What is left of EPCOT Center?

Figments Friend

The bus stop area has it's original bus information building still present.
Another still standing relic of EPCOT Center.
Last time I walked by it a year ago, it looked empty but still standing.
Prior years I had seen Cast inside, ready to answer questions.

The ticket windows at the entrance are also vintage EPCOT Center and are pretty much the same as they were in 1982.

A lot of the stone and fiberglass rectangular benches I believe are all still original as well.
There are many spread around the Park.

I should mention the Monorail station too.
Always loved the sleek, futuristic look to the design of the structure here.
This is another nice slice of 'the Park that once was', and the view of Spaceship Earth from the second incline as you are walking up to the loading platform is quite a nice angle.
Even more nice in the evening.

The various fountains over in the former Magic Garden at the Imagination Pavilion are also for the most part original from Opening Day.
Besides the paint color change on the 'Leap Frog' fountains' circular bases, and the removal of the original clear acrylic sculpture above the 'Upside Down' fountain, they have remained for the most part untouched by time.
I so wish I could say that about the entire Pavilion....

And speaking of the Imagination Pavillion....
One of the last few remnants of the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attractions can currently still be seen at MouseGear.
With the upcoming remodel that is scheduled to take place however, time is running out to view it -
A stripped down, yet still recognizable flying airship that Dreamfinder once piloted.
One of the five giant set pieces designed for the Original ride through Attraction, this iconic props future is now somewhat uncertain.
I hope it is salvaged and saved...and not just tossed in the nearest construction dumpster.

-

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The Epcot logo Embedded in front of the fountain..Unless it survives the onslaught.
fountainofnations-500x375.jpg

This was the geographical center of WDW at the time, if everything I've read over the years is to be believed. Due to the changing property lines as a result of TWDC selling off, and also buying, small parcels of land over the years, the exact center location has changed but this spot will always have a special place in many fans' hearts.

RyanH

Just jumping on this thread, and I don't need massive detail, but do people know if, let's say, some of the more minor work will be done by next Easter? There are obviously large scale jobs which have specific timescales, but I have just watched a YouTube video and there are walls and scrim everywhere just now! Presumably 6 months down the line some of the smaller jobs will have been done and it won't look quite as much like a construction site? Any help much appreciated.

peter11435

Just jumping on this thread, and I don't need massive detail, but do people know if, let's say, some of the more minor work will be done by next Easter? There are obviously large scale jobs which have specific timescales, but I have just watched a YouTube video and there are walls and scrim everywhere just now! Presumably 6 months down the line some of the smaller jobs will have been done and it won't look quite as much like a construction site? Any help much appreciated.
It will be worse

Figments Friend

A few photos I snapped earlier this week of those beautiful carpeted mural walls in the Land Pavilion's theater holding area -
Love those walls!

Truly vintage EPCOT Center -

Thank you @TheEmpressLilly for alerting me to the area being open again.
I never would have been able to get these shots without you!
:)

-

Mickeynerd17

Not sure if this got posted on here or not, but you can see parts of the original imagination ride in the current imageworks.
Photos taken from @marni1971's video on the current imagination

20191014_091032_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091122_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091138_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091158_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091213_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091228_rmscr.jpg

You can tell where it it because the floor has a bump in it
20191014_091237_rmscr.jpg

This can be found once you immediately enter the imageworks on the ceiling
20191014_091250_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091301_rmscr.jpg

20191014_091311_rmscr.jpg

There is also an escalator found to the left right before you exit the imageworks.
After exiting the magic eye theater, take a right and you will find a roped off path that leads to a door and 3 slanted windows, this was the Kodak lounge from the original imagination.
Hope this helps! Happy travels!

Figments Friend

There are also several remnants of the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction encased in the caged steel shelving located within the current rides queue.
Projector parts, show light fixtures, props from the Dream Port, electronic components, control boards, etc.

Do spend some time checking out those cages if you experienced the Original.
It can be a little depressing, but those relics remind one of a better era for that particular Pavilion.

-

Communicore

I realize it’s silly to insist you visit an air-conditioned hallway, but when you stand in there and look out the soaring glass windows toward the Imagination and Land pavilions in FW West, you get an idea of how massive and inspiring EPCOT Center felt. The tall ceilings, glass walls, manicured gardens, ponds, and pavilions jutting out the ground combined into an emotional response that was greater than the sum of its parts. The view from the hallway makes a big difference.

This is the same approach Apple has been applying to its newest stores. If you’ve been in the one in Chicago, giant glass walls frame a riverfront view, and the real trees inside soften the cold tech. Apple acts as if their aesthetic is unique, but WDI did it in 1982.
That walkway had benches a few years back and I would just sit and reminisce about Communicore in there.

Dragonman

Bits of Spaceship Earth remained the same up until the 1960’s tv scene with updates to each of the scenes over the years. However I’d say the true juggernaut has been the space station. Although it is painted completely black and has had portions of it removed to add modern additions, and its satellites/astronauts were removed, it’s still there and largely intact with its animatronic still inside it.

tirian

Not sure if this got posted on here or not, but you can see parts of the original imagination ride in the current imageworks.
Photos taken from @marni1971's video on the current imagination

View attachment 418228

View attachment 418229

View attachment 418230

View attachment 418231

View attachment 418232

View attachment 418234
You can tell where it it because the floor has a bump in it
View attachment 418235
This can be found once you immediately enter the imageworks on the ceiling
View attachment 418236

View attachment 418237

View attachment 418238
There is also an escalator found to the left right before you exit the imageworks.
After exiting the magic eye theater, take a right and you will find a roped off path that leads to a door and 3 slanted windows, this was the Kodak lounge from the original imagination.
Hope this helps! Happy travels!

I once made the mistake of looking behind myself on that ride. The volume of empty, wasted space is astounding. I’ve never been able to ignore it since then; it’s like a gaping hole surrounding each show scene.

Bocabear

View attachment 431887

What used to be old phone booths next to guest relations. (Credits to George from Imaginerding)
Those were not phone booths, but futuristic picture phones manned by live Disney cast members to answer questions, make reservations etcetera...It was amazing...forward thinking and one more little thing about the park that felt like you had stepped into the future.

BoarderPhreak

Those were not phone booths, but futuristic picture phones manned by live Disney cast members to answer questions, make reservations etcetera...It was amazing...forward thinking and one more little thing about the park that felt like you had stepped into the future.
Those were "WorldKey Information Kiosks." Man, I miss those. They looked a bit like these:

latest

223d57d2ca49efb75fd0fbafc88ec7b2--retro-disney-epcot-center.jpg

epcot_guest_relations.png

epcot_kiosks.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom