What happened to Space Mountain today?

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
Anyone know what happened at Space Mountain today between noon and 2 pm? The wait and FASTPASS distribution times went up much faster than expected. It's possible there was a mechanical issue, so if anyone knows I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks!

Len

juan

considering it's a sold out night for MVMCP, I would imagine the MK was VERY crowded

thus wait times and FP distribution were affected:wave:

_Scar

Last Saturday Space was closed for the first few hours of park opening and later that day it was closed again... but when I rode TTA right after being rejected by the Space CM it was running- and yet they said the ride was "down". The wait was at 90 minutes btw. Do they just close it for a period of time to shorten the queue waiting time?

tractorm3

There are a ton of reasons why it could close down. Remeber it is just comming off a major rehab so some tweaking of the ride can be expected.

one reason could be the track rails are pretty much hollow tubes and on some sections they fill them with nitrogen gas. they then put pressure switches into the track and if the pressure goes down and alarm sounds and the ride has to be shut down. Its a great way of looking for stress cracks since they cant always be seen

Some other times when the run the trains as fast as the computer will allow, the motors driving the lift chain can heat up, so they have to reduce the load thus making wait times go way up.

there is also a chance that an e-stop was tripped and they run the mtn with empty cars to check it out.

were there people in the cars when you rode the TTA?

Ok ....

Being a former space mtn castmember let me clear up some confusion ...

there is NO testing of track for stress fractures while the ride is open
the chain also does not heat up and have to run less trains
THESE ARE FALSE

These are the reasons space can go down
cascades(too many trains at unload)
auto e-stop

Also dont forget that space got a new computer system so there still may be glitches.

Also if there are trains running, but they not letting people in means that there was a cascade and they are dumping the queue. They allow the people to ride who are in the building once track is reset, and then they reopen once all those people are in the inside queue.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion

_Scar

Also if there are trains running, but they not letting people in means that there was a cascade and they are dumping the queue. They allow the people to ride who are in the building once track is reset, and then they reopen once all those people are in the inside queue.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion

Thanks! It did!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom