What happened to The Living Seas?

headmouse2000

Original Poster
Probably every one knows this but i dont What happened to the ride at the living Seas .

please respond on When it was dismanteled and reasons why.

Thank You:confused:

strobe

Originally posted by meanmice
It closed a while ago, but I'm not sure when or why. I don't believe that there are any plans to reopen it any time soon.

Yeah, I was caught off guard by that. I went last April, and went into the queue expecting to enjoy the ride. I was surprised when everything was bypassed. I think they could do so much more with that pavillion. It's one of the areas that could really be revitalized without a whole ton of money.

disneydawg

When I went in July I didnt know they had closed it. I was surprised to find that out. I also didnt remember them giving you a choice of seeing the film or going straight to Sea Base Alpha. I think they really could do alot more with this pavillion. I'm not sure the Nemo rumor would be a good fit, but rehabing the interior would be a nice thing.

TIGGER-FAN

While doing the Dive Quest Tour this past January, I looked into the tunnel the ride went through. The cars are still in there and it did not look like they were doing any work on it. I think they just stopped using them.

Scooter

Budget cuts...

...Disney didn't want to pay 2-4 Castmembers to load and unload people on a ride that basically lasted about 2 minutes.

Although I miss the Sea Cabs, I can understand why Disney chose to shut them down. It seems like as soon as I got IN the Sea Cab...I blinked and It was time to get out.:lol:

It was a nice opportunity to sit down for a minute though. That's why I always choose to watch the movie...so I can sit down for a few minutes...

...and it rained..and it rained...and it rained...

...the Deluge:sohappy:

mousefan17

I was just there in july and hadnt done the living seas in a few years, and we were very confused and thought that we had missed the ride part, but when we asked, the cm told us that they had closed about a year ago! so I couldnt even tell that they were even there in the first place!

strobe

Originally posted by Scooter
Budget cuts...

...Disney didn't want to pay 2-4 Castmembers to load and unload people on a ride that basically lasted about 2 minutes.

Although I miss the Sea Cabs, I can understand why Disney chose to shut them down. It seems like as soon as I got IN the Sea Cab...I blinked and It was time to get out.:lol:

It was a nice opportunity to sit down for a minute though. That's why I always choose to watch the movie...so I can sit down for a few minutes...

...and it rained..and it rained...and it rained...

...the Deluge:sohappy:

Two minutes or no - I enjoyed the ride!! hehe :lol: It was nice and relaxing. I just think they could do a lot with this pavillion, without spending a ton of cash...

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by strobe
Two minutes or no - I enjoyed the ride!! hehe :lol: It was nice and relaxing. I just think they could do a lot with this pavillion, without spending a ton of cash...

I think it would be kinda hard to remodel in there, because of all the giant tanks they have there...but they could add a new film or stick something on to the side of the building if they wanted to add on (if there is any room, anyway). But I think it would cost a lot of money to move the tanks, which seem to be smack dab in the middle of the pavilion, which might make it hard to add anything on to it. Maybe if they added another floor above the current one?

Dr Albert Falls

From what I understand, the "Sea Cabs through the tunnels" was supposed to be the grand finale of a much longer Omnimover dark ride. When Living Seas began to go overbudget, Disney reportedly chopped most of the dark ride in exchange for the movie.

I've always been surprised that Disney decided to keep the remaining 2-minute ride. It never made sense-- other than, when it opened, Disney could promote the attraction as a "ride".

I've never heard details about the proposed "Nemo" overlay, but Disney certainly could bring back their original plans for an undersea dark ride. They would probably have to gut the Hydrolators, and certainly the theaters. Since the existing Sea Cabs have a flawed design (the "doors" that allow guests to jump out and trip the E-Stop), all new vehicles would have to be built.

Will Disney pony up the cash for this major (and much-needed) overhaul? Or will they just throw in a few fresh pre-show movies and turn the old Sea Cabs track into a walk-thru? Time will tell....

Scooter

If Disney chooses NOT to use the Sea Cabs again, I think it would be fun if they put in a MOVING WALKWAY in it's place.

That way people could either walk fast to get to the Hydrolators, or just stand there and let the walkway do the work while they enjoy a gingerly, peaceful ride while viewing the occupants in the giant fish tank. :)

dxwwf3

Originally posted by Scooter
If Disney chooses NOT to use the Sea Cabs again, I think it would be fun if they put in a MOVING WALKWAY in it's place.

That way people could either walk fast to get to the Hydrolators, or just stand there and let the walkway do the work while they enjoy a gingerly, peaceful ride while viewing the occupants in the giant fish tank. :)

I can't believe I have never thought of that but that is a wonderful idea. Heck if they just even carpeted it up to where you could freely walk through there it would be wonderful. We would actually go back to the pavilion if they did that. I haven't been in there in about 5 years. And yes if they could do anything Nemo related it would be wonderful. If they even just had some clownfish and other fish featured in the movie and they could have monitors with the actual characters talking about "how they live" and "what they eat" and stuff like that. They could very easily make that place worthwile again.

Merlin0402

I thought that they did remove the ride track and carpet the area! What did they do then? How is it layed out now? Didn't you have to go through that tunnel to get to Sea Base Alpha? I'm confused...:veryconfu

tinkerbell2

How long has the ride been closed? I was at Epcot April 2002 and went into the living seas for the first time. I searched for a ride but found nothing! I saw a short movie and then went into the hydrolaters but that was it. I'm sure the ride added something special to the living seas. It just seems to be an ordinary aquarium really.:(

Dr Albert Falls

Right after you got off the Hydrolators, there used to be a typical Omnimover loading area that's now boarded up ( but the queue switchbacks still remain!)

The ride traveled the lower level of the observation deck (you saw the exact same things as you see on the upper deck--only you moved past the windows)

It was a very pointless ride. They needed to close it. But now they need to re-open the old track area as a walk-thru.

Donfan

I'm not sure I agree that the ride was pointless. Riding the Sea Cabs was a good way to see into the aquarium without having to fight with other people in your way. I agree that the tunnel should be used in some way, even if nothing more that as a walk through. It does allow for a very different perspective on the tank than from the upper level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom