What is going on with the design of Animal Kingdom Lodge?

HansGruber

Original Poster
The theming is beautiful, the animals are very cool but my god…the design of the entire resort is so baffling to me.

We stayed in Kidani village. While I love the idea of underground parking, it doesn’t exactly go along with the idea or the theme of being on an African safari.

While in Kidani, the only way to walk across the entire complex is by going on floor #2. If you attempt to view the animals throughout the entire complex on any of the upper floors, you will be met with dead-ends.

Perhaps I missed them, but why aren’t there any animal look-out or watch-out points littered throughout the complex? The only way to see the animals is through windows in the hallways of the resort, the sightlines of which aren't that great. I thought for sure there would be outside decks or over-hangs with which to observe.

The walk from Kidani to Jambo house is incredibly long and very disjointed. You have to go outside, across multiple intersections and walk by some loud service/ machinery building. None of it is themed in any way. And we also got lost on the way over to Kidani on our first trip. Why didn’t they build a skyway across the animal field connecting Kidani to Jambo house? It would take me 45 minutes just to get a late night snack.

Even Jambo house is confusing. You have to walk down half a flight of stairs to get to the bar, then another half flight and outside in order to get to the indoor café area.

Again, beautiful resort but I feel like a high schooler designed the place.

Club Cooloholic

The theming is beautiful, the animals are very cool but my god…the design of the entire resort is so baffling to me.

We stayed in Kidani village. While I love the idea of underground parking, it doesn’t exactly go along with the idea or the theme of being on an African safari.

While in Kidani, the only way to walk across the entire complex is by going on floor #2. If you attempt to view the animals throughout the entire complex on any of the upper floors, you will be met with dead-ends.

Perhaps I missed them, but why aren’t there any animal look-out or watch-out points littered throughout the complex? The only way to see the animals is through windows in the hallways of the resort, the sightlines of which aren't that great. I thought for sure there would be outside decks or over-hangs with which to observe.

The walk from Kidani to Jambo house is incredibly long and very disjointed. You have to go outside, across multiple intersections and walk by some loud service/ machinery building. None of it is themed in any way. And we also got lost on the way over to Kidani on our first trip. Why didn’t they build a skyway across the animal field connecting Kidani to Jambo house? It would take me 45 minutes just to get a late night snack.

Even Jambo house is confusing. You have to walk down half a flight of stairs to get to the bar, then another half flight and outside in order to get to the indoor café area.

Again, beautiful resort but I feel like a high schooler designed the place.
I actually wondered if there were lookouts in Kidani. That stinks there aren't like at Jambo.

epcotisbest

Yeah, you missed them. There are two large, covered viewing decks with rocking chairs, looking right out over the savanna, and a walkway near the entry to Sanaa that takes you right outside for closer views.

075351F6-4D6C-48E6-9643-9ED404507455.jpeg

HansGruber

Original Poster
Yeah, you missed them. There are two large, covered viewing decks with rocking chairs, looking right out over the savanna, and a walkway near the entry to Sanaa that takes you right outside for closer views.

View attachment 401304
No, I mean viewing decks stationed throughout the property (near the rooms) rather than having to look at the animals while standing in the hallways. The animals on our side of the resort were different from the ones on the other side. There weren't any observation decks there.

epcotisbest

Isn't it about 3/10 of a mile?

I swear some of the complaining on here about distances completely blows my mind. Do people seriously have zero physical activity in their lives, or something?

We walked over to Jambo from Kidani multiple times during our week long stay and found it to be a nice walk. Did not seem like a terribly long walk or confusing, but I can see how it might be considered a long walk to some.

epcotisbest

No, I mean viewing decks stationed throughout the property (near the rooms) rather than having to look at the animals while standing in the hallways. The animals on our side of the resort were different from the ones on the other side. There weren't any observation decks there.

The only way to see the animals is through windows in the hallways of the resort, the sightlines of which aren't that great. I thought for sure there would be outside decks or over-hangs with which to observe.

I'm confused. You said the only way to see the animals is through the windows in the hallways. I illustrated where the viewing decks are located.

HansGruber

Original Poster
Isn't it about 3/10 of a mile?

I swear some of the complaining on here about distances completely blows my mind. Do people seriously have zero physical activity in their lives, or something?
Yes, after walking 10 miles throughout the park in the hot sub-tropical Florida sun, I just want to grab a flat-bread and pass out.

HansGruber

Original Poster
I'm confused. You said the only way to see the animals is through the windows in the hallways.
Throughout the complex. Yes, the observation decks you pointed out are near the lobby. But that area contains only a sub-set of animals. If you want to see the other animals throughout the complex, you have to view them through windows in the hallways. Like, I have to stand outside someone's resort door, gawking at the animals.

epcotisbest

Throughout the complex. Yes, the observation decks you pointed out are near the lobby. But that area contains only a sub-set of animals. If you want to see the other animals throughout the complex, you have to view them through windows in the hallways. Like, I have to stand outside someone's resort door, gawking at the animals.

Oh, Ok, I just misunderstood.

nickys

Premium Member

At Kidani there are only two Savannahs:

Sunset, which has the outlooks, is shared with Jambo and has the majority of animals viewable. The animals are free to roam or stay off show.

Pembe, where the red river hogs and a few other species are, which has a viewing spot at the pool area. Some of the rooms also look over that one. It is a smaller savannah and holds animals that the hogs do not attack - they are pretty aggressive, despite being cute as heck.

The point of the underground parking was to take up less room and hide them, and the fact they are sheltered from the sun is a godsend. Otherwise, it would have had to go where the pool is. From the entry level of the resort, where the lobby is, you go downstairs to Sanaa and the viewing outlooks. From that side, the savannah side there is no clue that there are cars anywhere. Same at Jambo.

The walking route is 5-10 minutes. Not scenic. You just skirt the car park areas. The animals’ welfare is taken seriously, a walkway over the savannah would be disruptive and certainly out of keeping with the savannah look of the resort. If you can’t be bothered walking, there is a shuttle bus that will take you there. B the time you’ve waited for it and got there, you usually could have walked it but it’s there if you want it.

Club Cooloholic

I can't disagree with Hans on how it is a shame there arent a few observation decks peppered throughout. Jambo has them, my guess is Disney didn't want to lose any rooms making them, which is fine if you have a savanna view room, but not so good if you have a standard. I like the ones at Jambo, as they are never crowded.

HansGruber

Original Poster
The point of the underground parking was to take up less room and hide them, and the fact they are sheltered from the sun is a godsend. Otherwise, it would have had to go where the pool is. From the entry level of the resort, where the lobby is, you go downstairs to Sanaa and the viewing outlooks. From that side, the savannah side there is no clue that there are cars anywhere. Same at Jambo.

Again, I like the underground parking, but it doesn't fit with the theme at all. Jambo parking is outside in a lot, not underground.

The animals’ welfare is taken seriously, a walkway over the savannah would be disruptive and certainly out of keeping with the savannah look of the resort.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. The place has cleverly-designed electrified "plants" all over the border of the animal's territory to prevent animals from interacting with guests. A sky-way isn't going to in anyway harm or impact the welfare of the animals anymore than an electrified fence. And the sky-way itself could be off to the side of both resorts as to not impact the observation sight-lines of guests.

Might have been able to build an enclosed walkway path on the ground that would have tripled as an enclosed walk-way for guests, observation point for guests (animals could have walked right up to the glass) and physical border for the animals (rather than an electrified fence).

I'm not naive to pretend that money wasn't the real reason; it most likely was.

nickys

Premium Member
Again, I like the underground parking, but it doesn't fit with the theme at all. Jambo parking is outside in a lot, not underground.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. The place has cleverly-designed electrified "plants" all over the border of the animal's territory to prevent animals from interacting with guests. A sky-way isn't going to in anyway harm or impact the welfare of the animals anymore than an electrified fence. And the sky-way itself could be off to the side of both resorts as to not impact the observation sight-lines of guests.

Might have been able to build an enclosed walkway path on the ground that would have tripled as an enclosed walk-way for guests, observation point for guests (animals could have walked right up to the glass) and physical border for the animals (rather than an electrified fence).

I'm not naive to pretend that money wasn't the real reason; it most likely was.

You’re complaining an underground car park isn’t in keeping with a Safari lodge, yet advocating a Sky way over the savannah! I don’t understand, you can’t see the cars from the front of the resort, whilst at Jambo you can. So you prefer a concrete parking lot, where your car can bake in the sun, to being underground, below the entrance lobby?

Have you ever been on a safari? For a start, there aren’t huge hotels. Facilities are pretty basic, even in a standard safari lodge used by tour groups. There aren’t many tarmac roads, and trying to self drive would be risky in the extreme. There’s a reason the safari lodges all have armed guards and electrified fences around the grounds. There are a few minibuses parked outside, not several hundred cars parked on acres of concrete.

AKL is secluded and provides views of Savannah’s to be able to see animals. The style is gorgeous, wood and natural materials abound. A sky bridge is not in keeping with the style.

I suggest you stay elsewhere if you don’t like it. Leave those of who do to enjoy it. 🤷‍♀️

Club Cooloholic

You’re complaining an underground car park isn’t in keeping with a Safari lodge, yet advocating a Sky way over the savannah! I don’t understand, you can’t see the cars from the front of the resort, whilst at Jambo you can. So you prefer a concrete parking lot, where your car can bake in the sun, to being underground, below the entrance lobby?

Have you ever been on a safari? For a start, there aren’t huge hotels. Facilities are pretty basic, even in a standard safari lodge used by tour groups. There aren’t many tarmac roads, and trying to self drive would be risky in the extreme. There’s a reason the safari lodges all have armed guards and electrified fences around the grounds. There are a few minibuses parked outside, not several hundred cars parked on acres of concrete.

AKL is secluded and provides views of Savannah’s to be able to see animals. The style is gorgeous, wood and natural materials abound. A sky bridge is not in keeping with the style.

I suggest you stay elsewhere if you don’t like it. Leave those of who do to enjoy it. 🤷‍♀️
I agree a skybridge would ruin the view of the savanna.

HansGruber

Original Poster
So you prefer a concrete parking lot, where your car can bake in the sun, to being underground, below the entrance lobby?

Never once stated that, in fact I actually stated I liked the underground parking, but thank you for completely ignoring my post while attempting to deviate from the original topic.

Have you ever been on a safari?

But, it's not a safari. It's a resort in the middle of a massive tourist area that starts at $300/night.

I know, I broke the number #1 rule on this board, never criticize Disney. My apologies. All hail Disney. 🐑🐑🐑

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This has got to be a joke...

The design is 100% due to the safety and vantage points of animals...it has nothing to do with convenience of cars or walks for tourists.

They made the right choice.

What’s next? A thread that asks “why do we really need oxygen?”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom