Trip Report What Happens After the Girls Cruise…

I’m finally writing part 2!! Woo hoo!! It’s taken me forever to get to this part! So sorry for those that have waited patiently. :) Life, holidays and a few other trips slowed me down. This is part 2 of my girls’ cruise trip report. And while there is no actual cruising in this part, there are several girls’ cruisers, and a few other WDWMagic members, who make appearances!

Who: Me! And some other members! Like I said. :) Here I am with my roomie for the week @DisneyHeather:

When: September 13-18, 2013

What: 6 Nights at the Contemporary

Why: Well because it’s Disney of course. But also because of a work trip. The work trip followed the girls’ cruise by just a few days, so it seemed silly to go all the way home. Am I right?

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 1 – Arrive at the Contemporary

After a completely amazing girls’ cruise, I boarded the bus to the Contemporary with a few others headed that direction. We all devoured our phones and caught up on all the emails we’d missed over the last few days.

Heather wasn’t coming for a couple more nights so I checked in alone. We found out we were in the Garden Wing which was a little disappointing, but it ended up being a good experience. Pam and Jenell were going to be down the hall from me. So we all walked that way.

Here’s my room! I love the Contemporary. So much.

Here’s my view:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I had planned on meeting Kelly aka @sweetpee_1993 (who checked into Animal Kingdom Lodge) for a day at a waterpark but email sucked me in, and I think laundry sucked her in. :D I stayed in the room until Pam, Betsy and Dani (Pam’s daughter who was at Disney for the college program) were going to lunch at the Contempo Café and I joined them.

This was not my first or last meal there and I always enjoy it.

I had pizza:

And this little beauty:

It was no Starring Rolls, but it hit the spot.

Kelly came over shortly thereafter. We took a grand tour of the monorail resorts and, more importantly, the shops inside. Kelly bought a great purse at the Grand Floridian. I bought some pens and other small things at the Contemporary. For some reason, the only pictures I took were of Magic Band bling. :banghead: But it was new at the time and it fascinated me!

We had a big dinner planned tonight, so we parted ways in time to change and meet up with some pre-dinner friends!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Who you ask? Why @Billy6 and his beautiful wife Heather! She of the pink shoes fame. If you don’t know of what I speak, Bill’s Disneymoon trip report contained some beautiful wedding pictures but Heather’s gorgeous pink shoes hijacked the report several times. :)

Bill and Heather were there for a few days so we met up in the Contemporary lounge and sat and talked for a little while. Kelly joined us as well! It was great to meet them in person. For some reason I neglected to take any pictures, but I rectified that when we saw them the next day!

Dinner tonight was at the brand new-to-you California Grill with some girls’ cruisers! Luckily the company was great because little did we know we were about to embark on one of the longest dinners of our lives.

Kelly, @Howe and @joanna71985 were here!

@Tiggerish and @plaz10 showed up soon.

A waiter walked by at one point and laughed at us taking pictures of the napkins.

Here’s our view. Not bad when no one was sitting at that table!

This looks like we were caught up in our phones, but really we were instagramming, photographing and tweeting. That’s totally different right? Besides, we put them down quickly. :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
New menu:

Here is Siobhan’s appetizer. I don’t remember what it was, but I believe it was duck? I remember it had a name that made me laugh. I have no idea why. :) I’m sure she can help us out when she returns from her cruise (!).

Someone had this:

I had the filet, as is my way. It was delicious.

Someone had scallops!

Joanna's mac & cheese looked amazing.

I think this was Siobhan’s dessert.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I’d seen pictures of my dessert beforehand and I was super excited. How adorable is this?

Wait! There’s more!

And one more. It was a trio of cuteness!

But really, look again.

So here are my thoughts on dinner.

1. I think everyone enjoyed their food, but our service was brutal. The waitress was friendly enough, but our meal took 3 hours. 3 hours!

2. It was like pulling teeth to get coke refills. I had three small glasses. In THREE hours!! After my glass was empty for 30 minutes or so the first time she asked, “Oh, did you want another coke?” Um. Yes. We haven’t even gotten our meal yet? Wouldn't you assume I would like to drink the drink I ordered with my dinner? I had to ask for the second and final refill after waiting quite a while. It’s not hard! Olive Garden can do it! Surely California Grill can too! Sorry, rant over...

3. My $75 meal at Remy a few days before didn’t seem quite so outrageous after I saw my bill tonight. My steak was $49. That was one course! My meal was $60 before the tip and I had two courses. Suddenly multiple courses for $75 sounded a lot better.

But the food was good and the company was great! And I went back a few nights later and actually had a much better experience service wise. :)

After watching the fireworks from our table, we all said goodnight and I went back to my room. I called my family for the first time to get caught up on the last few days and fell sound asleep!

Tomorrow – Meet up with some more WDWMagic members and the Villains party! :)

Disneygal1

Drooling over the Cali Grill photos! I am dying to go, especially since it's been renovated. Too bad the meal was long, but I'm glad to read that the overall experience was good!

sweetpee_1993

Tammy, you're back! Well, not that you've been gone, really, but I always get excited when I have more of your adventures to read and gorgeous pics to ponder! Oh and I get to have a little part in this one! I feel like a supah-staaaaaahhh!!! On my own little nerdy level, of course!

Shopping the monorail was fun! I'm so glad we did that. Others may tour the monorail resorts, some may drink their way around. We shopped. Perfect! Still lovin my Harvey's bag. Still kicking myself for not getting a bigger one. LOL! If only I could've thrown cost to the wind and indulged all those Lilly's! Ugh!

Cali Grill was tasty. But looooong. I think I was just especially tired that evening. I dunno. You're so right that the price made are my feel like a bargain. The service sure gave us a new appreciation for all the doting at Remy, huh? I'd rather have too much attention than too little. I had to remind our waitress about the beer I ordered twice I think. @Howe noticed it along with me. Took at least 45 minutes and 2 asks after ordering to get it. Yikes! So glad you went back and had a better experience.

I'm with you. I love the Contemporary rooms, too. :inlove:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Fantastic!! A Tammy trip report--this will ease my return to reality, as I disembarked from the Dream just this morning.

Appetizer was Duck Every Which Way, and yes, that was my dessert, the Seasonal Trio of Apple Cider, Apple Something and Apple Something Else, all of which were delicious!

(I also feel better about the fact that I have still to finish my trip report featuring Villains Night. I'll be getting right on that ;) )

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Drooling over the Cali Grill photos! I am dying to go, especially since it's been renovated. Too bad the meal was long, but I'm glad to read that the overall experience was good!

It was good overall! We just had an off server that night I think. It wouldn't (and didn't) stop me from going back! :)

Tammy, you're back! Well, not that you've been gone, really, but I always get excited when I have more of your adventures to read and gorgeous pics to ponder! Oh and I get to have a little part in this one! I feel like a supah-staaaaaahhh!!! On my own little nerdy level, of course!

Shopping the monorail was fun! I'm so glad we did that. Others may tour the monorail resorts, some may drink their way around. We shopped. Perfect! Still lovin my Harvey's bag. Still kicking myself for not getting a bigger one. LOL! If only I could've thrown cost to the wind and indulged all those Lilly's! Ugh!

Cali Grill was tasty. But looooong. I think I was just especially tired that evening. I dunno. You're so right that the price made are my feel like a bargain. The service sure gave us a new appreciation for all the doting at Remy, huh? I'd rather have too much attention than too little. I had to remind our waitress about the beer I ordered twice I think. @Howe noticed it along with me. Took at least 45 minutes and 2 asks after ordering to get it. Yikes! So glad you went back and had a better experience.

I'm with you. I love the Contemporary rooms, too. :inlove:

Supah Stahh!!

Hah! I didn't even think of it that way. Shopping the monorail was the perfect thing to do. Next time we need more money! Lol

It was so interesting to compare California Grill with Remy! They should have been so much more similar than they were. A few nights later it was much much better though. I think our waiter's name was Steve that night and he was awesome.

Fantastic!! A Tammy trip report--this will ease my return to reality, as I disembarked from the Dream just this morning.

Appetizer was Duck Every Which Way, and yes, that was my dessert, the Seasonal Trio of Apple Cider, Apple Something and Apple Something Else, all of which were delicious!

(I also feel better about the fact that I have still to finish my trip report featuring Villains Night. I'll be getting right on that ;) )

Siobhan!! Welcome home! I can't wait to hear how your hubby liked it!

Duck Every Which Way! Hah! Love that name.

There's no judging on delayed trip reports here. :)

Tiggerfanatic

Goody! More awesome Girls fun!

The Contemporary is my absolute favorite - we should do Cruise Eve dinner there for the next Girls Cruise. I just want dessert - I LOVE those tiny Coke bottles!

And @Tiggerish Welcome back! Can't wait to hear about your Valentine cruise!

PartOfYourWorld

Yay! So happy to see you are finally starting this!!!

Is it just me or do those pillows look like those bluebonnet (or something like that) cheese ball things. (I always see a commercial for those)

Your pictures of the California Grill look spectacular! I cannot wait to eat there in May! Our anniversary dinner a few days early than the actual anniversary! :) What kind of sauce was that on the filet????

Can't wait to read the rest!

Billy6

It's about time.... What? Were you in a cast or something? Jeesh! ;)

Heather and I appreciate the shout out and the pleasure of meeting you and Kelly! :D

Can't wait to read about Villains night! Wait...I was there!

Forward!

sweetpee_1993

Heather and I appreciate the shout out and the pleasure of meeting you and Kelly! :D

Forward!
Billy! You & Heather were so cool! I soooo regret missing that Eastern! It was such a pleasure to meet y'all!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Goody! More awesome Girls fun!

The Contemporary is my absolute favorite - we should do Cruise Eve dinner there for the next Girls Cruise. I just want dessert - I LOVE those tiny Coke bottles!

And @Tiggerish Welcome back! Can't wait to hear about your Valentine cruise!

More girls fun! Woo hoo!!

I agree. Let's do it. Tiny coke bottles for everyone!

Yay! So happy to see you are finally starting this!!!

Is it just me or do those pillows look like those bluebonnet (or something like that) cheese ball things. (I always see a commercial for those)

Your pictures of the California Grill look spectacular! I cannot wait to eat there in May! Our anniversary dinner a few days early than the actual anniversary! :) What kind of sauce was that on the filet????

Can't wait to read the rest!

I know! It took me long enough! :)

That's hilarious. They kind of do!

I am so bad at remembering what I ate! Haha! I have no idea! It was very good though. :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster

Forward!

Ha! I certainly was! Well a sling that strapped one arm to my body! But I can only use that excuse for the last 6 weeks. My excuses for the weeks before that are not as good. :)

It was our pleasure, really! :)

Villains coming tomorrow!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom