• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

What Do "Average Guests" Think About Each Park?

eliza61nyc

The couple is too lazy to do their homework before going to Disney. What makes you think that they'll have the drive to go to a message board, make a username, and write out coherent paragraphs? If they were that kind of person, they would have researched and learned about WDW first.
Oh that's easy, people will more often criticize and complain then they would compliment. Now they may not sign up for a fan based site like this but I 100% believe they would get on tripadvisor or yelp and scream bloody murder.

Next who says all complaints are written on fan boards, word of mouth, facebook and twitter are massive. lol heck, twitter is now the politicians complaint board of choice.

Heck you see it here, people will post all the day what they hate about Disneyworld and when you question them on it, such as why they continue to go, they will say "oh but we had a great time"!! REALLY?? when? what part?. lol, you never hear them compliment or post a trip report but they'll complain all the live long day.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Advertisement
We're getting more thrills. I don't need to prove my point about what the overall demographics want. You'll see it yourself as years go on. Guardians, Ratatouille, Tron, Runaway Railway, Flight of Passage, and Star Wars
For this discussion a thrill attraction uses restraints and posts a minimum height requirement, no?

Rat is not a thrill ride; it is very much like a Hunny Hunt or a Mystic Manor.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Heck you see it here, people will post all the day what they hate about Disneyworld and when you question them on it, such as why they continue to go, they will say "oh but we had a great time"!! REALLY?? when? what part?.
I see people complaining about things or pointing out problems or things that could be better. But I don't see all this hate that's is talked about. There is a big difference between criticizing something and hating it. Open discussion on a discussion forum, is a good thing. Not everything at Disney world is sunshine and roses and just because someone points that out doesn't mean they hate Disney. I have my fair share of complaints to lob at Disney over the years. But I can still go and have a good time but because I had fun I shouldn't talk about what I feel could be better?

Demarke

I'd say I was at least close to qualifying as an "average guest" when I went in late January/early February 2016. Previously I had been on a family trip in early 1989 and as part of middle/high school trips in 1994 and 1996 (but was too focused on trying to be "cool" to really get into those two). I was apathetic at best about going as an adult and simply agreed to go in 2016 because a girl I was dating wanted to go. From what I remember, my impressions were roughly:

MK: "I forgot how awesome this place is, I can't believe I let it go twenty years without riding Space Mountain!! I never noticed the attention to detail and immersion this place has before. I have just obtained a whole new appreciation for Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Pan, and many others."

Epcot: "What the hell happened to FutureWorld? So many empty and half empty buildings, it's like a mall that's going out of business and they've slapped some characters meetings to fill space and keep the customers from noticing there's so much less content. World Showcase is awesome as an adult, I love Soarin, what happened to Imagination and Seas, Test Track's pretty fun, Mission:Space is okay, but I miss that ride I could select the ending."

HS (2nd visit ever): "I can't believe I was too scared to ride Tower of Terror in the 90's! RnR was awesome! Indy's still got it! What happened to the tour thing where you could see the Golden Girls house and Flight of the Navigator ship? I thought this was supposed to be a "studio"? Glad I didn't schedule full day here even though we didn't get a chance to make it on Great Movie Ride, but I'll just hit that up if I come back in another year or two..."

AK (first time visit): "This place is awesome, really well done from the safari to Everest, to Dinosaur, the shows, walking trails, and everything else. Primeval Whirl seems a little odd to see at a Disney park instead of a state fair, though. I'm a little skeptical about what the cast members were saying about Avatar since I wasn't that into the movie, sounds lame, but we'll see if anyone actually wants to go to that part in another year or two when it's open..."

By the end of 2017, I was itching enough to go back that I bought an annual pass and started planning another trip, and went back March 2018, August 2018, and will be back again this Saturday to start another 5 day trip!

Last edited:

iHeartDisneylandCats

Proud Member Since 2016
Original Poster
I have actually met several people who have gone to WDW with zero planning. It is crazy, I know. One couple was sitting across from us on the plane and they pulled out the Birnbaum book and so I said something to them. On the plane was their first time opening the book they said! They asked me for tips. I asked them what they knew about WDW, and it was pretty much nothing. They had no idea about the 4 parks, just thought it was MK. They had no idea about the size of it. They were staying off site and thought that they could just walk to MK because the hotel said it was "main gate". Oi vey
Looks like you found Katiebug!

Trackmaster

Oh that's easy, people will more often criticize and complain then they would compliment. Now they may not sign up for a fan based site like this but I 100% believe they would get on tripadvisor or yelp and scream bloody murder.

Next who says all complaints are written on fan boards, word of mouth, facebook and twitter are massive. lol heck, twitter is now the politicians complaint board of choice.

Heck you see it here, people will post all the day what they hate about Disneyworld and when you question them on it, such as why they continue to go, they will say "oh but we had a great time"!! REALLY?? when? what part?. lol, you never hear them compliment or post a trip report but they'll complain all the live long day.
The kind of person who takes the time to write that kind of stuff is still not the average person. I bet less than 20% of the people that go to a park like that will ever write anything online about the park. If 26M a year go to MK, if everyone wrote detailed write-ups of the park, the internet would be broken. Clearly there aren't millions of Yelp reviews of MK.

aliceismad

The kind of person who takes the time to write that kind of stuff is still not the average person. I bet less than 20% of the people that go to a park like that will ever write anything online about the park. If 26M a year go to MK, if everyone wrote detailed write-ups of the park, the internet would be broken. Clearly there aren't millions of Yelp reviews of MK.
There are less than 64,000 reviews of MK on TripAdvisor. There are certainly some complaints (e.g., people from Australia angry that Disney did not personally inform them that FP+ should be booked 30 days out). But overall MK has 4.5 stars. Would you consider TA an accurate crosssection of WDW guests? There seem to be a lot fewer WDW frequenters than on a board like this.

Trackmaster

There are less than 64,000 reviews of MK on TripAdvisor. There are certainly some complaints (e.g., people from Australia angry that Disney did not personally inform them that FP+ should be booked 30 days out). But overall MK has 4.5 stars. Would you consider TA an accurate crosssection of WDW guests? There seem to be a lot fewer WDW frequenters than on a board like this.
So that's less than 1/1000 of the people who have been to Disney in the last several years. Clearly you can't say that "everybody who goes somewhere has to post a review about it." But 64,000 is actually an incredibly high amount compared to the volume that most establishments give.

Tom P.

That doesn't mean that those awful lot of folks are not disappointed or they don't do but just a couple of attractions while they're there. Also, I can guarantee you that a HUGE chunk of their business comes from Disney College Program students. Which we literally DO go to the parks almost every day we have off (or Universal) to just ride the ones we want to get on.

And again -- You've got 4 thrills. Want to know why they reach over an hour of wait time? Because they aren't other thrills. The problem? If they add MORE thrills, MORE people will come, so that won't make much of a difference as far as wait times go. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of that. Slinky Dog is, too. And so will Star Wars, Guardians, and Tron.
A few points:

1. The business generated for Disney by the college program is insignificant. Magic Kingdom, as I mentioned, has over 20 million visitors per year alone. They hire approximately 7,000 college program participants each year. Yes, college program participants may go to the park a lot, but 7,000 people are not having any statistical influence on an attendance figure of 20+ million.

2. I think defining Slinky Dog or even Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as "thrill rides" is not particularly accurate when compared to what other, non-Disney parks are describing as thrill rides. Yes, they are types of coasters. But very mild, "family" coasters. I don't think the college students going to Six Flags to ride the coasters are coming to Disney looking to get an adrenaline rush from Slinky Dog Dash.

3. At the moment, on a "slow day" in January, according to the My Disney Experience app, there is a 50 minute wait for an Anna and Else meet-and-greet. There is a 45 minute wait for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. There is a 90 minute wait to meet Mickey and Minnie. There is a 50 minute wait for Frozen Ever After. Long wait times are not a function of people wanting more thrill rides. They are a function of very large crowds and not enough attractions in general, plus other ancillary factors such as the impact of FastPass+ on standby wait times.

To reiterate: Magic Kingdom is not just busy. It is not just popular. It is literally the single most popular theme park on the planet. And it has been so consistently for well over a decade. You don't get to be the most popular by disappointing an "awful lot" of your guests or not providing the experiences your guests are looking for.

larryz

Well-Worn Member
Premium Member
To reiterate: Magic Kingdom is not just busy. It is not just popular. It is literally the single most popular theme park on the planet. And it has been so consistently for well over a decade. You don't get to be the most popular by disappointing an "awful lot" of your guests or not providing the experiences your guests are looking for.
They're just ignorant tourists. What do they know?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
A few points:

1. The business generated for Disney by the college program is insignificant. Magic Kingdom, as I mentioned, has over 20 million visitors per year alone. They hire approximately 7,000 college program participants each year. Yes, college program participants may go to the park a lot, but 7,000 people are not having any statistical influence on an attendance figure of 20+ million.

2. I think defining Slinky Dog or even Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as "thrill rides" is not particularly accurate when compared to what other, non-Disney parks are describing as thrill rides. Yes, they are types of coasters. But very mild, "family" coasters. I don't think the college students going to Six Flags to ride the coasters are coming to Disney looking to get an adrenaline rush from Slinky Dog Dash.

3. At the moment, on a "slow day" in January, according to the My Disney Experience app, there is a 50 minute wait for an Anna and Else meet-and-greet. There is a 45 minute wait for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. There is a 90 minute wait to meet Mickey and Minnie. There is a 50 minute wait for Frozen Ever After. Long wait times are not a function of people wanting more thrill rides. They are a function of very large crowds and not enough attractions in general, plus other ancillary factors such as the impact of FastPass+ on standby wait times.

Like I said, I don't have to prove myself. The evidence will be brought in the more new attractions WDW gets in. It's already evident what group they're trying to target with the upcoming attractions right now. But hey, you keep doing what you do. I'll be laughing every time a new thread on these forums starts complaining about the next "OMG another one of these?" and "Wow I can't believe they're replacing THAT with THIS!"...

WondersOfLife

For this discussion a thrill attraction uses restraints and posts a minimum height requirement, no?

Rat is not a thrill ride; it is very much like a Hunny Hunt or a Mystic Manor.
Nowadays, people consider things like Soarin' and Frozen a "thrill" even though they're laidback experiences. But also, my argument was for thrills and actual rides in general. (Looking at HS and Epcot as a main point) You can choose to read what I actually typed out, or you can pick and choose what you want to see. That's fine. Can't stop you.

As for rat, never done it. But it looks more thrilling than say, Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth. (As much as i love them.)

WondersOfLife

This is sad to hear, not because there are so many shows and less "thrill" rides. But because of the amount of people who do not do their due diligence BEFORE they arrive at WDW.
I agree.

Much like my arguments in the Impressions de France thread a while back, I'm going to clarify that I love almost everything at Disney from Living with the Land to Flight of Passage. But I'm also not turning a blind eye just because the community on these forums believe that classic Disney appeals to the majority as well, when in reality, if it did appeal to the majority, people wouldn't walk out of shows like Carousel of Progress or Tiki Room. If Tiki Room wasn't boring, Disney would have never attempted Under New Management. (With a central theme around the original show being boring. They had to have gotten that info from numerous AVERAGE GUEST REVIEWS to come up with that idea. You didn't see them coming up with IP integrations for things like Thunder Mountain or Haunted Mansion though.)

WondersOfLife

Please don't do that. Are you really telling us with a straight face Frozen is bona-fide, conspicuous thrill ride? For real?
No. I'm saying Epcot's lack of thrills results in Frozen being considered something as close as average park guests can get to a thrill.

Tom P.

Like I said, I don't have to prove myself. The evidence will be brought in the more new attractions WDW gets in. It's already evident what group they're trying to target with the upcoming attractions right now. But hey, you keep doing what you do. I'll be laughing every time a new thread on these forums starts complaining about the next "OMG another one of these?" and "Wow I can't believe they're replacing THAT with THIS!"...
Okey dokey then.

Demarke

You can tell how important pure thrill rides and screens are by just looking at how crowded Sea World is! They have great rollercoasters with low waits and a penguin screen ride basically like the Rat ride and a cheaper gate price!

The thing is, a couple of thrill rides can be great, a ton of people want to do them and spend the rest of the day doing (fill in the blank). Whether you fill that blank with dark rides, or shows, or dining experiences, or meet and greets, practically everyone has some other aspect they like just as much or more as the thrill rides. I might plan my day around getting on mine train out of necessity, but there are probably 10+ other attractions in MK I would favor over it if one had to go. If the park focuses too much on the lowest common denominator it loses its strength and becomes just another Six Flags. Just because a few Six Flags fan types walk out of shows occasionally does not mean that Disney needs to emulate the competitors they’ve been crushing for decades by being different.

Mine Train is fun, but I can get a thrill 300 miles closer to my house, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Small World, CoP, Pan, Tiki, and others are what keep me coming back. That list is I’m sure different guest to guest, but while thrills aren’t bad, the reason Disney has like 9 of the top 10 parks worldwide in attendance is because people are more coming for the theming and immersion of the Disney experience.

iHeartDisneylandCats

Proud Member Since 2016
Original Poster
I agree.

Much like my arguments in the Impressions de France thread a while back, I'm going to clarify that I love almost everything at Disney from Living with the Land to Flight of Passage. But I'm also not turning a blind eye just because the community on these forums believe that classic Disney appeals to the majority as well, when in reality, if it did appeal to the majority, people wouldn't walk out of shows like Carousel of Progress or Tiki Room. If Tiki Room wasn't boring, Disney would have never attempted Under New Management. (With a central theme around the original show being boring. They had to have gotten that info from numerous AVERAGE GUEST REVIEWS to come up with that idea. You didn't see them coming up with IP integrations for things like Thunder Mountain or Haunted Mansion though.)
I was aware that people walk out of CoP, but Tiki Room?! Some people have very poor taste and short attention spans. :(

Trackmaster

To add to the discussion:

• People highly prioritize theming, visuals, audio, and story. But those are the parts of the ride that are hardest to pull off and most expensive. Six Flags and Cedar Fair would love to have better theming, but they don't have the money for it, and they're trying to keep the gate prices and season pass prices down to not price themselves out of their market.
  • People also prioritize the Monsters of the Midway -- but theming is also icing on the cake for them ("Roller coasters" if you guys didn't get the nickname). They're always going to be the premier attractions at the amusement parks, but even at Disney the coasters (except for Barnstormer that's a small kiddie coaster) every single coaster is a tough FP+ to get. The only non-coaster ride that even competes with them is Flight of Passage. Don't send a non-coaster in to do a coaster's job.
  • While the Disney rides are great, I think that Disney's brand is what pulls people in. There are great rides at other parks that don't pull people in. Its all about marketing and branding.
  • To add onto that, Disney has the best IP's in the world, and they keep growing. If they really wanted to lap the competition, they'd start really getting aggressive with the MCU.
  • I think I may have mentioned the "forced perspective" and slight of hand that Disney does before. The moderate rides ARE thrilling when you've been riding little rides all day. When you are a mine train, and all of the sudden drop in the dark and go into the helices, that's thrilling, despite the fact that you may consider it to be nothing after a day of riding 200'+ coasters all day.

larryz

Well-Worn Member
Premium Member
  • While the Disney rides are great, I think that Disney's brand is what pulls people in. There are great rides at other parks that don't pull people in. Its all about marketing and branding.
Still, the average in the non-Disney amusement parks is longer coaster rides (2 - 3 minutes), while Disney seems to think riders will be content with a 1 minute ride wedged into 15-30 minutes of pre- and post-shows... With all the money they have, I'd like to see Disney approach a 5-minute launch-to-brake coaster experience!

Top Bottom