What becomes of Star Tours

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So we now have a fairly good idea about the soon to open screen based Star Wars "Smugglers Run" ride.

How many guests after immersing in a Star Wars environment and ultimately "Smuggling" over in Galaxy's Edge will find an interest in Star Tours, the soon to be isolated and extremely inferior anachronistic holdover. Star Tours will be a pitiful sight sitting lonely at the entrance of Tomorrowland with its 1987 sterile box like frontage.

OMG, not another screen ride! /s

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So we now have a fairly good idea about the soon to open screen based Star Wars "Smugglers Run" ride.

How many guests after immersing in a Star Wars environment and ultimately "Smuggling" over in Galaxy's Edge will find an interest in Star Tours, the soon to be isolated and extremely inferior anachronistic holdover. Star Tours will be a pitiful sight sitting lonely at the entrance of Tomorrowland with its 1987 sterile box like frontage.

How many people still find interest in the FL rides that are 60+ years old even though there are much newer more technologically superior attractions all around the parks. The fact that you find it as some sort of travesty to continue to have Star Tours after SW:GE opens doesn't mean the rest of the park going public will feel the say way.

Basically get over yourself and just enjoy the park. Or if somehow the idea of Star Tours sticking around hurts your OCD riddled mind then don't go.

Damon7777

Original Poster
How many people still find interest in the FL rides that are 60+ years old even though there are much newer more technologically superior attractions all around the parks.

Absolutely stupid comparison, but nice try anyway.

There is no Neverland opening in another section of the park nor a fully fleshed out state of the art Pinocchio Village land.

Phroobar

Absolutely stupid comparison, but nice try anyway.

There is no Neverland opening in another section of the park nor a fully fleshed out state of the art Pinocchio Village land.
KD6oN.jpg

DanielBB8

You should be at Micechat where they argue “Why Didn't GE create one "people eater" attraction like Haunted Mansion?”

Sometimes superior attractions don’t make the old attractions worse or better. Just different.

mickEblu

Their might be things people still enjoy about Star Tours like only having to wait 30 minutes for a Star Wars attraction instead of 4 hours. Or maybe they ll like that Star Tours is less intense or that they don’t have to participate. Maybe it’s nostalgia - like the sights and sounds in the queue.

Damon7777

Original Poster
Their might be things people still enjoy about Star Tours like only having to wait 30 minutes for a Star Wars attraction instead of 4 hours. Or maybe they ll like that Star Tours is less intense or that they don’t have to participate. Maybe it’s nostalgia - like the sights and sounds in the queue.

I'm sure you're right about the nostalgia and the safe familiarity of Star Tours. Inevitably there will be those who hold on to something solely because it was part of their past, irrespective of merits. I am not one.

Also, as to wait times I see that argument pop up often around here when evaluating an attraction's worth. I would like to point out that the shorter wait times( just like a crazy 7 hour wait time)as well as price of admission has nothing to do with the quality of product. If something is a walk-on and free to experience but is lousy, then it's still a lousy attraction(no, I'm not saying ST is lousy.....actually it has something good to offer like that elaborate queue and the well done AA pilot).

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Star Tours is staying because Disney couldn't get it together to replace it in a timely fashion, not because there's some good reason to keep it running in the face of the stunning new attractions opening in SWGE across the park.
So are you saying that Disney wanted/wants to replace Star Tours too?

mickEblu

I'm sure you're right about the nostalgia and the safe familiarity of Star Tours. Inevitably there will be those who hold on to something solely because it was part of their past, irrespective of merits. I am not one.

Also, as to wait times I see that argument pop up often around here when evaluating an attraction's worth. I would like to point out that the shorter wait times( just like a crazy 7 hour wait time)as well as price of admission has nothing to do with the quality of product. If something is lousy and is a walk-on and free to experience then it's still a lousy attraction(no, I'm not saying ST is lousy.....actually it has something good to offer like that elaborate queue).

Star Tours isn’t one of my favorites but I never said it was a lousy attraction. I’m giving examples of why people may still find it appealing after riding the higher tech Falcon. Higher tech doesnt necessarily mean Falcon will be better. I think it will be better based off what we ve read but that doesn’t mean that all of a sudden people will write off Star Tours. My 30 minute wait example isn’t that extreme and wasn’t meant to say the attraction is lousy. While everyone is running to the brand new stuff at Star Wars Land, their will be people who would rather wait a fraction of the time for Star Tours or just have some time to kill before their Falcon /ROTR return time. We already treat the parks like that now. For example, one prioritizes attractions like Space or Indy (with FP or not) and then fill in the gaps with secondary attractions. Star Tours I think just kind of gets knocked into a secondary tier, which for me is how I’ve viewed it since they downgraded it from Star Tours 1.0 anyway.

mickEblu

Star Tours is staying because Disney couldn't get it together to replace it in a timely fashion, not because there's some good reason to keep it running in the face of the stunning new attractions opening in SWGE across the park.

I would imagine the biggest reason it’s still here is because it was the highlight of their temporary Star Wars Land while they were building the real one.

GiveMeTheMusic

So are you saying that Disney wanted/wants to replace Star Tours too?

There's no logical reason for it to remain open. It's going to look like trash compared to SWGE. At this point the thought is that it could attract guests who will be shut out of SWGE due to capacity, but the long-term plan was never to keep both open concurrently. Why would you want an inferior Star Wars attraction on the other side of the same park from your most ambitious build out of all time?

mickEblu

There's no logical reason for it to remain open. It's going to look like trash compared to SWGE. At this point the thought is that it could attract guests who will be shut out of SWGE due to capacity, but the long-term plan was never to keep both open concurrently. Why would you want an inferior Star Wars attraction on the other side of the same park from your most ambitious build out of all time?

I wish they would have just the damn thing down in 2015 and put GOTG in their instead but alas.

Anyway, are you saying they didn’t plan on it being a big part of Seasons of the Force or that Seasons of the Force wasn’t always in the plans while they were pumping out all these Star Wars movies? When was Star Tours supposed to shut down in the original plan? I feel like they had to keep it open til at least early/ mid 2018.

BasiltheBatLord

It’s actually pretty depressing from a historical perspective that Star Tours, one of the most lauded and famous Disney attractions ever is slated to eventually be permanently closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom