What do you do when you ruined your own Disney Proposal?

stitchsMom

Original Poster
I wrecked my surprise proposal :cry: Well not all by myself. It was a joint venture. My boyfriend and I had a fight, I said things I didn't mean because I was so hurt by him, and he told me he was going to propose when we were at WDW this June. We have since made amends... but I don't get my proposal, well at least not there, because he wanted to surprise me.

I don't know how to fix this. Every day I have been reading engagement posts on this board, secretly wishing that I would have that too. Every time I took time out to plan for our upcoming trip I would daydream about a proposal at the one place in the world I love the most.

Now... well now I don't even want to go on this trip. I know I have to... but I don't think I can walk into the MK. He apparently planned to propose in front of the castle. I don't know what the plans were really, other than the place and that his mom was involved somehow... All I want to do is fix it, so that he will still follow through with his original plan.:cry: Needed to get this out, as I can't talk to anyone about it....

DisneyChik17

I no! I cannot even beging to imagine how upset you are! But, honestly, having it "ruined," then him saying he's not going to do it seems like a good set up for a surprise. But, that's just me and how I t hink about things.

Best of luck in getting it though! Maybe it'll be even better on the 2nd plan.

wdwCC

That sucks! Since his mom was involved, maybe she will convince him to purpose as planned. Remember, being purposed to is going to fabulous even if it's not at Disney. Good luck.

DizneyPryncess

Well, I can almost totally relate to you on this one! My husband had planned on proposing to me in Disney, but a few months before the trip, I decided I needed to be single. I didn't know he was planning on proposing. We ended up getting back together before the trip, but he didn't propose. I was kind of waiting for it - and it just didn't happen.

He ended up proposing 4 months later in Bermuda, which was just as magical. We did another Disney trip shortly after, as a "celebration of our engagement" trip - and it was wonderful too!

So here's my advice. First of all, you don't know for sure that he isn't going to propose. He told you he was planning on proposing, and now that it isn't a surprise, he said he's not going to do it. However he might just be saying that so it'll throw you off and still be a surprise. If he doesn't do it, then think of it this way - he just wants it to be a surprise for you. You should still enjoy your trip! However he ends up proposing to you - Disney or not - will be wonderful.

If it's not Disney, then consider doing what we did and take a celebration trip - or honeymoon there! There's other ways to keep Disney a special part of your relationship. :) Good luck, and I hope it turns out for the best!

gspin2k1

You know I am hoping that I can propose to my gf at WDW, but it doesn't help that she keeps saying "you should propose to me at WDW" all the time either...do you NOT want to be surprised??! lol

stitchsMom

Original Poster
You know I am hoping that I can propose to my gf at WDW, but it doesn't help that she keeps saying "you should propose to me at WDW" all the time either...do you NOT want to be surprised??! lol
lol! needed that laugh!

Thanks to all. It is soooo hard to not have anyone to talk to about this because no one else knew outside of his family... ah... I am going to hope for the best, hope that he will still go through with it. I wouldn't turn him down even if he did what one of his best friends did (throw the ring at his girlfriend in the middle of PF Chang's because the grandma had spilled the beans to her on the phone as they were there!).... yes, even then I would take him :) I just wish... And perhaps those of you who suggested he is just trying to throw me off... that would be great! (crossing fingers and toes)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If it were me... I'd make her think I was waiting, then do it anyway.

Especially if I knew she was a Disney fan.

Nansafan

Our proposal was not planned for a WDW proposal but I non-the-less ruined my husband's proposal plans and he was forced to improvise. I will not bore with the details as I have posted this story before on this forum. To make the story short, he gave me the engagement ring as we were driving 65 MPH on the Kennedy Expressway driving into Chicago just about at the Harlem Avenue exit ramp. We'll be married 25 years in September and I still have not actually been "asked". He asked "what did you do today?" I replied then asked him "why, what did you do today?" His reply, "I went downtown and picked something up." Then he handed me the ring box. When he asks it will be wonderful. Saying I got engaged on the Kennedy Expressway make for a great story.

kstella

I may be wrong here, but I don't think the problem is getting married. The problem is the romantic fairytale proposal.

But what difference does it make who does the asking? It can be just as romantic if she asks rather then him asking. If she knows he was going to ask anyway but is reluctant to now because of the argument, what better way to prove her true feelings than being the one to pop the question?

stitchsMom

Original Poster
I jokingly suggested that perhaps I would propose to him while were are at WDW and the look I got :mad:.... yeeeahhh. I don't think that will work! I am just going to have to play it :cool: and hope that I get my dream proposal... but if he chooses to ask another way/place/time he knows I will still take him :)

gspin2k1

My biggest fear would be if you planned out an awesome romantic proposal and someone else proposed right near the spot you were planning to do it right before you...then you gotta go to Plan B and hope the magic hasn't been taken away already.

~G

brich

There's a lesson learned here. Never say something you don't mean to a loved one...ever. :(

Having said that, I made my poor wife wait 9 years before I proposed to her. I did propose at Disney and yes it was a surprise. Not so much surprised that we would one day get married, but surprised because she had no clue it would happen on our trip. Those were 9 great years together where we had a chance to get to know each other as good as two people could.

And now 12 years of marriage, 3 great kids and still many trips to Disney later, we still have a great relationship. Relationships are a learning experience. If your not willing to work at it, be patient and understanding then it could be a long journey.

My point? Work on making your relationship stronger and stop worrying about when you'll be proposed to. If it takes a while, so be it. Ok, so maybe not 9 years but...:p So long as you guys dig each other and continue to grow together, what difference does it make? And then one day, out of the blue where getting engaged is no longer in the forefront of your mind, it will happen and all the Magic will be restored.

I don't know how old you guys are or how long you've been together but I totally believe you should mend and get back to being the couple you were. Time teaches and time heals. If you guys are having fights that escalate to this point, you may just need a little time. All good things come to those who wait... Good Luck and have a blast on your trip~!!:)

cinderellafan6

Even if you were going to prosose to him instead of him asking you, I would weight because what if he was planning on proposing the last day and you asked him before, that would kind of be a big mess.

smphilliesphan

Simular story!

Hello, here's my story on my failed engagement plans.
I would have loved to do it in Disney but it was economically impossible. So being the hopeless romantic that I am I wanted to surprise her the best way possible and the most romantic way possible. To celebrate our 2 year anniversary in NYC we planned to go ice skating since I've never been. What best place to go for the first time than Rockafeller Center? So I called up to set up their engagement package, includes a video presentation of it on brides.com, flowers, package from Vera Wang (and what girl doesn't like vera wang?) plus that special ring. I rented a Limo for the ride home (Shes never been in one before) with flowers and champagne. Well... that didn't happen, she was questioning the relationship and everything that came with it and she knew that I might be plannign on something soon, so she told me not to do anything till she graduated college (she was a senior). So I had to call and cancel. Kept the Limo (for our 2 year anniv.)
I know what it feels like, trust me, to have plans change. It sucks, both people feel awful. I thought, how could I top that engagement, theres no way... VERA WANG!?!.
Well, I think that trying to top a previous thought makes the next time that more special, because you want to top that, or come as close to a best next thing.
In march we took a trip down to FL (not disney) to see Phillies in spring training, went to Honeymoon Island to relax on the beach, and as Dolphins swam by, my sister wrote in the sand before "Maddy Will You Marry Me? So as we watched the dolphins swim by, and the sun was setting I got down on my knee and asked!
Who could have planned a school of dolphins, a sunset, warm beach, teh sand and ocean? Not VERA WANG haha. So, when you get engaged I promise you'll be surprised and it will be just as good if not better than what he had. Hopefully my story makes you feel better. If you want to e-mail me my address is miller.scott83@gmail.com

Good Luck, and have fun at Disney I'll be there in December 10 for my HONEYMOON@!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom