What becomes of Star Tours

mickEblu

It’s actually pretty depressing from a historical perspective that Star Tours, one of the most lauded and famous Disney attractions ever is slated to eventually be permanently closed.

I see where you re coming from, even as someone who rarely rides Star Tours. I have fond memories of the original version. I’m also ok with it sticking around as it takes all but one acre. I don’t trust any half @$$ lazy attraction replacing it unless it’s replaced as part of a complete TL redo.

Ismael Flores

Am I the only one who scoffs at the idea of positioning a Star Wars attraction not in a Star Wars Land. This is beyond asinine and into the realm of sheer crazy.

Isn't star tours story set in a different place within the Star Wars universe? SWGE is designed to be a specific outpost so having a space terminal run by Star Tours travel agency located in another part of the park shouldn't be much of a problem. The ride right now kind of even solves that issue since the ride ends up taking you to Batuu.

It would have been great if the attraction was somewhere closer to the new land so that people would exit into Batuu but at this point having a simulator right next to a newer more advanced simulator would probably be a little redundant.
I'm sure that once they have a plan in place for tomorrowland they will remove it but with the need for capacity an opened ride is better than non

TwilightZone

Better ride star tours next time I go alongside star wars land. Might be my last.
Sad for me, but hey, I think swl is a good "replacement", so not too sad at the same time.

SuddenStorm

This might sound dramatic, but any emotional connection I had to Star Tours died when they revamped it. The new one was fun the first few times, but felt far cheesier in all the wrong ways.

Fun ride, but with Galaxy's Edge's Falcon ride, it's completely unnecessary and outdated.

Phroobar

I genuinely don't believe it ever will. Maybe some of the other worldwide parks but not DL/WDW.
All companies eventually fail or are bought out. All it would take for Disneyland/WDW is a small series of local terrorist attacks. Just look how long it took tourist industry to recover after 9/11. Disneyland/DCA were ghost towns in 2001-2003. If people ever felt unsafe about being in public spaces for years due to random attacks those places would close pretty quickly.

SuddenStorm

I genuinely don't believe it ever will. Maybe some of the other worldwide parks but not DL/WDW.

Eh, how much from the 1700's is still going today?

Disneyland certainly feels timeless- like it could last forever (I suspect a lot of that is cause of it's design) but I expect in 50-100 years it'll look and feel very different, especially if technology causes widespread changed in the tourism industry.

Damon7777

Original Poster
All it would take for Disneyland/WDW is a small series of local terrorist attacks. Just look how long it took tourist industry to recover after 9/11. Disneyland/DCA were ghost towns in 2001-2003.

Exactly

I have been wanting to do a thread on this very idea. Back in 2016 when the sensational alligator event at Grand Floridian and the discovery of Mateen's early plan to target Disney Springs before taking his terror to south of Downtown Orlando at Pulse, WDW could have had a tough time bouncing back.

As you more or less say no company is totally safe either financially, socially or physically.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I wonder why the Rocket Rod sound effect had to be so loud? It was deafening as it went down the main strip of Tomorrowland. Even RSR is no where near as loud and it's the same basic tech.

TwilightZone

I wonder why the Rocket Rod sound effect had to be so loud? It was deafening as it went down the main strip of Tomorrowland. Even RSR is no where near as loud and it's the same basic tech.
Because loud = cool. Or at least to early 00s disney.
My second guess is because the budget wasn't "all there" to make it quiet.

fctiger

Saw this posted today and thought about this thread!

It's the first three minutes of the video but the basic gist is both Star Tours rides will be staying and not leaving anytime soon. Basic reasons what others have suggested before, mostly for capacity reasons and its still a highly popular ride. The change over in 2011 took a ride that was getting 10-20 minute waits in summers before it closed to now 30-60 minute waits in the same period. So why get rid of something like that.

And Jack made a great point in the video for people who want their Star Wars fix but don't want to wait 2-4 hours in a line for stuff like Smugger's Run or ROTR still has ST as a fun standby and with FP,, even if a less dazzling one compared to the more modern stuff. And I imagine will still be updating the ride with future movies. So that mystery is now solved.

BubbaQuest

Is there any video of Rocket Rods going through Star Tours waiting line from the perspective of people in line?

I couldn't find one with Rocket Rods, but here's a shot with the People Mover going through. If I remember correctly, you really had to look for it since it was pretty dark up there and the ship kind of hid that area as you went down and around in the queue.

Here's a pretty good video with the People Mover passing through:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom