What I want in a resort, aka the Commando Hotel

sedati

Original Poster
After a recent trip I feel I've solidified what I want and don't want/need in WDW area accommodations. As anyone who at best spends about seven hours in their rooms, here's my proposal for a hotel for the commando tourist:

Theme: there is none. Function determines form. This thing will be minimalist, so hide it in the woods so even those on World Drive can't see its stark blandness.

Instead of a scenic lake, this property would encircle a bus loop, granting every room quick access to transportation. There would be no parking lot- instead, an outer ring of parking will encircle the property so each room has a space only steps away. Preferably a central location can be found so that the resort can offer the shortest travel times to each gate.

Rooms: No television. No bathtub. No decor. Possibly no drawers either as I and most of my traveling companions tend to just fish out of our luggage. These no-frills rooms will be small even by Disney standards (though the walls will be extra thick to ensure no precious sleep time is interrupted by outside noise.) The loss of room space will be made up by offering much more bathroom facilities: MULTIPLE shower stalls, and double the double sinks so that no one has to get up early or stay up late just to wash. Outlets/USB charging would be ridiculously abundant- no one can share an outlet as you're probably not in the room enough to get a full charge anyway. I don't honestly care if there's even a window, but if there must, then it will have the darkest blackout curtains available. The flooring in the room will be the best science can come up with to sooth feet that are no doubt calloused and blister-ridden from speed walking for fourteen hours straight.

Food: No restaurant, not even a food court. Strictly grab and go or room service.

This is of course for those traveling as a family or small group. I've never gone alone, but if I did, then I'll revise this whole concept and say simply put a Capsule Hotel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel) right in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot and I'll be just fine.

Anyone else ever have thoughts along these lines? Before each trip there's always talk of the amenities and other on-site niceties, but without fail, we never use them. If I'm going to spend money, I want it focused on what I actually need and want which is pretty much time in the parks and as much sleep and time off my feet as I can possibly manage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom