What are the Value Resorts really like?

Terp02

So my friend and I have been throwing around the idea of going to WDW, and I've been looking at prices for the resorts in the packages that Disney is offering. I've stayed at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Carribean (2x), and the former Dixie Landings, and was curious how the overall stay at the value resorts are. I know that the buses get crowded easily, and that from the All-Star resorts the bus trips to every but AK is like 20 mins at least, but I was curious about room quality compared to the Moderate resorts, as well as the overall ambiance of the resorts.

My deal/fault is that when I go to WDW, I want it to be an all encompassing experience, meaning I need to get the All-inclusive pass thing (I forget what it's called since it's changed names about 3 times) because I love going to the Water Parks, DisneyQuest, and PI, and would probably hit them up several times, along with the ability to go to any and all the parks in the same day. I also like have the most accomodating hotel experience, that is having a Disney experience within the hotel itself and having a fairly good transportation system; I also refuse to stay off property, it just isn't the same.

The only problem is that I'm not going with my family anymore, and need to be on a budget of some kind, even though i know I'll be shelling out a lot of money for the park pass. I just want to know if the value resorts are worth staying at, or if I should shell out the extra cash and go to a Moderate resort?

Thanks in advance!

Irene

Hi my family and I go to the value resort all the time we stay mostly in the movies. Like it was said before you only really sleep or swim at the resort so its a greatway to go thats good on a budget. Also if you book now through the 3rd of july I belive they will include the meal package too. :slurp: Good luck with your choice.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

If you have to spend some time in the room, the value resorts are sorely lacking as compared to other rooms both on property and nearby. I won't happily stay in a value resort again unless and until some basic changes are made.

NO coffee pot in the room. This is a basic amenity at almost any and every major hotel chain in the US now. Enjoy the hike to the food court for your $$ morning cup of coffee, or bring your own.

NO individual shampoos. Big deal? This is such a basic amenity that it seems cheap, cheap, cheap not to have it. As part of a travelling baseball team family, I stayed in a $39 per night "Best Inn" in the Atlanta suburbs this weekend - a 1 1/2 star resort according to Expedia, and even it had a better system of providing shampoo than the value resorts.

Tiny, cramped room. No decent chair to sit in while you read your morning paper. Oh yeah, no paper delivered to the door, either.

Nowhere really to unpack those bags. Very small cube-like chest/dresser.

I play hard when I am on holiday/vacation, and need a decent room at the end and the beginning of the day. If you are like me, you want more than you can get at a value resort.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

we've stayed at moderates and values & we prefer the moderates. as others have said the values are more juvenile, & we like having a real restraunt at our hotel as opposed to only counter service. the values are still nice, especially if you're not one of those people who spends a lot of time in the room or at the resort. hope this helps a little. :)

Upvote 0

bbll24

My family always stays at Deluxe resorts, and I have only stayed in a value resort once with a large group. Compared to a Deluxe resort, value resorts are crappy. I hope I did not offend anyone.

Upvote 0

AEfx

You need to prioritize where you want to spend your money : when you are awake to enjoy it, or asleep.

For me, it's an easy choice - I choose a value resort because it fits my need : a clean, comfortable place to sleep, a bathroom to take care of my needs, and a fast, efficent way to get to the parks.

I have had a drasticly different experience with transportation than a couple of the posts here. First of all, you can't compare the All-Stars to Pop Century when it comes to bus service. The All-Stars generally share busses between the three of them (though there are exceptions, it is usually the rule) unlike Pop which always, uncondtionally, has a dedicated bus line. This makes a huge difference.

Personally I've never waited more than the 15-20 minutes Disney tells you it will take for a bus, in fact usually it's within 10 minutes. The only time I've ever waited anywhere on Disney property for more than that to get a bus was from the TTC to the AK - took about 45 minutes. I've stayed at Pop for a half-dozen visits that lasted at least a week each and never experienced anything unusual; that doesn't mean exceptions do not happen, I simply have not experienced any of them, much less with any regularity. A few people have said they are "really far away" - well, not really. From the MK? Sure, it's a good 12-minute bus ride. But MGM and Epcot are 4-5 minutes away, and AK is about 6-7.

I'm the type of person who spends maximum time at the park - and enjoys eating at nice restaurants and buying "extras" as I go thorugh my trip. For me, a resort is a place to sleep and bathe, so spending money on a resort that has rooms a few feet larger or an OK sit-down doesn't do it for me. I'd rather take a longer trip with all the "extras" then pay more per night for a resort I won't be at.

It depends on what is important to you - your mileage will vary with ANY of the suggestions posted here. You seem like you have a lot you want to do at WDW. Will you be at your resort long enough to enjoy the "extras"? There isn't a HUGE difference between moderates and values in many respects - and if your decision is transportation, I've heard more horror stories about catching a bus from a monorail resort to a non-monorail park (MGM, DAK) than I have getting a bus from a value.

The only true issue I've ever had is returning from the MK late at night. *IF* you head out right at closing, expect a long line. For some reason, Pop attracts more of a line here than anywhere else. HOWEVER, I have found 2 ways around that : 1) there are beautiful benches at the bus stops - sit down and take a load off for awhile and watch the crowds dissapate - they will bring several busses at once when it's that busy and you can wait in comfort, or even better, 2) stay in the MK! Main Street stays open at least an hour after closing, so I never get it when people all race to the exit at once. They aren't gonna kick you out...yet. Closing time is my cue to get a drink, or grab a snack, take a seat on a nice bench with a view of the castle, and relax. It's one of the nicest times of day at the MK, and while all those people are standing in a bus line, you get your very own "extra magic hour".

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a magical trip!

AEfx

Upvote 0

frankd1962

After staying off property in 1992 and on property in 2000, I would say stay at the Value Resorts. Advantages: Cost - cheaper no matter what time of the year than other Resorts on property. Besides you'll be spending more time at the Parks.
Travel - No rental cars needed. Unless you're planning on going somewhere else off Property, the transportation will do you great. I use buses at home to get where I want.
Cleaniness - Of all hotels I've stayed in these are the cleanest I ve seen for this price.
Disadvantage: Distance - Not too much in walking distance to do or see Disney related but just outside the ALL Star is a McDonald's shaped like an old Happy Meal box.

I can't think of anything else but I rather stay at the Value for the cost and just the plain Disney-ness of staying there.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

For me, staying in a beautiful resort is actually a part of the Disney experience. The Value resorts are way too hopped up on sugar for me to be able to relax! I know that I pay double to stay at a Deluxe resort, but I really enjoy the feeling of being transported somewhere else and of being pampered during my visit (which is why I don't get to go as often as many other people on this board, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make!)

Besides, while I get up at the crack of dawn to get to the parks and I don't leave until they close at night, I do usually go back to my hotel in-between those times in order to have a nap, go swim in the pool and freshen up. That break is part of the reason why it's such an amazingly relaxing vacation for me. As such, the resort is an integral part of my WDW experience, and so I'm normally looking for more than just a place to rest my head at night.

That and DH and I still sleep in a double bed at home. I want a Queen or a King for a week!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Upvote 0

daveemtdave

Woo a king or queen bed - would not know what to do with all that room. Right now I have to share with DW,four cats and a dog and whatever they decide to bring to bed that night. ROOM to sleep - novel idea.:dazzle:

Upvote 0

KnK

daveemtdave said:
Woo a king or queen bed - would not know what to do with all that room. Right now I have to share with DW,four cats and a dog and whatever they decide to bring to bed that night. ROOM to sleep - novel idea.:dazzle:

Sounds like our house!

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

daveemtdave said:

I feel your pain too! Subtract a dog and a cat but make the other three very large cats, and make the DH well over 6 feet tall and... well... when I'm on vacation, I want some space, dangit!

Upvote 0

Disneydreaming

daveemtdave said:

Err, try 9 cats and 1 dog, and I sometimes wonder who's in charge....hahaha it's usually the cats. Nevermind, if its not the cats its one of the kids, lol.

Upvote 0

Disneydreaming

AEfx said:
You need to prioritize where you want to spend your money : when you are awake to enjoy it, or asleep.

For me, it's an easy choice - I choose a value resort because it fits my need : a clean, comfortable place to sleep, a bathroom to take care of my needs, and a fast, efficent way to get to the parks.

I have had a drasticly different experience with transportation than a couple of the posts here. First of all, you can't compare the All-Stars to Pop Century when it comes to bus service. The All-Stars generally share busses between the three of them (though there are exceptions, it is usually the rule) unlike Pop which always, uncondtionally, has a dedicated bus line. This makes a huge difference.

Personally I've never waited more than the 15-20 minutes Disney tells you it will take for a bus, in fact usually it's within 10 minutes. The only time I've ever waited anywhere on Disney property for more than that to get a bus was from the TTC to the AK - took about 45 minutes. I've stayed at Pop for a half-dozen visits that lasted at least a week each and never experienced anything unusual; that doesn't mean exceptions do not happen, I simply have not experienced any of them, much less with any regularity. A few people have said they are "really far away" - well, not really. From the MK? Sure, it's a good 12-minute bus ride. But MGM and Epcot are 4-5 minutes away, and AK is about 6-7.

I'm the type of person who spends maximum time at the park - and enjoys eating at nice restaurants and buying "extras" as I go thorugh my trip. For me, a resort is a place to sleep and bathe, so spending money on a resort that has rooms a few feet larger or an OK sit-down doesn't do it for me. I'd rather take a longer trip with all the "extras" then pay more per night for a resort I won't be at.

It depends on what is important to you - your mileage will vary with ANY of the suggestions posted here. You seem like you have a lot you want to do at WDW. Will you be at your resort long enough to enjoy the "extras"? There isn't a HUGE difference between moderates and values in many respects - and if your decision is transportation, I've heard more horror stories about catching a bus from a monorail resort to a non-monorail park (MGM, DAK) than I have getting a bus from a value.

The only true issue I've ever had is returning from the MK late at night. *IF* you head out right at closing, expect a long line. For some reason, Pop attracts more of a line here than anywhere else. HOWEVER, I have found 2 ways around that : 1) there are beautiful benches at the bus stops - sit down and take a load off for awhile and watch the crowds dissapate - they will bring several busses at once when it's that busy and you can wait in comfort, or even better, 2) stay in the MK! Main Street stays open at least an hour after closing, so I never get it when people all race to the exit at once. They aren't gonna kick you out...yet. Closing time is my cue to get a drink, or grab a snack, take a seat on a nice bench with a view of the castle, and relax. It's one of the nicest times of day at the MK, and while all those people are standing in a bus line, you get your very own "extra magic hour".

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a magical trip!

AEfx

What an excellent, well thought out response. And I never thought about staying behind at MK while the crowds empty out. Great idea and one I will use next trip in July!

Upvote 0

Terp02

Original Poster
First of all, thank you all for your responses, I greatly appreciate them. Right now, all I'm doing is some prelim research since we don't even know if we're gonna go, we're just talking about it. But I think if we went, we'd be going in late November/early December since it's MUCH cheaper and there probably will be less people.

I'm still leaning towards staying at PO-Riverside, because I still think that it's one of the nicest resorts on the entire property, and is still Moderate, but will strongly consider either A-S Sports or Pop.

I do, however, enjoy coming back in the afternoon, to come back and relax and get some food after an early morning at the parks, as well as having the feeling of being encompassed by the WDW atmosphere.

If nothing else, all this talk and research is whetting my appetite for another visit to WDW.

Thanks again, and keep the opinions coming!!!

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

If nothing else, all this talk and research is whetting my appetite for another visit to WDW.

heh - be careful, or else you'll wind up booking one! ;) Going through these forums is what prompted me to book what is going to be the most impulsive vacation I've ever taken (a big step for someone as as me)!! Ganted, it's going to be in late August/early September, but I NEVER thought I'd be heading back to WDW before next summer! I still have to pinch myself because I don't quite believe it... LOL

Topic? If you do enjoy the WDW atmosphere, then I would still suggest going with a moderate over a value. I visited POP out of curiosity, and while I thought it was cool, my brain felt fried after looking at all of the garish colours. It just felt like Disney on speed to me, and that's not what I would want to come "home" to if I wanted to have a relaxing afternoon.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

To me, it's a question of convenience and amenities vs. price. If you aren't going to take advantage of the amenities at the Moderate and the Moderate is not much more convenient to the parks, I'd go with the Value. When I've gone to WDW with my family (wife, three sons) we stay at Deluxe resorts, because we typically use many of the amenities available (marina, restaurants) and appreciate the convenience to one of the parks, even though it may be cheaper to get two rooms at a Value. However, when I stopped in Orlando on my way home from a business trip, I stayed at Pop because I didn't want to pay extra for amenities I wouldn't use. I thought Pop was clean and fun, and I would stay there again.

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

Terp02 said:
I do, however, enjoy coming back in the afternoon, to come back and relax and get some food after an early morning at the parks, as well as having the feeling of being encompassed by the WDW atmosphere.

This is still possible to do while at a Value Resort. I think a lot of people don't think that at most, it's only a 20 minute drive to Pop...which in the grand scheme of things...is not that bad...especially when you are taking a break from the parks. (Just think, you could not even be staying on Disney property...talk about a drive!)

Upvote 0
I stayed at Movies, and I found it to be fine. We were in our room about the average amount of time, I guess you'd say, and I never felt overcrowded (there were four of us.) I went the end of August, the parks were pretty full, but the buses were never a problem, they ran with little wait time, and I never had to stand, though I was the last stop a few times. So I say go for it!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Terp02 said:
First of all, thank you all for your responses, I greatly appreciate them. Right now, all I'm doing is some prelim research since we don't even know if we're gonna go, we're just talking about it. But I think if we went, we'd be going in late November/early December since it's MUCH cheaper and there probably will be less people.

One other thing to consider (and I apologize if it's been brought up, I didn't re-read all the original responses):

If you're planning going in late November/Early December...granted it's not the usual class trip time, BUT, if there's any large group of people traveling together also staying on Disney property (like a class trip, youth group, church group, any sort of school competition thing), they will almost assuredly be staying at a Value resort. And if it's a group of young kids, traveling with a minimum of adult supervision, you'll wind up experiencing more noise and goings-on than you would at a mod. There have been tales of WDW hosting cheerleading competitions, for example, where one group of cheerleaders are hanging out by the pools "not-drinking" until the wee hours of the morning, followed by another group of "serious" cheerleaders practicing formation at 6 in the morning. If you're near either group when they're making a ruckus, that's gonna stink to be you. Another reason I'd consider a mod resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom