What has happened to the place we (used to) love?

mysto

If one wanted authenticity the Epcot UK and France pavilions restrooms would be pay to use, just like in some public bathrooms in London and Paris.
Complete with authentically themed filth saving on cleaning costs. It's a win-win!

AEfx

Speaking to the barber today

Them: “did you have a good trip”

Me: ”yes”

Them: ”I’ve friends who’ve just come back too. They said Disney has changed and not for the better. They’ll go back to Orlando but not Disney”

I’m hearing this more and more from regular, non fanatical, normal tourists.

Same here. The only people I know who speak positively of Disney these days in my social groups are "travel planners" who get discounts on their own trips by booking for others.

For the "normies", Disney has far exceeded the tolerance level for reasonable planning. It's no mystery, since the advent of modern Disney parks, there has always been a level of planning involved, but it has gotten to ridiculous levels.

When you add to that the cost of a Disney vacation has practically doubled over the past ten years, I have a very hard time in good conscience recommending anyone go, especially if they have been before, as they haven't changed/added that much (while also taking away).

AEfx

It used to be all about the guests and now it's all about making money. Obviously Disney is a for-profit business but it didn't feel like the #1 goal in the past.
That's just it - Disney was always about making money.

That said, they went about it by offering a world-class experience and amazing guest service. That's what people paid for, and what kept them coming back. "It's expensive, but they go all out at Disney so it's worth it" was how they lasted for quite some time.

You just don't hear those things from anyone anymore who doesn't drink the magical kool-aid.

carolina_yankee

My last Disney World trip was February 2020 - 9 nights at Riviera. Great Trip. Don’t know if we’ll ever be back at this point. During shutdown, I could make no sense out of paying DVC fees so we sold (for a profit!) and started traveling elsewhere. A great France trip this year, soon a cruise on Celebrity, and then Israel, Turkey, and Norway next year, and Egypt the following. Not pavilions. Real places! All for our Disney budget.

I told myself we’d be back when everything was open again. Then I told myself we’d be back when Guardians opened. Then when Tron opens, then when the Epcot walls all come down. Now, I don’t see a trip before May 2024 at the earliest. And then I think about what it will cost by then, and then I realize that what I’m going to go see is what is no longer. It truly is nostalgia - an ache for a paste that will never be again. And I just can’t. There is way too much else to enjoy in the world that will delight, entertain, and provide some escape.

The three things that really rub me the wrong way:
  • The loss of creativity and uniqueness by focusing on purchased IP and endless sequels.
  • The absolutely cheapness and abusrdity of resort fees, especially parking, along with canceling Magical Express, so more money for less.
  • Genie+ and the cheapening of the whole Disney experience while forcing payments equivalent to admission to get what good planning, scheduling, and free FPs got us in the past.
It truly isn’t worth it. And yet, I check in on occasion, not because of schadenfreude, but because I really want Disney to be Disney and the economics to make sense for the return.

Wel, I went during one golden era in the ‘70s, again in another golden era late ‘90s and 2000s, and rode it to its sunset. If Disney is truly Disney, a new golden era will emerge. Or something else will take its place.

wdwfan4ver

The three things that really rub me the wrong way:
  • The loss of creativity and uniqueness by focusing on purchased IP and endless sequels.
  • The absolutely cheapness and abusrdity of resort fees, especially parking, along with canceling Magical Express, so more money for less.
  • Genie+ and the cheapening of the whole Disney experience while forcing payments equivalent to admission to get what good planning, scheduling, and free FPs got us in the past.
It truly isn’t worth it. And yet, I check in on occasion, not because of schadenfreude, but because I really want Disney to be Disney and the economics to make sense for the return.

Wel, I went during one golden era in the ‘70s, again in another golden era late ‘90s and 2000s, and rode it to its sunset. If Disney is truly Disney, a new golden era will emerge. Or something else will take its place.
Genie+ and canceling Magic Express is happening for a reason.

The Walt Disney Company is in a lot of debt. As of June of this year, the Walt Disney Company is over 46 billion dollars in debt. When January of 2024 comes, the Walt Disney Company will get its debt increase by 8.8 billion dollars. What is happened is 2 things. Disney in January of 2024 is forced to buy Comcasts 33 percent stake in Hulu and that costs 8.8 billion dollars.

The 46 billion dollar debt currently is caused by Bob Iger bought Fox. Remember Disney bought Fox for over 71 billion dollars. Disney paid that much after Comcast drove up the price. Iger's ego had Disney give an offer of over 71 billion dollars. What Iger did is set Disney poorly if a pandemic happen from a money standpoint with the company force to borrow money.

To my understanding Disney has not made money on Fox yet. There is movie stuff coming up from the Fox IP standpoint such as the X-Men and Deadpool Movie rights.

The debt has a lot to do with the theme parks due to Covid. Remember Disney had to borrow money in 2020 due to Covid.

Covid forced a lot of Disney's revenues to shutdown in 2020 and Disney had to cut stuff from a theme park construction standpoint. I said revenues because of Disney Cruise line was shutdown in 2020, the movie theaters were closed down for most of 2020, and we all know about the Disney theme parks worldwide.

Disney is very money hungry with the parks and resort division with them seeing the parks being the easiest and quickest way to pay off the debt. The answer is cut expenses for the parks and raise more money for the parks. The theme park customers have to pay Iger's mess that has Disney in a lot of debt. The consumers choice right now is either not going to the parks or be willing to spend more for less for your money.

carolina_yankee

The Walt Disney Company is in a lot of debt. As of June of this year, the Walt Disney Company is over 46 billion dollars in debt. When January of 2024 comes, the Walt Disney Company will get its debt increase by 8.8 billion dollars. What is happened is 2 things. Disney in January of 2024 is forced to buy Comcasts 33 percent stake in Hulu and that costs 8.8 billion dollars.

The 46 billion dollar debt currently is caused by Bob Iger bought Fox. Remember Disney bought Fox for over 71 billion dollars. Disney paid that much after Comcast drove up the price. Iger's ego had Disney give an offer of over 71 billion dollars. What Iger did is set Disney poorly if a pandemic happen from a money standpoint with the company force to borrow money.

To my understanding Disney has not made money on Fox yet. There is movie stuff coming up from the Fox IP standpoint such as the X-Men and Deadpool Movie rights.

The debt has a lot to do with the theme parks due to Covid. Remember Disney had to borrow money in 2020 due to Covid.

Covid forced a lot of Disney's revenues to shutdown in 2020 and Disney had to cut stuff from a theme park construction standpoint. I said revenues because of Disney Cruise line was shutdown in 2020, the movie theaters were closed down for most of 2020, and we all know about the Disney theme parks worldwide.

Disney is very money hungry with the parks and resort division with them seeing the parks being the easiest and quickest way to pay off the debt. The answer is cut expenses for the parks and raise more money for the parks. The theme park customers have to pay Iger's mess that has Disney in a lot of debt. The consumers choice right now is either not going to the parks or be willing to spend more for less for your money.
That’s all very nice, but my wallet isn’t for solving Disney’s problems. The bottom line is they cost more, offer less, and make it intensely more complicated and less fun than even five years ago. If they could only put some of that famous Disney creativity into making me want to give them my money instead of my finding more valuable alternative experiences.

JoeCamel

As the parks have been for a long time, cash cow but the cow can only give so much milk.
How about the Iger legacy project, how is that going??

Lilofan

As the parks have been for a long time, cash cow but the cow can only give so much milk.
How about the Iger legacy project, how is that going??
When MCO had several thousand or what looked like more fellow guests lined up at 4am recently , me included going through TSA , a number of them decked out in WDW shirts and hats, plenty of ones sucking that cows milk as described. I just made my 6am flight. Seems like that cow has plenty of milk to suck on. The long awaited Terminal C at MCO is open for business for more travelers to enjoy Orlando and WDW!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom