am sure someone will be along with an exact technical answer any moment - this place is good for that. :)

AEfx

Upvote 0

Woody13

Sales and Hotel Tax Rates at WDW

Believe it or not, the tax rates at the various resorts varies across Walt Disney World. In all cases, the state sales tax is 6% and the state resort tax is 5%. However, in Osceola County (the Southern part of WDW), there's an additional 1% county sales tax. What that boils down to is this:

• The All Star Resorts have a resort tax of 5%, and a combined sales tax of 7%. Your room, then, will be taxed at 12% and purchases (sundries and souvenirs) will be taxed at 7%.
  • Purchases at the Wide World of Sports would also be hit with the 7% sales tax.
  • All other WDW resorts and retail locations have a resort tax of 5% and a sales tax of 6%. Your room, then, at any other WDW resort, will be taxed at 11% and purchases at 6%.
  • If you stay offsite, just keep in mind that you'll be hit with that slightly higher rate if you stay in Osceola County (along SR-192, Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway).
http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwguide/3_Tripplan/budgeting/taxes.htm

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

That is so cool about the tax info. I never knew they were different on property. I bet their accountants have a time doing their taxes. I know I do as an accountant for the entertainment company I work for and I only have two rates for all of our properties..sales and lodging.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Wow, that's something I never realised.

At least it's not the same sales tax as here in the UK - 17.5% and don't get me started on the tax on gas/petrol. It's not calculated as a percentage, but about 80% of it's price is tax.

Upvote 0

Woody13

DisneyInsider said:
I think sales tax is 6.5% and in some places 7%
Yes, it varies county by county in the state of Florida. Each county in Florida has the authority to add a local tax on top of the state sales tax (to pay for county roads, improvements, etc.). I think Orange County may be 6.5% sales tax now. Some other counties (not WDW) in Florida have sales tax as high at 7.5% and a 10% bed tax for motel and hotel rooms!:eek:

Upvote 0

antoinebusby

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
Yes, it varies county by county in the state of Florida. Each county in Florida has the authority to add a local tax on top of the state sales tax (to pay for county roads, improvements, etc.). I think Orange County may be 6.5% sales tax now. Some other counties (not WDW) in Florida have sales tax as high at 7.5% and a 10% bed tax for motel and hotel rooms!:eek:

Our everyday sales tax here in good old Baton Rouge, Louisiana is 9%. So, 7.5% is a welcome luxury to me. LOL!!!!

Upvote 0

Debbie

antoinebusby said:
Our everyday sales tax here in good old Baton Rouge, Louisiana is 9%. So, 7.5% is a welcome luxury to me. LOL!!!!

Hi Antoine! :wave: You haven't been around in a while.... 7.5% will seem like a luxury compared to out here.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

aimster said:
Yeah sales tax at WDW is 6% but for the rest of Florida it's 7%. Can be confusing.
Actually the sales tax rate is 6.5%, at least that is what it was last Sept.

Remember Florida Sales and Resort Taxes -As you work out your budget, keep in mind Sales tax in Florida is 6.5%. There is also a resort/hotel tax that varies from 11 to 12% depending on where the hotel is geographically located.

http://allearsnet.com/pl/tips.htm

Upvote 0

MickeyLuv'r

The sales tax is 6.5% -The total tax for a stay at most resorts is 11.5%, and the All-stars it is 13%, calculated per night (so if there is a fraction, it will be rounded up -per night) ($99*3*1.115=$331.155, but ($99 *1.115=$110.39, $110.39*3=$331.17)

Upvote 0

DizGuru2004

MickeyLuv'r is correct. Florida state sales tax is 6.5%. WDW lives in two counties, Orange and Osceola. A few years ago, Osceola implemented a road improvement tax of 0.5% that voters in Orange county later rejected. The resort tax is set by each individual county. In Orange it is 5%, and last summer, Osceola raised it to 6%. SO...retail purchases are going to be taxed at 6.5%, 7% in Osceola County which only contains the three All-Star Resorts and Disney's Wide World of Sports. The room tax in Orange County is 5%, plus the 6.5% sales tax, for a total of 11.5%...and in Osceola County (affecting only the three All-Star Resorts) the total resort tax rate is 13% (7% sales plus 6% resort). Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom