What is it really like?

CinderellaFan

Original Poster
I have been considering moving to Florida and was wondering what it is really like? do you get tired of Disney since it is so close? What are the schools/communities like? What areas are close enough to watch Disney fireworks from your porch? etc. Thanks for your help.

tednvon

HMMMMMM, good question..really!

We stay just south of Disney in a rental home for 3 winter months and love it.
Disney does not get old in 3 months. Frankly, I think 6 months would be plenty and I would want to return north to Iowa for at least summer and fall.

There are places you can see the fireworks from a porch, but I would think that would get old real fast, as any home that can see the fireworks will be a long long ways away and there is no music or atmosphere to make the fireworks come alive.
If you read the thread above here about the Alexan going condo, you will get a feel for the real estare frenzy that has gone on. It is not cheap to find a place close to Disney.

A Huge factor for me.....I am retired, financially able to enjoy the area without working or stuggling with a budget. We are not wealthy or I would own a place a fancy golf community, but we certainly live well on about 60K/year.
I am telling you this because the fun will go out of the area real fast if you cannot afford Disney, the restaurants, some golf or leisure, and the "lifestyle" that is more "vacation" than real life.

You may know this but summers are HOT HOT and HUMID...

Public schools struggle in Florida, so this should be a consideration if you have kids.

As far as I can tell the only real "communities" are north in Clermont or south to Haines City, Auburndale, Winter Haven, or Lakeland....Kissimmee is really not a community, in my opinion...just a huge strip of hotels, gift shops, restaurants.
There may be "communities" ie neighborhoods or areas like Poinciana within Kissimmee that would interest you....

I hope others respond to your email...hopefully you will get some responses from true locals. Don't do it just for Disney unless you want to work there as a dream job...and remember pay there is pretty low except for the skilled and management areas...

Good Luck...Ted

Alisonsvilla

Hunter's Creek off the Orange Blossom Trail is a lovely mainly residential community with a school, and everything else nearby.

My neighbour on Lindfields rented that villa but lived on Hunter's Creek-I would certainly give that one a try first.

From some of the homes on there you should be able to see the fireworks-maybe just depends how high up you are-I know as you pass Hunter's Creek on the 417 you can see them from there.
It's a fantastic area-with good roads nearby for airport, shopping, eating etc. Only 10-15 mins from Disney-depending on traffic about 20 mins from Florida Mall.

I'd be happy there!

peter11435

joeyjoe92979 said:
Once again I do not want to offend anyone who lives there but that place is just not up to my standards of living.
I agree about the complex north of MK.

As for living up here. I am in the parks nearly every day and it never gets old to me. But not everyone would feel that way.

CatLady

I lived in Hunter's Creek for three years. It is residential, relatively safe (nowhere is crime free, but it is better than a lot of areas), has grocery stores, Super Target, and now a big shopping center with Kohls, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and a movie theater very close. The schools are good enought that I know people who insisted on spending extra money to rent there instead of buy a new car so their kids could attend those schools. From Hunter's Creek, you can get on the 417, pay one toll, and be at Disney in 15 minutes. However, I never was able to see fireworks from anywhere in Hunter's Creek (even from my second-story apartment that faced that direction). On some cloudy nights, the sky would light up with the colors of the fireworks, though. I was alarmed the first time I saw that because I thought it was a forest fire! :lol:

Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to buy a home in Hunter's Creek, so we ended up buying in the Williamsburg area, which is very close to SeaWorld. We are still 15 minutes from Disney, but we are closer to Orlando (better commute for a household where someone works in the city). Many porches/yards here have views of the SeaWorld fireworks, which are seasonal, and you can hear Disney's fireworks most nights (Thunder at 9:12? No, that's IllumiNations finishing up.). We hear Epcot's fireworks more clearly more than we did in Hunter's Creek, even though we're geographically farther away by about 1/2 mile. Must be the tophography. When the wind blows the right direction, it sounds like we're being bombed!

Anyhow, I don't think it gets old. I'm not at the parks every day, but it's nice to have them available whenever you want to go for an hour or two.... or for all day. You have that choice, and if it rains, you can just leave without feeling like you're ruining your Only Chance Ever To See Disney World the way that tourists do.

There are a lot of jobs in the hospitality industry here, but they generally aren't very high-paying. However, depending upon your skillset, there are plenty of jobs in other industries that pay better and will allow you to enjoy having frequent access to the parks.

PigletIsMyCat

My husband and I just came back from our week-long 'feel out FLA' trip where we went to DAK, MK, and Epcot a few times with CM buddies, and found a place to live.

I had previously stated somewhat negative things about Cagan Crossings in Clermont. I made these statements based on what friends had told me. They were wrong. I found the area to be charming, beautiful, and well-kept. Not to mention the brand new, 200,000 square foot WalMart across the street. (I have yet to learn that you CAN buy food in WalMart. All the WalMarts here don't sell groceries and they smell like urine.) My husband and I are on the waiting lists for five different floorplans, and plan to take whichever one opens up first. We have been told there is a slight possibility of a July 1st move-in, but not likely. We are ridiculously excited about moving into Ridgepoint and the Orlando area, and cannot WAIT to get down there.

About pay rates in Florida, we were worried about a large pay cut in my husband's salary. (I do not work currently, and might get a part-time job at Disney only to get the perks.) We came out of the Cagan Crossing's complex, made a left on 27, saw a Goodyear (the company DH works for), and hubby walked in with his resume and letter of recommendation. He walked out with an offer that DOUBLES his pay here on Long Island. I am not kidding. DOUBLES.

It is true that depending on what skills you have, there is money to be made in the Orlado-vicinity. Disney does not pay most of their entry level hospitality/food service employees very well, but managment does alright from what I've been told by CM's. Don't forget to calculate in the benefits of working at WDW - free entry for you and guests, comp tickets to parks to try new rides, discounts at restaraunts and on merchandise, and the 'property control' trailers where CM's can buy tons of stuff so cheap it's disgusting. Not that I've been there.....:D

PigletIsMyCat

joeyjoe92979 said:
Don't be surprised if they convert to condos and you have to move out unexpectedly.

We're actually really not worried about that happening. They're already building condos on site, separate from the apartment buildings. They're putting up townhomes, too. There is little chance of these apartments going condo, unlike the apartment complexes all around Disney. This complex is in Clermont.

CinderellaFan

Original Poster
Hi again, thank you for your responses. I was wondering does Hunters Creek offer new homes and if they do what do they usually go for? If they don't what other housing developments are close to Disney? Thank you.

cmart027

I live in Miami, and I go to Disney every chance I get (about 4 times a year). But I have other family and friends who live up there who say they've never been and don't plan to. The point? It all depends on who you are and if you love Disney the way we do.

-C

cindy_k

Hiya!
I just moved to Fl from Long Island. Instead of moving to Orlando, I moved to Polk County. I am 30 minutes from Disney, an hour from Orlando and 30 minutes from Tampa.

I'm a computer programmer. I found a job in Lakeland in Polk county that is about 10% less than what I was making in NY. However I was able to get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment for $810, which more than 50% less than the same place cost on LI. (That's the pay raise!)

I have been here 8 months, and now have to move. My apartment is turning Condo and here I thought was safe in Lakeland from the Orlando Condo conversions.
I found another nice apartment complex on the south side of Lakeland and am crossing my fingers that it will stay an apartment long enough for us to get a house built.

Schools: I came to Florida with my 12 year old son. He is just completing 8th grade in the local middle school. Here is my opinion on FL schools. As with all opinions, YMMV(your mileage may vary).
You can get a good education for your child if you are envolved. Florida has School Choice. Florida has a Gifted Education mandate. NY didn't have these things.
In NY my son was in a Private school because I felt our local Public school wasn't doing a good job. (It was a considered a good school district too, but they are run by the town there. If you don't like your school, its pay for private or move in NY.)
Florida runs their school districts by County... which means you actually get schools to choose from in the School Choice program in your county.

My son just got into the hardest choice High School in Polk County for next year. He will be attending the International Bacclaureate High School here. Their average SAT score in Polk last year was in the 1200's (old scoring system).

He's excited about the opportunity and I am excited about the education.

Disney: We bought Annual passes right after we came down. We go to Disney at least once a month. Its nice because you can go for a day or a few hours depending on what you want. I can't see the fireworks from my apartment obviously but I don't mind.
We are going for a long weekend at Disney Vero Beach resort for Memorial Day. Its nice to go on a beach vacation and not have to fly. :sohappy:

Good Luck with your move!
Cindy in Lakeland.

PigletIsMyCat

Cindy, where on LI were you? I'm in Lindenhurst and cannot wait to get to FL!!

Update on our move to Ridgepointe, we got a call!! A two-bedroom that we were not on the list for opened up, they had a cancellation, and the property manager remembered us and gave us a call!! AND my girlfriend who is moving from Empirian at World Gateway into Ridgepointe got a very unexpected call last Thursday. Their apartment wasn't supposed to be available until September, but there was a cancellation and it's available - next week!!!

Ours is a two/two with lots of closet space, a little laundry area, a seperate dining area, a big living room with lots of windows, and a lanai - well over 1,100 square feet - for $845 a month. Which, coming from Long Island, is ridiculous. I paid almost that much for a tiny basement studio with seven foot ceilings and no windows.

So, we move into our *first floor* apartment on June 26th. And as soon as my husband gets his first paycheck, we get AP's!!!!

Ducky_Love

PigletIsMyCat said:
Update on our move to Ridgepointe, we got a call!!

Congrats on the move! We are still in the process of dragging all of our stuff from Empirian over to Ridgepointe. The other side of Cagan IS income restricted, we finally found out. However, I have felt very safe here and the property is extra quiet. It seems the majority of people on the income restricted side are CMs.

Also, this apartment is the CLEANEST I have ever moved into. Everything has been repainted and the carpet is brand new. We came over the first day with buckets of cleaning supplies only to find we didn't need them! I don't know why I ever paid more to live in Empirian.. they are not nearly as nice. Empirian is built poorly and all appliances are bottom of the line, not to mention parking is a disaster! :hammer:

My new place in Ridgepointe is beautiful. I wish they WOULD go condo! This is the first apartment I've had here in Orlando that I would LOVE to buy! Enjoy your new home, you won't be dissapointed! :wave:

Tim G

joeyjoe92979 said:
Just don't say I told ya so...the leasing agents won't tell you at the time of the lease signing, you will find out the hard way like we have and many more of my friends have..

I agree...

Tim G

maelstrom said:
Really? That would be sad. They'll probably stick a few in where Xanadu was too.
Yes! really... it IS sad... but true... Tourist bucks, that's what it's all about...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom