What do you tell the haters?

donaldtoo

I’m 58+ years old, and to be totally honest, the harshest words regarding Disney I’ve ever run across are on Disney “fan” sites...!!!!! :hilarious:
Plenty of family, friends, co-workers, etc., know we’re Disney fans, and I can honestly say that I’ve never heard any of them, or anyone else in my daily life that I’ve ever interacted with before for that matter, express anything that could be construed as “hatred/hateful” regarding anything about Disney, or anything they’ve ever done...so far anyway, it just hasn’t happened... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I usually get, "why are you going again?" And I tell them "because I can". Then most people say that they wish they could go and joke about me taking them with me. I find that most people are just a bit jealous and so it comes out as "why are you going again, you just went a few months ago" type of thing.

LvnDisney

Haven't run into any "haters", but if I did, I wouldn't worry about it. Life is too short to spend any of it worrying about whether other people approve of how I choose to vacation.

Goofyernmost

I usually get, "why are you going again?" And I tell them "because I can". Then most people say that they wish they could go and joke about me taking them with me. I find that most people are just a bit jealous and so it comes out as "why are you going again, you just went a few months ago" type of thing.
That one I have heard, especially back about 20 years ago. My response was... I like it there, where do you go every year? Almost everyone has a place that they go to more often than others. When they tell me their favorite destination I just say... "why are you going there again". That usually ends the inquiry for the distant future.

DfromATX

In my experience, most people don't say anything, but I do get a few comments from my mom and brother. What's funny is he LOVES Star Wars and my mom LOVES Elvis. He's seen Star Wars a thousand times and my mom has gone to Graceland many times, so I don't know why they pester me about Disney. What's funny is now that Galaxy's Edge has opened and he has a 10 year old son who also loves Star Wars, he asked me if I would consider taking my nephew so he could see it. (Of course I said "heck yeah!") Adding: since our kids are grown I would love to take him so I could see it through a child's eyes again.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Here's what you tell the haters:
200.gif

mergatroid

That one I have heard, especially back about 20 years ago. My response was... I like it there, where do you go every year? Almost everyone has a place that they go to more often than others. When they tell me their favorite destination I just say... "why are you going there again". That usually ends the inquiry for the distant future.

Agreed. Have a colleague that goes to Spain every year to the same hotel ask me why I go to Orlando and Disney every year. I asked him why he does what he does and he got my point. When there he goes to the same cafe for his meals every day as it serves English food and is owned by an English couple. He drinks at the same bar every night that serves English beer and is owned by another English couple. He spends as much time as he can drinking in the bar and he hates the sun so stays indoors. I'm not sure why he doesn't just stay in England to do those 'English things' and save time and money if I'm being completely honest and yet he's the one questioning me :D :banghead:

AFoodie

No doubt, from time to time all of us encounter Disney haters who disparage the parks we love, who take shots at the "happiest place on earth," who look down on all things Disney.

I'm curious, what do you say in response?

Yes, we all know WDW isn't perfect (nothing is) and there are plenty of complaint threads in this forum that speak to the negative side of the Mouse. But the fact remains, a guy from rural Missouri took an orange grove in California and swampland in Florida and created something transcendent. Truly magical.

Would love to hear your thoughts and responses to the haters. Snarky or otherwise. The floor is yours...
Yeah, sorry to be one of the Disney Nerds, but The Happiest Place on Earth is Disneyland in Cali. WDW in Orlando is The Most Magical Place on Earth.
But to answer your original comment, haters by definition hate. They’re playing their roles correctly. Tell them to do them & you do you.

Touchdown

Some think that moving to a state with no snow, no state income tax , lower cost of living, short drive to the ocean, slower pace of life compared to the rat race where they came from is happy and magical.
Happiest Place on Earth (TM)-Disneyland
Most Magical Place on Earth (TM)-WDW

spock8113

I'm not a hater, just someone with an opinion that isn't always pro-Disney.
Personally, I've had enough of "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality. There is sensible middle ground with justified criticism.
I love Disney as you can tell by my visit dates below and I've seen first-hand the metamorphosis over decades, but they do have shortcomings and IMHO, those shortcomings have grown over the last few years.

jaklgreen

I'm not a hater, just someone with an opinion that isn't always pro-Disney.
Personally, I've had enough of "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality. There is sensible middle ground with justified criticism.
I love Disney as you can tell by my visit dates below and I've seen first-hand the metamorphosis over decades, but they do have shortcomings and IMHO, those shortcomings have grown over the last few years.

This post isn't about the "value" of WDW, it is about people making nasty comments about someone's choice to go to WDW for a vacation. Personally, I think going to a sporting event is a stupid waste of money, but I don't go on fan sites and bash it, nor do I say anything to those who go other then to say, "that sounds like fun".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom