What characters do behind the scenes

Disneydreaming

As with any article or news report, most journalists, in my opinion, are biased and will only use information that supports their point of view. I take it all with a grain of salt, so to speak.

And I say so what about a CM's off time. Thats their business.

Linda

EchoOfOphelia

Oh my! :eek:

I um.. I thought college was bad.

Anyway, even if this is true, these Minnie's and Pluto's and such are people. Very frustrated and over-heated people. I can't imagine being cheery and expressing myself through head bobs for hours on end. While I do not approve of the drug use, I have absolutely no problem with alcohol... as long as its after their shift ends.. and a designated drive home... and are of age.. :animwink:

WDWKat26

Well it definitely offended me. I don't even know where to start.

First off, that is the most one sided article I have ever read. I think that some people forget that most of the Cast Members are *shockingly* Teenagers and young adults. You put them in an apartment (e.x. Vista Way) with no supervision other than the security guards at the front gate, what do you think they do? Sit around and twiddle their thumbs all night? I don't think so.

Personally, I don't like how he says that when we're done with the day all that's on CM's minds is Dropping Acid, Drinking and Having ______. Being a character myself, I know firsthand what other CM's are like. Yes, some of them aren't perfect and i'm sure there are ones out there who do things that aren't really "right" but they still do. Guess what though? I'm 20, I don't drop acid and I don't spend my nights going home drinking or having kinky ______. Wanna know why? Because i'm too tired to! Believe it or not 11 hours of working under the hot sun can make a person tired.

I believe that article is total, well...you know. But think about it, i'm sure Burger King and McDonalds Teenage and young adult employees go home after work and might do the exact same thing that Disney CM's do, but of course Disney makes it in the news because we have the innocent reputation. I guess sometimes people forget that beyond the costumes that CM's wear, that we're also people too.

mkepcotmgmak

this is ridiculous. i worked in disney operations and in disney entertainment when i was on my college program, and although this stuff happens... it's not like the article makes it out to be.

there are 55,000 cast members at wdw. that's more than my town has men, women and children... so you know that out of ALL those people, not everyone is going to be what they seem to be at work...

backstage disney is VERY different than onstage disney, and in my opinion, that's one of the things that makes it so great. i do, however, wish that the college program was different, in that the selection of the students was on much higher standards, and the number allowed in was much smaller... but CPs are cheap labor for disney... and only a handful of us on the program were actually there because we enjoyed disney... and weren't there to just party and go to work with hangovers...

where does this person get off saying that entertainment cast members get off, get high and do all other sorts of drugs? that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. i'm 23, and never smoked or shot up anything, nor did any of the cms that i knew and were friends with. was this article really printed in the washington post?

bhg469

just to cover for the cm's im 25 im pretty calm but back in the day i was fairly wild and i was a manager for hollywood video. No one ever did an expose' on my antics there and they were pretty nuts, not as big as vista way but there were only like 6 employees so we were limited to slight carnage.

Connor002

Well, I don't know what to say to that.

I supose that there are things that happen...

I'm having trouble believing this one, partly because it seems so outrageous, and mostly because I don't want to believe it. Plus, its hard to take this, I'm still kind of immature...

I know somone who's done the college program and Ii know he wouldn't do any of that, so at least thats still one person to look up to...
I don't know what to make of this, but I hope it's mostly lies.

pat in the hat

Didn't this story appear on the boards a while ago? I believe that while there may be some truth to it, the majority of readers on this board felt that it was more of a sensationalized ploy to boost sales for a new magazine?

mkepcotmgmak

pat in the hat said:
Didn't this story appear on the boards a while ago? I believe that while there may be some truth to it, the majority of readers on this board felt that it was more of a sensationalized ploy to boost sales for a new magazine?

yes, there is some truth to it... but disney cms are PEOPLE! disney cms are magical onstage (or supposed to be) and PEOPLE offstage... the good and the bad. some are better offstage than they are on, and vice versa!

General Grizz

My theory:

1. Backstage and onstage: totally different.
2. If Cast Members do 'bad things' to you in character onstage, report them immediately.
3. If Cast Members are caught by Disney doing very illegal activities on or offstage, they should be punished or fired.
4. Otherwise, the facts of life are the facts of life. . .

Josh -- I totally agree with you, once again. :lol:

General Grizz

Connor002 said:
well, i don't know what to say to that

i supose that there are things that happen

i'm having trouble believing this one, partly because it seems so outrages, and mostly because i don't want to believe it. plus its hard to take this, i'm still kindof immature, i'm only 14, after all

i know somone who's done the coledge program and i know he wouldn't do any of that, so at least thats still one person to look up to

i don't know what to make of this, but i hope to god its lies
Some pretty bad stuff happens at the college program, but that doesn't mean the college program is bad -- or that everyone participates.

WDWKat26

I actually forgot to say that in my whole spiel too, I was busy trying to gather my thoughts and put them down here. I don't like how it says "This is what characters do" um...it's also attractions, operations, food and beverage, custodial, merchandise etc. So it's kinda bad to direct the article just towards characters.

EpcotGrl

Wow, and my roommates thought I was a stick in the mud because I wouldn't let them have alcohol in the apartment... :lookaroun

bhg469

WDWKat26 said:
I actually forgot to say that in my whole spiel too, I was busy trying to gather my thoughts and put them down here. I don't like how it says "This is what characters do" um...it's also attractions, operations, food and beverage, custodial, merchandise etc. So it's kinda bad to direct the article just towards characters.

Oh stop everyone knows your making faces at everyone under those masks. We know your all up to no good.

lebeau

What struck me was the extreme snarkiness of the columnist. He read an article about unsavory things being done by Disney employees and he was delighted? Delighted enough to write a whole column reveling in reflected debauchery. Clearly the guy hates Disney and Diseny World. I guess he was just looking for a chance to throw stones at an easy target.

MickeyMad

So what - what they do in their own time is their business in fact I don't know why I'm giving that utterly stupid report the time of day all I can say is they should get a life.

WDWKat26

bhg469 said:
Oh stop everyone knows your making faces at everyone under those masks. We know your all up to no good.

Actually the funny thing is, I smile for pictures, I guess after doing it for ya know, 20 years you kinda can't stop! lol, and everyone always knows that i'm up to no good, that's a given! :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom