What If joe rhode were CEO?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Even Walt did not hold the official titles of corporate leadership.

Rhode is great at what he does, and what he does is nothing at all related to running a global entertainment conglomerate.

I guess what I should have said the park operation only not the entire corporation.

The Empress Lilly

The problem with Disney isn't that creatives aren't in control, or are stifled.

Iger has everywhere put creatives in control of their departments, gives them a free hand, and signs any cheque they request of him as long as they deliver.

As for Joe, he hasn't fixed the Yeti but did build Pandora, replaced ToT with Guardians and destroys an EPCOT original for a superhero thrill ride. :grumpy:

lazyboy97o

The problem with Disney isn't that creatives aren't in control, or are stifled.

Iger has everywhere put creatives in control of their departments, gives them a free hand, and signs any cheque they request of him as long as they deliver.

As for Joe, he hasn't fixed the Yeti but did build Pandora, replaced ToT with Guardians and destroys an EPCOT original for a superhero thrill ride. :grumpy:
Iger dictating that Disney will not finance attractions that do not support franchises is a stifling of creativity and a removal of creatives from control. He has also continued to place people with little to no prior experience in charge of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

The decision to build Pandora was made without input from Rohde and he doesn’t exactly come across as a Marvel fan boy.

The Empress Lilly

Iger dictating that Disney will not finance attractions that do not support franchises is a stifling of creativity and a removal of creatives from control. He has also continued to place people with little to no prior experience in charge of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

The decision to build Pandora was made without input from Rohde and he doesn’t exactly come across as a Marvel fan boy.
Yes, Joe always struck me too as more of a DC man...

All kidding aside, control does not mean independence. More, autonomy and a hands-off approach. Iger has no creative ambition, unlike his predecessor. Iger does realise he runs a creative enterprise and tries to create the conditions for creatives to bloom.
The running of the parks Iger seems to consider less a creative endeavor than an operational one, this might be a mistake. Akin to letting the creative direction of a movie be decided by the movie producer rather than the director. Also, I don't really know what I am talking about and handn't noticed anybody who does had already posted in this thread and

lazyboy97o

Yes, Joe always struck me too as more of a DC man...

All kidding aside, control does not mean independence. More, autonomy and a hands-off approach. Iger has no creative ambition, unlike his predecessor. Iger does realise he runs a creative enterprise and tries to create the conditions for creatives to bloom.
The running of the parks Iger seems to consider less a creative endeavor than an operational one, this might be a mistake. Akin to letting the creative direction of a movie be decided by the movie producer rather than the director. Also, I don't really know what I am talking about and handn't noticed anybody who does had already posted in this thread and
While Iger may not often impose the sort of direct creative input that Eisner was know for, the franchise mandate is a big creative limitation. The criteria is not the best story and experience, but the best box office permance.

My comment regarding Parks and Resorts is not that a creative should run the unit, but that someone with operational experience and passion should hold the post. Tom Staggs and Bob Chapek have a combined 0 days prior experience in operating a theme park or any fixed amusement. Jay Rasulo had some prior experience in Paris, openly loathed every minute of it and was chosen over Matt Ouimet.

MichRX7

Premium Member
If Joe was in charge it would probably look great but be in financial strain. Prices would double, but we'd all still pay.

Chef Mickey

The job of CEO of a company as big as Disney is very difficult. While I love Rhode, he'd be in over his head with the day to day tasks of being CEO. He's probably more effective in his current position.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Reading some of the posts, no one seems to know who can be put in charge to get the old Disney magic back?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think Disney needs a cerberus super CEO made up of three persons.
Joe, Djuan and Isaac Perlmutter of Marvel. er... maybe a 4-headed hydra if including John Lasseter. Someone like John Legere (of T-mobile) would also be a nice add. How many heads are we up to? If anything I think today's Disney is just too big for any one person to run successfully.

JIMINYCR

If anything I think today's Disney is just too big for any one person to run successfully.

Thinking the same here. It has shown in the past few years, even though Iger's delegating responsibilities and giving some freedoms in areas for key people to create and make moves that has been helpful all around, theres been times Disneys lost its way. Joe Rhode has been fantastic in the parts hes played and has a great track record but I dont view him as a capable CEO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
upload_2017-10-3_19-4-13.png

Goofyernmost

It wouldn't work. Every time he turned his head that earring would clang against the table and distract everyone. Even less would get done then it does now. He may have to lose that thing soon anyway because pretty soon he will be tripping over it. So a message to Joe... lose the damn earring. You have proven that you are one cool dude and the message that it sent in your youth (that of an in your face rebel) has passed as have the years. Now you just look like an old fool with a bunch of hardware hanging off the side of your head and a disfigured earlobe. It will be handy for hanging Christmas decorations as you sit in the nursing home, drooling in your wheelchair while someone hits a balloon your way to cleverly hit back to them with your pool noodles.

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven. That time has come, left it's mark and is now gone, Joe. Catch up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom