What is Cinderella's real name?

Woody13

Cinderella's real name is Ella (Mary Beth Ella Gertrude) via the Disney version of the tale. However, in other versions she had many other names. The Grimm brothers' (they wrote the original) version is Cinderella (Aschenputtel). Hope this helps.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
See, this is what I had originally thought, but then I popped the movie in the VCR. From the very beginning of the story, her name is Cinderella. In fact, the story makes a point of remarking how beautiful her name is. Hmmmmm.......

Woody13

Here is a direct quote from the original story:

"In the evening, when she was worn out with work, she had no bed to go to but had to lie on the hearth among the cinders. And because, on account of that, she always looked dusty and dirty, they called her Cinder-ella."

Here is a rather poor Internet version of the story:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/016.txt

daksimba

Originally posted by Woody13
The Grimm brothers' (they wrote the original)

Not only the orginal, but also the bloodiest :hurl:

I think most people would be shocked to read the orginal story.

cookiee_munster

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
No kidding!!

Shall we tell them??

they dont live happily ever after and file for divorce?

the snow white one they put on TV not so long ago that was a little true to the Grims tales was pretty bloody. But i thought it was interesting at how everystory changes :)

Yellow Shoes

The stepmother tells one of the stepsisters to chop off her toes so she fits into the slipper. Her rationale is that "when you are the queen, there will be people to wait on you, so you won't need to walk."

They call them the GRIMM fairy tales for a reason............

FairytaleMagic

Originally posted by daksimba
Not only the orginal, but also the bloodiest :hurl:

I think most people would be shocked to read the orginal story.

Can you give a brief summary of the true, original Cinderella story for those of us who don't remember the original please?

MadameLee

there's are two problems here.

THE GRIMM BROTHERS VERSION WASN'T THE ORINGAL VERSION. Perrault's version (which Disney's movie is based on) is an century older then the Grim brothers. (there's a story from Roman times which is Set in Egypt, a chinese story, a korean Cinderella).

and CinderELLA's name is ELLA ok? Cinderella is a nick name because she was a maid in her own home.

Yousef

there's are two problems here.

THE GRIMM BROTHERS VERSION WASN'T THE ORINGAL VERSION. Perrault's version (which Disney's movie is based on) is an century older then the Grim brothers. (there's a story from Roman times which is Set in Egypt, a chinese story, a korean Cinderella).

and CinderELLA's name is ELLA ok? Cinderella is a nick name because she was a maid in her own home.
See, this is what I had originally thought, but then I popped the movie in the VCR. From the very beginning of the story, her name is Cinderella. In fact, the story makes a point of remarking how beautiful her name is. Hmmmmm.......

Her name was Ella and was called Ella of the cinders ( ashes) and thus Cinderella. Reported by Yousef S.

Phroobar

Why does Cinderella's husband, the Prince in Cinderella 2, call her Cinderella instead of her real name? Even her father in the law the King calls her that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom