deleted

Trackmaster

I would think many people who love Cedar Point are thrill seekers, and Disney is not a thrill park. I would assume there's some disappointment if someone is looking for Top Thrill Dragster-type rides at Disney. There are definitely reasons Universal markets itself as a big kid/adult version of Disney.

I think that Disney uses some forced perspective though. Even though you may go the day at an amusement park riding big coasters and rides, when you've been riding so many boat rides and slow dark rides, all of the sudden, a 40 MPH mine train drop in the dark seems like a major rush.

Plus, once you've seen Disney theming, all of the amusement park "theming" (XYZ: the ride with a few cartoon posters in line) seems pretty pathetic. That's Universal's problem: pathetic story/themed rides with few very outdoor thrill attractions.

erasure fan1

i wonder why some people keep visiting with some of the negativity on forums.
maybe because they dont feel confident in real life? to look tough on the internet? or to look more intellectual.
some posters on here are just simply bored.

its the most magical place in the world. why focus on negatives.

good post joe, thumbs up
First, I think this is way off the mark. A lot of people "complain" because they want better for the brand they love. You don't tell your kids to study harder or keep your room cleaner... because you hate them, you do it because you want them to do better because you love them. It's not really fair to call out people pointing out the negative when a lot of it is justified. I've said it many times before, I hold Disney to a higher standard because that's the standard they set for themselves. You could say, why do people believe Disney can do no wrong? Are they just elitist snobs that money is no object? Are they bored and just want everyone to know how much better than everyone else they are? And don't forget, this is a discussion forum, not a swoon all over Disney forum.

Trackmaster

First, I think this is way off the mark. A lot of people "complain" because they want better for the brand they love. You don't tell your kids to study harder or keep your room cleaner... because you hate them, you do it because you want them to do better because you love them. It's not really fair to call out people pointing out the negative when a lot of it is justified. I've said it many times before, I hold Disney to a higher standard because that's the standard they set for themselves. You could say, why do people believe Disney can do no wrong? Are they just elitist snobs that money is no object? Are they bored and just want everyone to know how much better than everyone else they are? And don't forget, this is a discussion forum, not a swoon all over Disney forum.

Yeah... people like NickPytlinski are pretty annoying. Its awesome to love something and enjoy what a park has to offer, but its lame to think that nobody is allowed to criticism it. I especially think its cool when people can come in with really good ideas that the park hasn't thought of yet. Its all in good fun, its just a message board.

Granted, one of the limitations that we have from our perspective is that we just want a great experience for ourselves and our families. Sometimes, what we want doesn't jive with the park's main goal: earning as much money as possible. Basically as consumers, if the park gets better, we might price ourselves out. If the experience gets cheaper, it might not be as fun. Its all a balancing act.

Gomer

I don't know how indicative this is of all average guests. But I've noticed over the last year or two, all first-time or casual visitors I've talked to came back listing DHS as their favorite Disney park. Usually because they are telling me they had to call an audible on the advised schedule I gave them which says you can do DHS in a day due to all the closures and don't need repeat visits.

I had someone with two young boys (under 10) cancel 2 MK days so they could go to DHS 3 times and MK only once. I don't get it, but it's what I've seen.

Trackmaster

I don't know how indicative this is of all average guests. But I've noticed over the last year or two, all first-time or casual visitors I've talked to came back listing DHS as their favorite Disney park. Usually because they are telling me they had to call an audible on the advised schedule I gave them which says you can do DHS in a day due to all the closures and don't need repeat visits.

I had someone with two young boys (under 10) cancel 2 MK days so they could go to DHS 3 times and MK only once. I don't get it, but it's what I've seen.

Might sound crazy, but I could kind of see it:

MK: So crowded, have to take a tram AND a ferry just to get there. More kid friendly than adult friendly. I could see it not being for everyone.
EPCOT: Very few rides in the park. If there isn't a festival going on, I could see many average guests not "getting" it.

So for a lot of people that just want traditional amusement parks without the planning and hassle of MK, or the slowness and acquired taste of ECPOT going for the middle ground of AK or DHS.

bhg469

Average guest: "I don't mind visiting Walt Disney World once, but why on earth do all these people keep coming back over and over??? It's expensive, crowded, old, and hotter than blazes!"
Can also be said about sane people who can remain objective.

erasure fan1

I've never understood how people don't realize what "3:00 parade" means. I can understand people asking what time the parade is, but when they include "3:00" in their question, that is a bit odd.
Work retail for a couple weeks and it will all become crystal clear. Common sense died many many years ago unfortunately. One of our last trips we heard people asking where the Harry Potter area is.

bhg469

I've never understood how people don't realize what "3:00 parade" means. I can understand people asking what time the parade is, but when they include "3:00" in their question, that is a bit odd.

How on Earth do people not realize that the castle is in Magic Kingdom? :banghead::hilarious:
I always thought that it meant that people were expecting it at 3 but it may be well after that if you're at the other end of the park right?

Damon7777

That's Universal's problem: pathetic story/themed rides with few very outdoor thrill attractions.

Pathetic story and themes?!?!
Any chance you can elaborate a bit on that?

And very few outdoor thrill attractions? Do you know about: Dr Doom, Hulk, Storm Force, Dudley, Bluto, River Adventure, the recently removed Dragon Challenge/Dueling but soon to open forest Hagrid coaster, Rip Rocket. And another bona-fide fully themed out raptor coaster coming aound.
Furthermore why is outdoor important to you enough to call Universal out on it? Indoor attractions are way better positioned anyway.

SirWillow

I always thought that it meant that people were expecting it at 3 but it may be well after that if you're at the other end of the park right?

you'd like to think that, but no, that's not what they mean. Last visit I had a friend who thought and hoped like you did, until he saw some guests ask a cast member while we were waiting and realized they really didn't have a clue what they were asking. Apparently there are a lot of them that think the name of the parade is "The 3 O'clock parade". Which must have really messed with them when they were doing it at 2pm for a while in the fall. :)

I don't want to spam links to my videos, but seriously, look them up on YouTube. I'm not the only one that makes them, but I promise you ever question and comment in my videos are ones I've heard or been asked, and most of them multiple times.

Trackmaster

Pathetic story and themes?!?!
Any chance you can elaborate a bit on that?

And very few outdoor thrill attractions? Do you know about: Dr Doom, Hulk, Storm Force, Dudley, Bluto, River Adventure, the recently removed Dragon Challenge/Dueling but soon to open forest Hagrid coaster, Rip Rocket. And another bona-fide fully themed out raptor coaster coming aound.
Furthermore why is outdoor important to you enough to call Universal out on it? Indoor attractions are way better positioned anyway.

I'm generally OK with the opening day IOA attractions. For some reason, other than Spiderman they were all pretty good. The Mummy is great as well. Pretty much every ride since the Mummy has just been a conveyor belt to move you from video screen to video screen, if not a ride that is just a movie and nothing else. I just think that Universal wants us to some day realize a complete Wall-E existence. We're all sitting on tracks watching video screens that the robot overlords are feeding to us.

NickPytlinski

the negatives they bring up are to be expected at any amusement park that is worth visiting.
long queues (Disney has a fast pass option) children running about.
To be honest 'some' of the ones bringing up the negatives dont want it to be discussed, its a statement from them and then complain on here when somebody has a different opinion.
kinda funny really.
its not really that far off the mark

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I've taken first timers who have absolutely loved Walt Disney World, and first timers who have had a miserable time.

I've got to say though... By being observant, you can plainly see that the majority of folks at WDW spend most of their time complaining. Especially at Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Since I became a cast member, I've been spending SOOO much time at WDW. You would not BELIEVE the amount of times I've heard people ask "Is this a ride?" followed by us stating "No, this is a show." Then the guests talking smack and leaving. Most guests want thrills and rides.

The actual college program participants? They spend most of their time at Universal Studios because they don't have to 1). Wait in lines, and 2). Their attractions are actually rides and thrills.

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are the popular parks right now, because they have rides. There are honestly more young adults at WDW than there are literally any other demographic, from what I've been seeing. I also don't need to prove myself on this one. Just login to MDE on a busy day and see which attractions have the longest wait times. Those attractions will be for those appealing to young adults/somewhat thrilling rides. (Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Test Track, Soarin', ect.)

Tom P.

I think that Disney uses some forced perspective though. Even though you may go the day at an amusement park riding big coasters and rides, when you've been riding so many boat rides and slow dark rides, all of the sudden, a 40 MPH mine train drop in the dark seems like a major rush.

Plus, once you've seen Disney theming, all of the amusement park "theming" (XYZ: the ride with a few cartoon posters in line) seems pretty pathetic. That's Universal's problem: pathetic story/themed rides with few very outdoor thrill attractions.
I agree with this. In a way, Disney has ruined all other parks for me. We went to Dollywood last year. While it was decent and the kids have fun, all I kept thinking as I looked around was how cheap everything looked in comparison to Disney, and how they didn't seem to care at all about the atmosphere in the park.

Tom P.

I've taken first timers who have absolutely loved Walt Disney World, and first timers who have had a miserable time.

I've got to say though... By being observant, you can plainly see that the majority of folks at WDW spend most of their time complaining. Especially at Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Since I became a cast member, I've been spending SOOO much time at WDW. You would not BELIEVE the amount of times I've heard people ask "Is this a ride?" followed by us stating "No, this is a show." Then the guests talking smack and leaving. Most guests want thrills and rides.
Most guests? How many actual thrill rides are in Magic Kingdom? It had 20.45 million visitors in 2017. It was the most visited theme park in the world for the twelfth consecutive year that year too. And how about Epcot? It had 12.2 million guests in the same year.

Seems like an awful lot of folks coming to Disney when "most people" want thrills and rides.

macefamily

We live in PA and we have been to Disneyworld around 30 times; can't even remember the exact number. It never gets old. We have taken family twice; my uncle and his wife and my wife's brother and his crew. Both of them have only gone that one time. My uncle said that his wife didn't like waiting in lines so they didn't care for it. My brother in law said that his kids really weren't ride enthusiasts so they never went back. Always perplexed me, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Most guests? How many actual thrill rides are in Magic Kingdom? It had 20.45 million visitors in 2017. It was the most visited theme park in the world for the twelfth consecutive year that year too. And how about Epcot? It had 12.2 million guests in the same year.

Seems like an awful lot of folks coming to Disney when "most people" want thrills and rides.
That doesn't mean that those awful lot of folks are not disappointed or they don't do but just a couple of attractions while they're there. Also, I can guarantee you that a HUGE chunk of their business comes from Disney College Program students. Which we literally DO go to the parks almost every day we have off (or Universal) to just ride the ones we want to get on.

And again -- You've got 4 thrills. Want to know why they reach over an hour of wait time? Because they aren't other thrills. The problem? If they add MORE thrills, MORE people will come, so that won't make much of a difference as far as wait times go. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of that. Slinky Dog is, too. And so will Star Wars, Guardians, and Tron.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom