what did you think about POTC? (movie)

imagineer99

imagineer boy said:
Either way, I guess its safe to say that more people enjoyed the film than hated it judging by the box office numbers and general reactions on the internet. .

Yeah, well "Little Man" made $21 million opening weekend. Popular opinion doesn't designate quality. :lol:

imagineer boy

imagineer99 said:
Yeah, well "Little Man" made $21 million opening weekend. Popular opinion doesn't designate quality. :lol:

Well, the thing about Pirates is that its been open for a few weeks, and its still making huge numbers and breaking records. Little Man ( who on earth would want to see that trash?! ) will not make any more money after its opening weekend probably.

Rosenrot

I didn't read this entire thread, so if someone already pointed this out, excuse me for restating them. The reason for the cannibal island is when Jack tries to escape the first time and enters that tent, you notice that all of the supplies have the East India Trading Company seal on them. That island is somehow related to Beckett, and his entire company. So yes, it IS important AND relevant.

I thought the movie was excellent - seen it three times already. As I was watching it for the third time and it came to the part where they arrive at Tia Dalma's home, my friend leaned over to me and whispered, "Doesn't she remind you of Ronaldinho?" I laughed hysterically, because I can CERTAINLY see the resemblance...and now, thats all I can think of when someone mentions her. :p

3IAlienKid

Not as good or as involving as the 1st but still very entertaining.

Whereas I felt in Curse of the Black Pearl the first hour forty-five or so were brilliant and the last 30 minutes started feeling a bit too long (it could have benefitted from better fight choreography and tighter editing), I felt the opposite was true with Dead Man's Chest which dragged a bit in the first hour but built to a fantastic ending.

The beginning just kinda throws you into the film and it takes a while to get into it. Even then, the film meanders a bit, and takes a while to find it's direction. I have a feeling that reviewer Rosenrot is right in that the cannibal island is somehow related to Beckett and we have yet to see how so in the 3rd film, but since I cannot actually watch the 3rd film right now, it still feels pointless until I get more context. In other words, this scene simply does not stand alone with just the 2nd movie by itself.

On top of that, it takes a while for Depp to find his stride in this film. I may be one of the few who feel this, but for me the character is already a bit old. He was a wonderful surprise in the 1st film, but now we expect it. Also, some of his antics seemed a bit cartoony this time. It wasn't until he met up with Elizabeth that Sparrow character began to feel a bit more spontaneous again.

The last half of the film really picks up, beginning with the scenes between Will and his father. Personally, I think Orlando Bloom doesn't get enough credit for his acting, probably because he's playing the honorable (and therefore "less interesting") character. The Will/dad/Davy Jones interplay is interesting enough even when I didn't quite understand the game.

As for the CG stuff, the Davy Jones character is well played by Bill Nighy, even if I thought his voice wasn't as menacing as I thought it should be given his appearance. He has facial expressions every bit as interesting as Kong and Gollum. I personally found the CG crew to be very menacing and grotesque, so it worked well for me. And the final battle with the Kraken was spectacular.

MagicalMonorail

The movie was ok and mildly entertaining. It had some humor and good action sequences, but it was dragged out and cartoonish at some points. The plot was all over the place and difficult to understand and follow. It's not worth watching several times like the first one is, and I am a fan of the first movie. I hope the third movie gets a lot better and is more on the lines of Curse of the Black Pearl.

darthjohnny

I don't know what you people are talking about! Pirates 2 was AWESOME! :) :) :) Especially the ending! I can't wait for the DVD, it will be great. I also can't wait for the 3rd movie.

DisneyBride94

It's hard for me to post my opinion because I spent the entire movie drooling over Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, so I did'nt pay as much attention to the plot as perhaps I should have...

I find Captain Jack Sparrow to be too sexy for words. Why am I hot for a dirty, eccentric pirate with bad teeth? I have no idea... but he makes me weak in the knees... :slurp: The Will Turner character is more understandable... I can't decide which one makes me crazier... :) :hammer:

DH has to get a Captain Jack costume for halloween... :lol:

darthjohnny

My record for most times seeing a movie is 22 for Star Wars Episode 1. Yes, I liked it. :lookaroun

I loved the prequels too!:D I can't go to more than once to the movies. It is so uncomfortable now. It is hot, the picture isn't that great, and there are som many annoying little kids who go to movies they shouldn't be going to! I want to watch it at home on DVD. That will be awesome!

3IAlienKid

posted by imagineer99 in reference to POTC 2
The cannibal scene IS pointless.
posted earlier by me
I have a feeling that reviewer Rosenrot is right in that the cannibal island is somehow related to Beckett and we have yet to see how so in the 3rd film, but since I cannot actually watch the 3rd film right now, it still feels pointless until I get more context. In other words, this scene simply does not stand alone with just the 2nd movie by itself.
Well, after seeing the 3rd film, I guess the cannibal scene was pointless after all.
Which is really too bad.

Kingdom WDW

I saw it 8:00 pm opening night, to a theatere of packed people.

Was it worth it? Yea
Was it my favorite? No

I liked the second one better, but only for the last hour of the movie (i.e Kraken scene, Wheel of Death).

I just didn't like how this whole ferrying-dead-people-to-another-dimension thing was in here. COME ON DISNEY!!! IT'S A PIRATE MOVIE!!! What I would change: (Highlight it to see spoilers)

Norrington should not have been killed, along with Beckett, they could have elaborated on that much more and that could have been a key part of the fourth one.

Davy Jones and Calypso were not in the first one, thus not a major part. Their story was not a major thing that could keep these movies alive.

The death of (or lack thereof) of Will and the disappearence (sorta) of Elizabeth was a convenient way to get them out of the next movies, because you could just have a movie with Depp, Rush, and the other pirates without them.

This movie should have been kept more Piratey, with less supernatural stuff since it wasn't in the first one.

I liked the ending, because now you could just go anywhere with the storyline. (And it conveniently leaves off where it is in the POTC ride at the parks) and Sparrow+Barbossa+Fountain of Youth=One heck of a good movie.

Now, I just want the fourth one to be like the first one, but without what World Magazine calls the "Deadweights" of Bloom and Knightley.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I just didn't like how this whole ferrying-dead-people-to-another-dimension thing was in here. COME ON DISNEY!!! IT'S A PIRATE MOVIE!!! What I would change: (Highlight it to see spoilers)

So the whole thing about Brabossa and the Black Pearl in the first film had no supernatural link???? Selective memory me thinks.

Kingdom WDW

~~~Spoiler Warning~~~

The 3rd movie ended how the first began: Barboosa with the Pearl, and Jack in a litte boat and Gibbs in Tortuga.

Also, the plot could also be synonomous with th e POTC ride at WDW, where Barbossa is trying to get the treassure map (charts) from Sparrow.

Jack+Fountain of Youth= More good old-fashioned Pirate fun is coming soon!! -at least i hope....-

Sadiebird

Are they definitely doing a 4th movie? I thought it was just 3.

I saw it last night and loved it. My favorite part was when the screen went to black and you could hear the audio from the POTC ride.

I also thought the "special guest" was a really fun addition. :)

darthjohnny

I saw it 8:00 pm opening night, to a theatere of packed people.

Was it worth it? Yea
Was it my favorite? No

I liked the second one better, but only for the last hour of the movie (i.e Kraken scene, Wheel of Death).

The death of (or lack thereof) of Will and the disappearence (sorta) of Elizabeth was a convenient way to get them out of the next movies, because you could just have a movie with Depp, Rush, and the other pirates without them.

This movie should have been kept more Piratey, with less supernatural stuff since it wasn't in the first one.

I liked the ending, because now you could just go anywhere with the storyline. (And it conveniently leaves off where it is in the POTC ride at the parks) and Sparrow+Barbossa+Fountain of Youth=One heck of a good movie.

Now, I just want the fourth one to be like the first one, but without what World Magazine calls the "Deadweights" of Bloom and Knightley.

I think Will and Elizabeth were always an important part of the story. They were some of the first characters introduced in the first PotC film (way before Jack Sparrow).

I'm not sure how it would be with just the normal pirate characters (Depp, Rush, etc....)

I think they can simply bring back Will by somehow removing the curse in the 4th film. And bring back Keira.

I don't think they are "deadweights." Plus, if you didn't have Keira Knightley, what would the guys have to look at?

I think they could progress the story. Though I didn't get to see it, I heard that in the final scene, the movie implies that Will and Elizabeth had a child. I don't know how a fourth film could conflict with that.

Are they definitely doing a 4th movie? I thought it was just 3.

I saw it last night and loved it. My favorite part was when the screen went to black and you could hear the audio from the POTC ride.

I also thought the "special guest" was a really fun addition. :)

I thought the movie was awesome too. I hope they do make a fourth film, with all the same characters.

I was thinking, now that Will is in the position that he is in, he could easily bring back Norrington and/or Governor Swann back from the other side.

With the fourth movie, they can reference a lot of new things (like the two skeletons playing chess in WDW or the new Pirate's Lair at Disneyland.) I soooooo hope they make another one!
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom