What if Luke Skywalker is not related to Darth Vader?

LovePop

Original Poster
I adore Star Wars, but I've always thought that George Lucas's decision of connecting Luke with Darth Vader is a huge mistake in plot development. It was obviously not his intention in A New Hope, and somehow he just decided to force it in to create the conflict and redeem Vader, driving the series to a close.

What would have happened of Luke wasn't son of Vader that Vader never knew about? What if Anakin really was betrayed and killed by Darth Vader, just as Obi Wan said? Would Luke still "sense the good in him?" Wouldn't Luke be out to kill him, just like Harry Potter was out to kill Voldemort? What if Harry found out that Voldemort was his real father, for some reason?

So, I think Disney should create an alternative universe movie series starting with Episode 5, where Luke is not related to Darth Vader or Leia, and the fight against the empire can drag on for many movies to come. The most important part is, Disney must cast actors that look and act exactly like young Luke, Leia and Han, not like the Solo movie where the guy doesn't remotely look like Han Solo.

I think that so far, the sequel Star Wars movies are pretty bad, but it isn't like Disney doesn't know how to make a good Star Wars movie. The Phineas and Ferb Star Wars is totally awesome, which proves that Disney knows how to make a good Star Wars plot if they feel like it.

Last edited:

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
I strongly disagree with the Luke - Vader bloodline in the saga being a mistake. I think it is the best shock moment or "twist" in any motion picture. Very few who saw ESB naïve to this reveal will ever forget their stunned reaction when Vader says those words: "I am your father." It is a moment that I would go back and relive again and again if I could erase my memory of it and restart that scene fresh. It turned what seemed at first to be another cookie-cutter villain into one of the most complex character arch's in film to this day. No movie antagonist has been written as well as Darth Vader, and very few characters in general have been as impactful in film history. It was also this brilliant storytelling in the OT which doomed any sequel attempts at feeling spectacular. Nothing can surpass I am your father. All IMO, of course.

lazyboy97o

I strongly disagree with the Luke - Vader bloodline in the saga being a mistake. I think it is the best shock moment or "twist" in any motion picture. Very few who saw ESB naïve to this reveal will ever forget their stunned reaction when Vader says those words: "I am your father." It is a moment that I would go back and relive again and again if I could erase my memory of it and restart that scene fresh. It turned what seemed at first to be another cookie-cutter villain into one of the most complex character arch's in film to this day. No movie antagonist has been written as well as Darth Vader, and very few characters in general have been as impactful in film history. It was also this brilliant storytelling in the OT which doomed any sequel attempts at feeling spectacular. Nothing can surpass I am your father. All IMO, of course.
“Obi-wan killed your father” would have been quite the shock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom