What if.... Gm is on its way out.....

ppete1975

Original Poster
No inside info, just at thought.
What if Gm (who we think contract ends next year) is leaving.
They signed their last agreement 2012 for 10 years.
Could that explain siemens and space ship earth.
Maybe we are getting another official car company for Disney.
Gm doesnt just support test track they are the official car of Disney.
This would not only impact Test track (maybe updated attraction, maybe the speedway, maybe the monorails)
Tesla anybody?

Mods feel free to move this if I violated any rules.

ppete1975

Original Poster
If GM leaves, maybe we could get a retheme of Test Track. Something that would fit with the space theme more. Build a spaceship???
electric cars? They could really turn it into how they are made and how batteries are made, how fast they can be etc. So just redo the scenes is about all they would have to do.

PirateFrank

Tesla seems like the perfect sponsor of Test Track. I always thought the change from the more mechanical, nuts & bolts TT, to the more tronish virtual car TT took the whole attraction away from real life motor vehicles. GM seems to be more in line with the original incarnation of the attraction and far less in line with the newer incarnation.

ppete1975

Original Poster
Musk could also show off the boring company (futuristic travel)
Boring bricks (impact on the environment and lower cost home building)
Spacex

I could see musk wanting to upgrade the monorails

So many attractions at epcot and disney could be tied to his many companies.

djkidkaz

I think with Tron opening soon it’s time for Test Track to get a full refresh. Current TT borrows too heavily from Tron stylized elements. Honestly I would love to see TT be completely replaced with a new ride. They could save the cars and finally build Cars Land at DHS and just reskin the old cars and move them over there.

Disstevefan1

No inside info, just at thought.
What if Gm (who we think contract ends next year) is leaving.
They signed their last agreement 2012 for 10 years.
Could that explain siemens and space ship earth.
Maybe we are getting another official car company for Disney.
Gm doesnt just support test track they are the official car of Disney.
This would not only impact Test track (maybe updated attraction, maybe the speedway, maybe the monorails)
Tesla anybody?

Mods feel free to move this if I violated any rules.
In my opinion, If GM stops sponsoring, they will simply remove all mentions/logos of GM and continue to operate. They will have to close to remove all the GM stuff. While closed the only work done would be to remove GM and possibly some technology; lighting, sound, system updates that are deemed economically feasible.

Haymarket2008

Test Track has, unfortunately, found itself into my "I'm fine if I don't ride every trip" pile.

It has joined the ranks of Star Tours 2.0.

I feel that it is a ride that has solidified itself among the community and I don't see it ever going away...but it just needs something drastically new. The Cars franchise: please stay away.

No Name

GM shows no signs of cutting off their sponsorship. They renewed their WDW contract when they went bankrupt. And they sponsor the Tron coaster in Shanghai, which isn’t a front-to-back advertisement like Test Track is. And they’re been doing commercials with Disney.

The Siemens situation is totally different, and their sponsorship never made much sense because they’re not very consumer-facing.

Mickey5150

Tesla wouldn't become a corporate sponsor, they don't even have a marketing or pr department. Besides GM has there own electric platform that is their future, I'd guess they'd put that into Test Track 1st.

MaryJaneP

Yikes! Anyone else unimpressed by Elon's SNL hosting. If TT is gonna be Tesla central, we acn probaby say goodbye to massive parts of the "design your own" and any entertainment whatsoever. GM, please keep on sponsoring.

JIMINYCR

GM isn’t in a hurry to abandon Disney. I believe they will hold on and keep adding on featuring new innovative product.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It’s very hard for me to believe that GM would leave Disney, it’s one of the few businesses where a partnership with Disney has an actual chance of paying out.

In fact I think it would be very smart for GM to lean in hard to the electric/ performance aspect to try to better connect their cars with electric vehicles (the ride is electric powered after all) and point out the torque and acceleration aspects only electric cars can provide at an upper middle class price point.

They could really benefit from becoming the second company you think of when you think of electric performance cars.

rio

I’m actually a fan of the current Test Track. True it’s not as at actual edutainment as it could be, it’s an attraction, with high guest interaction, does get its point across in a fun way, and ultimately is a better fit for Future World than most think.

As to the question posed, there would no longer be any branding, GM concepts in the que would be replaced, and there would be a lot of empty space where all the cars are. None of the mini games nor the ride itself are actually dependent on a car manufacturer being present. Same goes for the speedway.

Goofyernmost

I’m actually a fan of the current Test Track. True it’s not as at actual edutainment as it could be, it’s an attraction, with high guest interaction, does get its point across in a fun way, and ultimately is a better fit for Future World than most think.

As to the question posed, there would no longer be any branding, GM concepts in the que would be replaced, and there would be a lot of empty space where all the cars are. None of the mini games nor the ride itself are actually dependent on a car manufacturer being present. Same goes for the speedway.
Edutainment isn't even in the dictionary of current Disney policy. However, I would have to say the part where you design your vehicle is probably considered Education, but it is a stretch. If they reduce the financial requirements other car manufacturers could be tempted to support it just for the display opportunity at the end of the ride.

Goofy Ninja

electric cars? They could really turn it into how they are made and how batteries are made, how fast they can be etc. So just redo the scenes is about all they would have to do.

That sounds good, but it seems like the edutainment model is going more and more out the window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom