What if? We had another delayed opening like haunted mansion.

ppete1975

Original Poster
So some back history on the haunted mansion.
In 1961 handbills were handed out announcing the opening of the ride in 1963.
The mansion was completed (outside façade) in 1963. The fence was up and there was a sign saying the ride was coming.
In 1965 it was even previewed on wonderful world of disney
Then the worlds fair happened and it got put on the back burner. Then walt died and it was redesigned

Rumors circulated that it was too scary and someone died, also rumors it was really haunted.
in 1969 it finally opened.
Now the ride wasn't completed during that time it was just the exterior, but can you imagine the social media if Disney just kind of ignored it for 6 years and we kept looking at an attraction behind a fence with basically an opening soon sign, that had been announced to open 6 years ago.
See the source image

JIMINYCR

Times have changed... people have a lot less patience waiting for anything. My guess would be that there would probably be a massive blow up on social media if there was that kind of delay after an announcement. Disney would be quick to remove anything related to the project and make an announcement about it being taken off the table. They wouldnt want it out there as an unfinished eye sore so it would be either taken down or blocked off beyond anyones view. I very much doubt they would waste the money or energy on something that would sit untouched and allow it to be unprofitable for long.

Walt Disney1955

I didn't know Haunted Mansion had that long of a wait until its opening in 1969. I know Magic Kingdom's version was an opening day attraction in 1971. I always thought that in Walt's time they built the attractions a lot quicker. Look at how quick Disneyland was built. Also, there is an episode of "What's My Line" that aired in November of 1956. Walt was the mystery guest on the show and they talk about Disneyland on it. Disneyland gets a lot of praise by the hosts of the show and then Walt talks about how there are attractions opening up in a year or so and it just got me thinking how quick they did it back then.

I am thinking the Haunted Mansion didn't open right away because the mid 1960s was a very busy time with the company. There was the World's Fair in 1964 and 1965. Then Walt dies in late 1966. I would suspect things were a little stagnant at the time since they had just started building WDW. This probably means things got put on the back burner. I mean, Roy had to get out of retirement to help with WDW. So things got put on hold, including the Haunted Mansion. Country Bear Jamboree was in its rough stages when Walt died and that ski lodge where it was supposed to be presented never happened. CBJ didn't open until 1971 at WDW. They didn't even build it at Disneyland until 1973.

I would suspect many things were on a standstill for a few years.

tampabrad

The opening of Test Track was delayed for at least a year.

The second phase of Pop Century was delayed for quite sometime, eventually scrapped and reimagined into Art of Animation.

The Germany attraction has been delayed for almost 40 years as it's show building was actually built. Lol.

waltography

Let's just wait until December; maybe we'll see this happen with RotR. :p

In all seriousness, the only attraction I'd wait 7 years for to open mysteriously in a stateside park would be Mystic Manor.

tomast

Maybe they aim to open near the release of the new Star wars movie, maybe with a parade, I mean a dance party, or more probably a Show and a dessert party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom