What is the theme of the TTC?

wdwgreek

Original Poster
So i understand the simple answer here is ticket and transportation hub, is it supposed to feel artificial and sterile to make the trip and the subsequent reveal of the magic kingdom more magical? Part of the idea of a series of reveals by original imagineers?

I have always struggled with its themeing and existence, especially in the last 20 years, it seems so strange and out of place.

No Name

It's never had a theme of any sort.

You don't like the style, which is very 90s Disney, and that's understandable. The 90s came and went, and boy, it came and went fast and hard. Like a tsunami of style, a tornado of trend. In Walt Disney World, any place that didn't take you to another setting got smacked by the storm. The TTC, Future World, Contemporary, etc. Some of it has been cleaned up, but some still remains. When the TTC is remodeled one day, I don't think you'll have an issue with it.

wdwgreek

Original Poster

You don't like the style, which is very 90s Disney, and that's understandable. The 90s came and went, and boy, it came and went fast and hard. Like a tsunami of style, a tornado of trend. In Walt Disney World, any place that didn't take you to another setting got smacked by the storm. The TTC, Future World, Contemporary, etc. Some of it has been cleaned up, but some still remains. When the TTC is remodeled one day, I don't think you'll have an issue with it.
I'm only in my 20s what did the TTC look like before the futirsm bus terminal look it has now?

the.dreamfinder

All the 90’s changes to the TTC were very cheaply slapped onto the existing clean white modernist forms of opening day TTC. Even if a redo isn’t in the offing, the removal of the 90’s elements would improve the aesthetic.

Also, read this
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2017/04/making-it-disney.html?m=1

the.dreamfinder

I'm only in my 20s what did the TTC look like before the futirsm bus terminal look it has now?
Pre EPCOT Center
TTC%2003.jpg

wdwgreek

Original Poster
All the 90’s changes to the TTC were very cheaply slapped onto the existing clean white modernist forms of opening day TTC. Even if a redo isn’t in the offing, the removal of the 90’s elements would improve the aesthetic.

Also, read this
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2017/04/making-it-disney.html?m=1
I adore Passport to dreams a ton! I just find the aesthetic so sterile. The only way i can rationlize it is the reveal formula akin to Animal Kingdom's huge cement parking lot and Greyish brown tones.

lazyboy97o

The Transportation and Ticket Center was not supposed to be a themed experience. Like other aspects of Phase 1, the Transportation and Ticket Center was emblematic of the spirit of EPCOT. It was not something artificial, a simulacrum, but a true display of how thoughtful design could elevate the transit experience in the world beyond the swamps of Central Florida.

Bocabear

and don't forget all the topiaries which used to be around those beautiful floral tapestries...It looked like the EPCOT Flower and Garden festival all the time... and the topiaries were spread out all around the properties...Even one of a dragon that had smoke coming out of it's nose....Unfortunately a lot of the original wow is long gone. The TTC was always very modern clean and futuristic...not sterile at all... It look akin to the original Contemporary or the entrance to EPCOT buildings...Very John Hench Modern.... then they overlayed it with graphics and things. I am hoping at the very least, they create a spectacular new set of decor and graphics for the 50th... I would love to see the floers and topiaries return...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So i understand the simple answer here is ticket and transportation hub, is it supposed to feel artificial and sterile to make the trip and the subsequent reveal of the magic kingdom more magical? Part of the idea of a series of reveals by original imagineers?

I have always struggled with its themeing and existence, especially in the last 20 years, it seems so strange and out of place.
It's not themed. A hint to its existence is in its name.

brb1006

and don't forget all the topiaries which used to be around those beautiful floral tapestries...It looked like the EPCOT Flower and Garden festival all the time... and the topiaries were spread out all around the properties...Even one of a dragon that had smoke coming out of it's nose....Unfortunately a lot of the original wow is long gone. The TTC was always very modern clean and futuristic...not sterile at all... It look akin to the original Contemporary or the entrance to EPCOT buildings...Very John Hench Modern.... then they overlayed it with graphics and things. I am hoping at the very least, they create a spectacular new set of decor and graphics for the 50th... I would love to see the floers and topiaries return...
Even the toparies were special before you even enter MK back then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom