What is this nonsense?!

Rinx

Original Poster
First off, I will say that obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions. Now that that is out of the way, I came across two articles this morning, both from writers of "The Federalist". I know nothing about "The Federalist" or the kind of writing that goes on there, but these two articles are beyond ridiculous! Ridiculous in the sense that these "writers" obviously did zero research and talk and complain about something that they have no knowledge of. It's actually quite amusing. See how far into these articles you can get before you start shaking your head. I guarantee you won't get passed "Wild Kingdom".

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/31/disney-world-is-the-worst-thing-ever-you-should-definitely-go/

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/31/why-i-wont-go-to-disney-world/#disqus_thread

Mukta

Well the first guy did no research. He could have avoided long lines with a good touringplan. He griped about making ADRs 6 months in advance, but he could have made some that week.

The second person, I can understand. I don't think WDW is for everyone. My family didn't visit there every year when I was a kid. My parents took me all over the world instead. Neither family is wrong. I do think there is value in seeing the rest of the world.

JIMINYCR

Oh dear...another nonsensical article written by someone who has no business writing about Disney. These fooolish, foooolish people who set themselves up as authorities on Disney because they took one trip and werent properly prepared so they have to trash Disney. At least they wont return so they wont add to the ignorant guest population, but I feel sorry that their kids will miss out on having Disney trips in their lives.

epcotisbest

Well, I missed the nonsense and ridiculous part. Both are interesting perspectives. Did you miss this part?

"Do I think other families are wasting their time, money, and energy taking their children to Disney World? Not exactly. Everyone is different. Everyone likes different things. For some families, Disney makes sense. It just doesn’t for ours. So when you get back from Disney, and we get back from the beach, we can look at pictures on our phones and smile and be happy for everyone."

What is nonsense in acknowledging everyone is different and everyone likes different things?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
First off, I will say that obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions. Now that that is out of the way, I came across two articles this morning, both from writers of "The Federalist". I know nothing about "The Federalist" or the kind of writing that goes on there, but these two articles are beyond ridiculous! Ridiculous in the sense that these "writers" obviously did zero research and talk and complain about something that they have no knowledge of. It's actually quite amusing. See how far into these articles you can get before you start shaking your head. I guarantee you won't get passed "Wild Kingdom".

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/31/disney-world-is-the-worst-thing-ever-you-should-definitely-go/

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/31/why-i-wont-go-to-disney-world/#disqus_thread

At least the guy in the first article actually went, the author of the second article is criticizing it without ever having been there, no to mention making several factually inaccurate statements.

Nick Wilde

Well, I missed the nonsense and ridiculous part. Both are interesting perspectives. Did you miss this part?

"Do I think other families are wasting their time, money, and energy taking their children to Disney World? Not exactly. Everyone is different. Everyone likes different things. For some families, Disney makes sense. It just doesn’t for ours. So when you get back from Disney, and we get back from the beach, we can look at pictures on our phones and smile and be happy for everyone."

What is nonsense in acknowledging everyone is different and everyone likes different things?
I think most of us were talking about the first article......

btriple

I don't know about you but I spent the past 15 minutes trying to find out how I can get "tickets you can purchase so you don’t have to wait in a lengthy line at each ride" :banghead: (2nd article)

at least these people will not be in my way to get a dole whip.

Just imagine if bridge engineers worked the same way these "writers" did? "Why look anything up, I'll just wing it. What could go wrong?" remember someone paid them money for this.

epcotisbest

I think most of us were talking about the first article......
Satire:
  • 1.the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Nemo14

Other than the Wild Kingdom reference and the part about paying for fastpasses I really didn't see any problem with those articles. Neither condemned people for going to WDW so why would anyone condemn them for preferring other vacations?

Nick Wilde

The second article said that you have to purchase FastPasses. A lot of people seem to think that, probably because every other park you have to purchase it. She also claimed Disney was extremely American. Someone hasn't been to Epcot. "If I’m going to spend $5,000 to 10,000, I prefer to do something that engages my family’s minds and imaginations, broadens our horizons, and expands our cultural preferences." I think she just defined what Epcot is here. Does she know Epcot exists?

epcotisbest

At least the guy in the first article actually went, the author of the second article is criticizing it without ever having been there, no to mention making several factually inaccurate statements.
Read the title of the article closely did we? Yes, some mistakes in the article, but how could she explain why she won't go if she had actually been? Then it could be why she won't go back I guess, but that would be a different article from a different, perhaps more informed, opinion. She is writing an opinion piece about her reasons for not wanting to go. Shame on her for having an opinion different from yours.

Sans Souci

The first was a bit tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek and I think he made a good point about making restaurant reservations six months out. The second was just a touch judgmental when she mentioned someone's values about spending a tidy sum of cash to go to WDW. What is to say that the family spending that type of money at WDW this summer, isn't going to spend that type of money on a European vacation the following summer?

Overall, I feel like they made good points, even if there were some technical errors.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Read the title of the article closely did we? Yes, some mistakes in the article, but how could she explain why she won't go if she had actually been. She is writing an opinion piece about her reasons for not wanting to go. Shame on her for having an opinion different from yours.

So I can't criticize her opinion of Disney, but you can criticize my opinion of the article? :confused:

She is entitled to her opinion, but since she 1. hasn't actually been there and 2. makes incorrect statements in the article, she looses a lot of credibility in my eyes.

epcotisbest

The first was a bit tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek and I think he made a good point about making restaurant reservations six months out. The second was just a touch judgmental when she mentioned someone's values about spending a tidy sum of cash to go to WDW. What is to say that the family spending that type of money at WDW this summer, isn't going to spend that type of money on a European vacation the following summer?

Overall, I feel like they made good points, even if there were some technical errors.
Nonsense, ridiculous. Everyone must love WDW.

epcotisbest

So I can't criticize her opinion of Disney, but you can criticize my opinion of the article? :confused:

She is entitled to her opinion, but since she 1. hasn't actually been there and 2. makes incorrect statements in the article, she looses a lot of credibility in my eyes.
Sure you can criticize anything you want.

Nemo14

The second article said that you have to purchase FastPasses. A lot of people seem to think that, probably because every other park you have to purchase it. She also claimed Disney was extremely American. Someone hasn't been to Epcot. "If I’m going to spend $5,000 to 10,000, I prefer to do something that engages my family’s minds and imaginations, broadens our horizons, and expands our cultural preferences." I think she just defined what Epcot used to be
FTFY

Rinx

Original Poster
The ridiculousness I am referring to is the ignorance in regard to certain things about WDW, some of which has been referenced by other posters such as Wild Kingdom and paying for FP's. I understand Disney doesn't attract many people but if you're going to write about something you should definitely know what it is you are talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom