What do you tell the haters?

Weather_Lady

The only implied criticism we've gotten is from a family member who prefers to vacation exclusively in "non-touristy" types of international vacations and immerse herself in the local culture, food and history, and doesn't quite understand why others would want to do things differently. I know she means well, so when she asks why we're Orlando-bound again I reminder her that: (1) half of our vacations are of a historical/education nature, to places that are not in Florida or California; and (2) we have two kids, who have a limited tolerance for looking at old things and are growing up fast, so as long as they still get a kick out of a hug from Goofy or an animatronic pirate battle, by golly, we're going to seize the day.

Heppenheimer

The only implied criticism we've gotten is from a family member who prefers to vacation exclusively in "non-touristy" types of international vacations and immerse herself in the local culture, food and history, and doesn't quite understand why others would want to do things differently. I know she means well, so when she asks why we're Orlando-bound again I reminder her that: (1) half of our vacations are of a historical/education nature, to places that are not in Florida or California; and (2) we have two kids, who have a limited tolerance for looking at old things and are growing up fast, so as long as they still get a kick out of a hug from Goofy or an animatronic pirate battle, by golly, we're going to seize the day.
I ran into those types of tourists... oops, sorry, they're "travelers, not tourists" sometimes when I lived in Germany. Inevitably, their "non-touristy" destinations were all the same exact collection of locations listed in the Rick Steves book and not a single place that didn't make the editorial cut. And "immersing themselves in the local culture" usually meant going to an art museum, visiting a palace or castle or observing some pre-industrial activity that is kept alive exclusively for tourists.

And of course, there's nothing wrong with doing any of those things, but I just found the attitude a bit stuck-up, considering that they were doing the same exact types of stuff that every tourist has done since the Grand Tour first became fashionable.

Last edited:

KaliSplash

Generally I don't encounter such. I do encounter some who say it's too expensive. But then, some people chose to spend lots of money on new drivers, green fees, etc. or new camping equipment, or new whatever.
Doesn't bother me in the least.

Skibum1970

Everyone has a right to their opinion I say nothing to them and move on

I have found this to be the best approach. Nothing that you say is going to sway them and vice versa. I enjoy the parks and the one-stop shop approach to a Disney vacation. We also enjoy going to national parks or other similar destinations but those go differently as they involve more driving to get to the locale to be explored. Each approach has its own appeal, certainly, and I am just happy to be able to take these types of vacations.

Pepper's Ghost

Yes, we all know WDW isn't perfect (nothing is) and there are plenty of complaint threads in this forum that speak to the negative side of the Mouse. But the fact remains, a guy from rural Missouri took an orange grove in California and swampland in Florida and created something transcendent. Truly magical.

Would love to hear your thoughts and responses to the haters. Snarky or otherwise. The floor is yours...
A guy from rural Missouri DID transform swampland and an orange grove. I appreciate all Disney has done throughout the years, changing people's lives, etc. The haters on this forum however are disappointed in the inept and greedy leadership of the past 15 years +/- 10 years depending on who you're talking with. Decisions in the most recent era has been less about transformation and family joy, and more about the almighty $$$$$$$ and how to squeeze as much of those out of people as possible while providing less.
This post isn't about the "value" of WDW, it is about people making nasty comments about someone's choice to go to WDW for a vacation. Personally, I think going to a sporting event is a stupid waste of money, but I don't go on fan sites and bash it, nor do I say anything to those who go other then to say, "that sounds like fun".
The original post talked about the haters. He wasn't specific on whether he meant all haters, or just those who don't roam these boards. I refuse to call us complainy types "haters". If this board was only filled with happy-go-lucky types, there would be a dire lack of interesting conversation and humor. You'd see subjects like "We all know all the rides and shows at WDW are your absolute favorite of all time, but what is your most favorite of all your favorites?" YAY!
puke.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom