What book would you choose?

careship

Original Poster
Ok all here we go with our dreams for Disney again....

We know that originality isn't any movie houses strongpoints right now. LOTR and HP have proven the ultimate in success for taking the heart of a book or series of and putting it on the screen. I am looking forward to the Series of Unfortunate Events but Disney didn't have the foresight to grab that one. Narnia will be coming in the next couple years and that is already highly anticipated. So...

The point being....what book or books would you like to see on the big screen? If we were Disney and could choose...what would you choose and why? Any ideas for the characters etc?

Just thought this could be a fun thread for us Disney dreamers.

My thoughts.....

I have a few but the titles just wandered away amidst my writing here...

Artemis Fowl Series
Magic Treehouse Series

There are more and I will elaborate with why I think these would be good after I find the name of the book that I was really thinking of that could not only make a great movie, but the characters are wonderful for Disney and would make a great addition to the Animal Kingdom....Now let my find that book and get you the title.

careship

Original Poster
Ah Hah

Here's the book that really got me thinking about how they could use a really great book with a great story that could really compliment what Disney already has.

The Book = The Warm Place by Nancy Farmer

The book's main characters are a giraffe, a rat, a chameleon and a boy.

Short idea of the story....

Giraffe gets stolen from her home and gets put into an American Zoo. Meets a rat on her way to the zoo on board a ship. Then meets this magical chameleon who helps her escape the zoo to return home to "the warm place."

Look up the book on amazon or something or get the book out of the library. it is a short childrens book with a wonderful message that you don't really know is there. The characters are wonderfully written and would make awesome additions to Disney and the story in general could be a welcome addition to the Animal kingdom.

If anyone knows of this book or runs out and reads it I'd love to discuss what Disney could do with this.

FigmentJedi

I have an idea for a book based movie... Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs! It could be like Day After Tommorow, but with giant food!

ISTCrew20

I read this book in 6th grade, called Fig Pudding. It was really good, having to do with a boy (named Fletcher I think) Who lives with 8 other siblings. It was a comedy book, and it was really funny. The tone changed when one of the siblings died in an accident, and the rest of the family had to work through it together. The book ends on a happy note, and if it were to be made into a movie, it would have everything. Comedy, drama, and heart, so that the whole family could see it together. Now that I think about it, it sounds alot like Cheaper by the Dozen (except about the death).

JBSLJames

With all the advances in animation, I think they could do a great movie of "On Watership Down". And in the vein of LOTR, they could do a good job with "The Cronicles of Corum".

barnum42

Terry Pratchett novels are just begging for the big screen treatment.

At the risk of piggy backing on the LOTR success I'd love to see Raymond E Feist's Magician on the big screen.

wdwmaniac

Well I got my wish to see Lord of the Rings and Potter, now I have Narnia coming to the screen. There are three books that I would like to see Disney make.

The Wind on Fire Trilogy- the Windsinger, Slaves of the Mastery, and Firesong. Disney's Hyperion publishing publishes the books so the right would not be hard to come by.

Abarat- another great book- Disney also owns the rights to the story but doesn't publish it.

The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy #1)- It's another great story about a wirzard. by Hyperion.

Also for your info I have read that these great stories are coming to the big screen:
Artemis Fowl Series (Miramax Publishing- Disney's Unit)
Inkheart- New Line
The Lost Years of Merlin (Miramax)
Eragon- Fox
His Dark Materials- (New Line (Time Warner))
The Elric Saga- (Universal)
The Chronicles of Narnia- (Disney)
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Parmount)

careship

Original Poster
Well, I hope they do a good job with Artemis Fowl...they really are good books and could make wonderful movies for disney with all the pixies in it etc.

I knew the Lemony Snickets were coming out....they actually look good too.

There is another newer series that my kids have me hooked on only four so far but they are quite good fantasies.....Guardians of Gahoole.

I know I am talking about kids' books, but most that I am talking about are for the older kids which brings in the adults too.

Magic Treehouse books would have to be combined as the books are so small, but they would be great especially using them later for MGM or World Showcase maybe.

cloudboy

Animated or live action?

I'm not much of a fiction reader, so I don't hav anything to offer, other than maybe a short of the Winken, blinken, and Nod nursery rhyme.

Craig Shaw Gardner did a series of books called the Cineverse Trilogy or something like that (Slave of the Volcano God and Revenge of the Fluffy Bunnies were two titles). It would have to be cleaned up a bit but I think it might make an interesting live action film.

Enderikari

I would love to see an excellent big-screen adaptation of Ender's Game, as this is one of my favorite books of all time, but since that one has been on the burner for umpteen years, maybe I will wish upon a star and hope for Good Omens, a novel of the apocalypse by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. A comedy

firedancer2000

I'm kinda against making books into movies in the first place, but if I had to choose, it would be "Into the Land of the Unicorns" by Bruce Coville.

careship

Original Poster
firedancer2000 said:
I'm kinda against making books into movies in the first place, but if I had to choose, it would be "Into the Land of the Unicorns" by Bruce Coville.

I prefer original ideas myself so I know what you mean. I actually think Bruce Coville's books in general too would be good for a movie or some of them would make a great series for the Disney Channel or Family Channel.

I would like to see some original movies once again as well as original series for kids/teens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom