What are your Top Ten Attractions that should be replaced at Disneyland Park?

MK-fan

Original Poster
Here is my list:

1) Autopia
2) Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
3) Winnie the Pooh
4) Gadgets Go Coaster
5) Fantasyland Theater
6) Goofy’s Playhouse
7) Chip n Dale’s Treehouse
8) Magic Eye Theater
9) Pinocchio’s Daring Journey (only because it is the least popular
10) Star Wars Launch Bay

What are your Top 10 attractions that you think should close and be replaced?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Honestly I like how there are so many different attractions than WDW so I wouldn't replace things but dear lord some of them really need some good old fashion TLC so they aren't having to be stopped and reset every few minutes.

Mark_E

Going to limit this to “Rides”
1 + 2: Autopia and Nemo Submarines. The footprint is huge and with a rejig of the monorail track they could do something fantastic with this huge area.
3+4: Pinocchios Daring Journey and Mr Toads wild ride. I just don’t have a strong connection to these characters. Tangled would be great for a fantasyland dark ride. So would Beauty and the Beast.
5+6: Casey Jr and Storybook Canal. Again, these are cute rides but along with the fantasyland theatre, the footprint is huge. Could do something great with this area.
7: Star Tours. Don’t get me wrong, love this ride, but as and when new missions are added to Galaxys edge, this becomes slightly obsolete.
Getting harder to choose the final 3
8 - Gadgets go coaster. The idea to relocate sky school here isn’t a bad shout
9 - Roger Rabbit. Keep the ride system but retheme
10 - Buzz, again just needs a bit of an update, and already plenty of Pixar at Cali adventure

PiratesMansion

Here's my 10, although it'd be more accurate to call some of these extensive refurbishments or redos than complete replacements.
1. Tarzan's Treehouse. Dear lord is this terrible compared to the lovely Swiss Family Treehouses left in Florida, Tokyo, and Paris. Even Hong Kong's Tarzan is slightly nicer (albeit much more annoying to get to). While I get that the Swiss Treehouse is never coming back, this is just a travesty now.
2. Chip and Dale Treehouse. Even worse and just as neutered. Why is this still here?
3. Pinocchio. I've never liked this ride or understood why Imagineering decided to clone it for Tokyo and Paris. Sure, Toad was/is low tech, but it's so full of fun and great gags; Pinocchio is more technically impressive, but what else does it have going for it? To me there's nothing particularly interesting, distinctive, or well done about it, and I say this as a huge fan of the film it's based on.
4. The Subs. Not done away with, mind you, but made better. I will admit that when I redid them in 2018 for the first time in five years, it was better than I remember, but I still think the current ride just isn't very good, but no one cares or is willing to mention this because "oh, it's so nice to have the subs again!" That's not a reason to keep a ride around, IMO.
5. Pooh. Keep the bakery at the end though!
6. Launch Bay. If they don't know what to do with this building, they should honestly just demolish it at this point.
7. Goofy's House. Like the treehouse, is there even a point anymore?
8. Main Street Electrical Parade. It's not running right now, but it'll be back. Really, it should run during the Halloween season so they can promote it as Disney's most famous zombie. Man, imagine if they kept repeatedly bringing back Swiss Family Treehouse temporarily instead...
9. Mickey and the Magical Map. This is not a bad show, but it is tired and running a very limited schedule, as if the park wants to get rid of it but there's one senior person (probably the same guy obsessed with those non-functional wires for the trolley at DCA) who wants to keep it around for some reason. Remember when they said they were going to update this regularly but then never did? Variations, and better ones at that, of this show have run in Hong Kong and Paris as Mickey and the Wonderous Book and Mickey and the Magician respectively. I think Disneyland would benefit from more shows like this, and that the theater should stay for that reason, but that this show is clearly past its prime and should be put out to pasture.
10. JACK SPARROW'S Pirates of the Caribbean. Now, read carefully. I AM NOT SAYING they should take out the Pirates ride altogether; I am saying that the movie elements are tired and do not enhance the attraction in any way; take THEM out and restore it to how it used to be. I didn't necessarily realize how negatively these additions affected the ride until I went to Paris in 2015, back before they added the movie elements. It was revelatory how much BETTER the ride used to be without hearing about "Captain Jack Sparrow!!!" every five seconds, and how much better the original dialogue was over the movie-themed replacements. Removing the projections in the transition tunnel was a great first step, but let's go all the way and bring it back to how it used to be.

Oh, and it'll never happen, but they should restore the original auction scene too. I get that it's maybe not a great look in the 2020s, but it was an essential part of the original attraction, the scene that's there now is a lifeless slog, and I'm still not convinced the park heard a lot of complaints about it. If we can't do that, maybe replace it with Paris', which was allegedly done better.

Last edited:

Phroobar

1. Autopia/Sub lagoon - Keep the subs as a pre show ride transportation to Seabase Delta that resides in an underwater chamber of an active volcano whos thermal energy is being used to power Tomorrowland. Seabase Delta will include live fish and an underwater lava tube rollercoaster.
2. Launchbay/Innoventions - gets demoed and turned into Horizons 2.0 complete with omnimover.
3. Pizza Planet/dinosaurs - Time travel ride that includes the train and the dinosaurs. Wraps around the back of Space Mountain.
4. Starcade and upper floor - become queue space for Space Mountain pre show that includes and meteorite strike on Space Station 77 and we are being evaced from the station.
5. Gadget's Go-coaster is rethemed to the latest version of Duck Tales. We are in Uncle Scrooge's money bin in money carts.
6. Donald's boat gets updated with window service tuna sandwiches. Throwback to Captain Hook's boat in Fantasyland.
7. Goofy's house - updated with projection/motion tech as if we were painting his house for him.
8. Pooh - gets expanded and updated to Tokyo trackless version
9. Fantasyland theater - removed for Fantasyland upgrade - include new slay ride Frozen eticket.
10. Motorboat area - removed for Fantasyland upgrade - Tangled dark ride
11. Tarzan's treehouse - rethemed to Indiana Jones with lots of traps and interactive elements.
12. Splash Mountain - inside rebuilt from ground up to fix issues with all AA and address maintenance issues.

Rich T

1) Smuggler’s Run. Most guests would prefer a chance to simply walk up a ramp into a fully furnished ship that’s physically sitting there as in the old House of the Future walk-thru. Photo op with Han and Chewie at end. Build an indoor womp rat wild mouse in old show building.
2) Bad Trilogy version of RotR. Note that the best parts of ride are the parts that feel like the original trilogy, using the classic SW music, AT-ATs, etc. This is an easy makeover. Imagine how much more thrilling it would be to have Darth Vader stomping after you instead of wimpy dad-murdering emo-boy.
3) All of Toontown except Roger. Ideally, put Roger in Monster’s Inc’s space at DCA.
4) Tarzan’s Treehouse. Switch it back to Swiss Family, even if that requires an awful remake movie starring The Rock.
5) Pixie Hollow. Begone.
6) Astro Orbitor. Move or scrap.
7) Pooh. Replace it with any other ride. Hey, is Lady Bug Boogie still in storage? Or Heimlich?
8) Fantasy Faire. Fantasyland belongs in...y’know...Fantasyland.
9) HM Holiday. Build a permanent NBC ride in DCA.
10) All Space Mtn. overlays. The “normal” version was perfect after the rebuild. Leave perfection alone (but that doesn’t mean don’t fix broken effects!)

Professortango1

1. Subs
2. Autopia
3. IASW - Huge footprint for a rather meh ride.
4. Peter Pan - Never liked this ride. The first half is great, but the second half is unforgivably bad. Build an E-ticket version elsewhere.
5. Pooh
6. Minnie's House
7. Gadget's Go Coaster
8. Donald's Boar
9. Chip and Dale Treehouse
10. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Th3 DUd3

1. Tomorrowland(everything from the edge of the lake where the boats used to run all the way up to the new planters)
2. ToonTown(complete revision)
3. Mickey and the Magical Map( Part of the TT Complete revision)
4. Shooting Gallery
5. Peter Pan(complete revision)
6. Mr. Toad's(to make way for the new Peter Pan)
7. Winnie the Pooh (I do like it, Drugs are like honey, just never ride it...which is why its on the list.)
8. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique- That needs to be in DTD and not in the park.
9. Ghost Galaxy(if they decide to keep SM)
10. Last but not least the notion that Disney can't create a 21 and over special ticket event in Disneyland.

bryanfze55

Am I the only one who thinks the Subs should still have a place at Disneyland? Also, Mickey and the Magical Map is a moving piece of art (but I only watch it once or twice a year as I’m not an AP... if I were a more frequent visitor, I’m sure it could get old.)

It’s hard to even think of 10 bad things at Disneyland Park. DCA, it would be easy. But here goes:

1. Pooh - bring back Country Bear Jamboree
2. Star Wars Launch Bay
3. Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run - I’m sorry, it’s just not very good. Should be a walkthrough.
4. Astro Orbitor - the ride is fine, but it’s placement is poor
5. Autopia - honestly doesn’t bother me that much and is an Opening Day attraction, but I think they should be rethemed to be futuristic
6. Haunted Mansion Holiday - be gone forever
Well, that’s it. You got 6 out of me. I do think Toontown needs to be freshened up, but I think it’s important to remember Toontown wasn’t built for middle aged men. As someone with young kids, I appreciate it’s existence for what it is.

PiratesMansion

Am I the only one who thinks the Subs should still have a place at Disneyland? Also, Mickey and the Magical Map is a moving piece of art (but I only watch it once or twice a year as I’m not an AP... if I were a more frequent visitor, I’m sure it could get old.)

It's not that I (or most others that put it on their list, presumably) want the subs gone, it's that the actual attraction you experience in the subs is one I find to be mediocre. If the subs were updated to do something resembling an updated take on what they were originally, or did something new and intriguing that better fit Tomorrowland, they'd be much better received. Instead it's just "Nemo! Nemo! Nemo!" the whole time, which I find to be tiring and, attached to a ride as significant to Disneyland history as the subs are, crass.

Magical Map is a fine show, it just needs an update. And the way they're running it, it comes off as if they want to get rid of it, but don't have anything new, so they run it as infrequently as possible. Also, M&T Wonderous Book and M&T Magician show that the template from Magical Map can be taken and improved upon.

TwilightZone

from what I want gone the least to the most
10. The subs - honestly too charming for me to want totally gone, but I wouldn't be upset either
9. Monster's inc - honestly have a bit of a soft spot for this one, but it doesn't fit the rest of the land at all. Also shows a lot of super star limo cheapness still.
8. Pooh - also have a bit of a soft spot for this one, but I think redoing it to be more like tokyo's would do it well.
7. Pizza Planet - redo the menu, please tomorrowland needs somewhere that has food thats edible. The theming also needs to be redone too to fit toy story's pizza planet more, but food first.
6. Buzz - with the more high tech Midway Mania next door, the ride is now not really worth the trip. A new ride either with midway manias tech or other dark ride system would be nice.
5. Star tours - very redundant with galaxy's edge, but I would like the ride system to be kept for a new ride. Maybe journey into imagination? Lilo and Stitch could also work for something more IP.
4. Every single preview spot - good places for rides, not trailers.
3. Pixie Hollow - I forget this area even exists at times. Make it something cool, I'd love a dark ride in the spot.
2. Paradise Park is just a small land with carnival attractions now, it's very disjointed next to Pixar Pier and Grizzly Peak. A total theme overhaul and the placement of one or two big rides in it will help it a lot.
1. Innoventions - the sad state it's in is very depressing. Anything done to the building would be great. I could totally see a new dark ride or a clone of the tron coaster in the spot.

mickEblu

1. Finding Nemo but keep the lagoon at all costs

2. Half of Autopia

3. Launch Bay

4. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

5. Tarzans Treehouse but only if they keep the treehouse and retheme it.

6. Fantasyland Theatre

7. Millenium Falcon Smugglers Run

That’s all I got.

George Lucas on a Bench

Thank God you people have no say in this. Why are so many Fantasyland dark rides on these lists?

giphy (1).gif

Miru

1-2: Those two worthless Star Wars museums! Launch Bay and Path of the Jedi at this point basically do absolutely nothing but take up space with four proper Star Wars attractions to compete with, three of which are rides and the last of which is at least interactive. It seems like they and PeopleMover ARE finally doomed for the scrap heap, though. I’d like to give you a clue as to what could replace Launch Bay, both floors. “Eyes big and yellow, horns of a steer, but a wonderful fellow”
3: Incredicoaster...‘s original exterior. It needs a revamp for that full Disney experience, which even the “oh-so-dearly-beloved-and-very-much-missed” original lacked, to an even greater extent.
4. Goofy’s Sky School. What a cheapout! Stitch is looking to take over the space.
5. PDJ. As much as people would hate me for this, PDJ is claustrophobic and dated, and the space could be used for something better. Maybe make an existing ride bigger?
6. Pooh... needs a revamp to match the Tokyo version, with elements of the entire franchise sprinkled in. Lumpy and Kessie cameos would be great
7. GGC. It’s not even fun... merely painful. Maybe keep the theming, maybe note, but the track and vehicles should be ripped out

As for “maybe”:

8. Autopia and/or the Subs. (I’d like to see 20,000 leagues come back)
9. Jumpin’ Jellyfish (mainly if Stitch needs more horizontal space)
10. Emotional Whirlwind

Last edited:

Phroobar

1-2: Those two worthless Star Wars museums! Launch Bay and Path of the Jedi basically do absolutely nothing but take up space with four proper Star Wars attractions. It seems like they and PeopleMover ARE finally doomed for the scrap heap, though. I’d like to give you a clue as to what could replace Launch Bay, both floors. “Eyes big and yellow, horns of a steer, but a wonderful fellow”

Imagination could replace Buzz Lightyear but I would leave Launch Bay's footprint for Horizons 2.0. It would fit the original theme of the land the best. Basically we need a mini Future World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom