What do you think of Coronado Springs?

liloohana

Hi again!! I posted a few weeks ago about ideas for a family of 5, and everyone gave such great advice....so I thought I'd ask again. My son
may not be going with us in July (he was invited to an important summer camp), so now we have even more options!!
Right now we have the Polynesian booked, but as passholders, it would be $1000!! less if we stayed at a moderate resort. We've stayed at POFQ, POR, CAR, WL, ASM, and PC. Never Coronado Springs!! I've heard several different reviews and thought I should ask the experts!!
My friend told me that CS is a convention hotel, so during the day the pool isn't as crowded as other resorts. Has anyone found this to be true?
Also, with it being a conventional hotel, does it still have a fun and family atmosphere?
Does anyone have a preference between the Casitas, Cabanans, or Ranchos? The pool looks like a lot of fun!!
My dream is to stay at the Polynesian...but the savings are pulling at my purse strings!!
Thanks for anyone's advice and experiences!!

DisneyJoe

Its a large resort, try to request a room between the pool and the main building - cabanas, I think.

Buses and pool are definitely less crowded.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Hi again!! I posted a few weeks ago about ideas for a family of 5, and everyone gave such great advice....so I thought I'd ask again. My son
may not be going with us in July (he was invited to an important summer camp), so now we have even more options!!
Right now we have the Polynesian booked, but as passholders, it would be $1000!! less if we stayed at a moderate resort. We've stayed at POFQ, POR, CAR, WL, ASM, and PC. Never Coronado Springs!! I've heard several different reviews and thought I should ask the experts!!
My friend told me that CS is a convention hotel, so during the day the pool isn't as crowded as other resorts. Has anyone found this to be true?
Also, with it being a conventional hotel, does it still have a fun and family atmosphere?
Does anyone have a preference between the Casitas, Cabanans, or Ranchos? The pool looks like a lot of fun!!
My dream is to stay at the Polynesian...but the savings are pulling at my purse strings!!

We have stayed here several times, and next to AKL this is MY FAVORITE resort. Yes is does have a convention center there and the only time is have seen any of the convention attendees is at the Pepper Market in the morning around breakfat time. Again this is a HUGE resort, so depending on what you want to be close to, I definitely recommend requesting a specific area ahead of time. We love the casitas and cabanas.

CS stills has the Disney feeling and family atmosphere is my eyes. And yes the pool is great!

I do not think you will be disappointed.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

In general what I have read is that the pools and food court are less crowded because of people staying there are in meetings or seminars. And the whole resort is very big, so be carefull where you request your room to be. The website listed above is really good and the fellow who runs it is a super nice guy who will answer questions that may not be addressed. All in all I was convinced it would be nice. Goin down for four days next week and staying there. Ask me on the 16th I'll give you my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Disney05

Love this resort! This is absolutely our favorite Mod. And our standby if we don't do deluxe. We will be there is less than 3 weeks. Beautiful grounds, great pool, newly renovated rooms, not bad food, big gift shop. Buses can be hit or miss but generally very good.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

We stayed there for three nights in 2009. We stayed about as far from the food court/main building as you can get, and we didn't find it a problem. We had a car and you could just drive around to the front. Your car can be parked really, really close to your door.

Pool is great. Really good slide. Longer than SOME deluxe resort slides. the walk to the pool was not bad either.

It felt as "Disney" to me as CBR did back in 2004.

If you have the DDP, the food court is great. Otherwise, it might not be a great value. Can't say as I have only had the plan when I visited it. To give you some idea, I wasn't staying there last month, I was staying at a deluxe, but I still came back to the Pepper Market.

Upvote 0

smittycuse

We have stayed there twice in the past two visits. The first time was around Christmas of 2009 and the second was Presidents' Week this year. Both times we had enough family members to warrant adjoining rooms. With that being said, we love Coronado Springs! It is definitely a convention hotel, but that does not detract from the family/Disney feel.
We did not spend a lot of time at the pool, but when we were there it was not very crowded, plus it is a great theme.
It is spread out quite a bit, so there could be some walking involved. Your best bet is to request a room in the Casitas building 2. It is closest to the main building which houses the food court (which is great by the way) and the front desk and shops. Also, it is closest to bus stop #2 which is the first to board and first to get dropped off. We stayed in that building for our first visit. We requested it for the second one, but got the Ranchos instead. The room was great, just a further walk from the main building and closer to bus stop #3 (there are 4 in all).
Another plus for us were the privacy doors that close to the bathroom, which allowed us to get ready in the morning while our boys got to sleep for a few more minutes (there are curtains in other hotels).
While we will probably stay somewhere else next year, we would not hesitate to return to Coronado. I am positive we will return there.
Hope this info helps.

Upvote 0

MegLovesDisney

Exceeded My Expectations..

Let me tell you, I've been to Disney 6 times, I just got back a week ago today :( I've stayed at Caribbean Beach twice, Dixie Landings (Port Orleans), All Star Music and 2 times off site. I thought for Moderate Resorts Caribbean Beach was as good as it gets but I was WRONG! (In a good way) Coronado Springs is a huge, beautiful very much realistic Meixcan-type resort that was BREATHTAKING day and night (especially nighttime) with white sand beach areas with hammocks, fountains, gorgeous trees and flowers EVERYWHERE, a nice lake in the middle, gorgeous lobby and restaurant area...I mean I could go on and on. The rooms are recently renovated too which were great style and very up to date. The main area El Centro is very nice complete with a food court, restaurant, counter service cafe and outdoor bar/dining area. It was fantastic. I could walk around there all day just for the atmosphere...and the pool is a whole other story. Huge, fun...a 22 person hot tub...what more could you want?
For the value it was 5 star. I would recommend it to anyone. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MickeyKimmy

I guess I am in the minority here but this is the one mod resort that DH and I do not like. The theme does not particularly appeal to me, and I didn't like the whole "convention" feel to the resort. It seemed everywhere we went there were businessmen in suits on their blackberries. Kind of took away from the whole vacation feel of the resort, but that is just my opinion. Obviously, there are a lot of other people who feel differently. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I love CSR! It has a great main pool area that offers the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The arcade and playground are great to have in this area as well.

CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous. The rooms have a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods.

CSR has the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). They offer a separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

They also have a fitness center, spa, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club for the times you just want to hang back at the resort.

CSR has terrific transportation that is not shared with another resort.

You'll definitely want to check out my CSR website below.

Upvote 0

PlaneCrazy1978

I guess I am in the minority here but this is the one mod resort that DH and I do not like. The theme does not particularly appeal to me, and I didn't like the whole "convention" feel to the resort. It seemed everywhere we went there were businessmen in suits on their blackberries. Kind of took away from the whole vacation feel of the resort, but that is just my opinion. Obviously, there are a lot of other people who feel differently. :shrug:

I agree with you. The resort was OK, but just seeing someone in a business suit going to a meeting while I'm on vacation was a bit strange. Reminded me of being at work. Took me out of Disney "mode" for a little while.

I have to admit through, Pepper's Market was really good.

Upvote 0

liloohana

Original Poster
Thanks to all!! And keep the advice coming!!

Again....thanks for all the advice. I'm so torn about switching my hotel!!
I am DYING to stay at the Polynesian!! My husband and I laugh at how many days we're at the Polynesian every trip (Kona cafe-Tonga toast and great coffee)...and yet we've never stayed there as a family. But I keep thinking of how little time we actually spend in our room and is it really worth it for all that money. We'll drive, so the monorail isn't quite as important, but it is a wonderful perk.

I'm glad to hear so many wonderful things about the resort, because the atmosphere is important. I think we'll be OK with a few people in business attire...it might actually make us feel happier...Hooray!! We're on vacation...sorry you have to work!!

I've been on the website (Buzz's, too) and the pool looks awesome, as well as the cabanas and casitas...not the rancheros.

I'm really excited to see a different resort, as well. We've never even driven onto their property or eaten at their food court.

Again, thank you to everyone and I'll appreciate any more advice. I still haven't switched. I keep trying to talk myself out of the Polynesian, so all the good things about CS is good for me.

It's such a typical Disney story...we bought the annual pass so we could go 3 times this year. But with doing that, we knew we'd stay at the cheapest resort possible since it was such a treat to go so many times. And then I go and book the Polynesian!! Go figure:lol:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I have never stayed there but I don't care for the theme. I would pick the Poly over it any day. Which ever you choose, you will have a great trip!:wave:

Upvote 0

challisgal

I've stayed at Coronado twice - once in 2006 as a convention attendee and once in 2007 on vacation.

The convention area is set back a ways from the rest of the main building and you probably won't have much contact with it. It's the same building, but connected by a long hallway. Disney security does monitor this area. Many conventions, for example, have free 'internet cafes' for their attendees. I went early once to use it and was dressed in casual clothes. I was stopped twice by security and had to show my badge. I doubt that would have happened, though, if I hadn't been hanging around the equipment. In other words, if you wander into the business part by mistake, don't worry about being tackled. It's removed enough from the rest of the main building that you probably wouldn't encounter it.

Upvote 0

MMCoffman

Great Resort

We were there September 2010. We stayed in Ranchos, the building farthest from the main building. Walking to the pool was just a few city blocks, the pool was nearly empty (of people) and we went all 6 days we were there. We picked this resort for 2 reasons, it was just remodeled and it was the only moderate with queen beds. You will enjoy it! The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the food court, we went to once for a LATE supper, they seemed to be under staffed and the food was mediocre.

Upvote 0

We stayed at Coronado Springs in Sept. 2008 and loved it! The theming is gorgeous! It is a beautiful resort with white sand "beaches", hammocks and fountains. The Dig site pool was amazing and we took advantage of the hot tub every night. It is a huge resort though with lots of walking. The good news is, there are several bus stops. We stayed in the Rancho's section between a quiet pool and the Dig site pool. Dining was great too! We ate at the Pepper market each day for breakfast. There is also a marina were you can rent jet ski's and sail boats. I would stay at Coronado and save some money - or spend it at the parks! :p Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom