What are the best Resort TS restaurants?

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Hi all, just planning our dining reservations. Could you give me your recommendations for TS resort restaurants? We are going in December and seeing how busy it will be are looking to eat away from the parks for a bit of respite. We have been to (and loved) Trails End, Whispering Canyon and Ohana before but would like to try something new.

DISR

Taste is always subjective, but three I would travel from another resort to experience are Jiko, Citricos, and California Grill. That said, the quality is sometimes inconsistent at Disney dining, so your experience may vary. I've heard good things about Flying Fish, but have not made it there yet. Not a slam on your taste, but the two of the three restaurants you mention are pretty basic fare that you can find variations of across WDW. Most restaurants will offer a steak, chicken, fish, and pasta and/or veg dish. All of the ones you mention are buffets or have large portion options. If you are a big eater, than Boma and Cape May Cafe are probably worth a look. Also consider Disney Springs...IMO that has the highest concentration of good dining. For good variety and quality at reasonable (for Disney) prices, check out Splitsville.

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Thanks @DISR will take that on board. My family are big on the theming of restaurants and also really enjoy American food, I was considering Boma, will give it another look.

sdemore

We too are going, December 1 thru 14, and these are the non-park restaurants that we like
Narcoossee's is DH's favorite we are dining there 3 nights
Jiko
Paddle Fish
Flying Fish
Yachtsman Steakhouse
If you are into theme dining you might like Storybook dining (not sure of the name) but it is the old Artist Point in WL.
Enjoy the planning journey and maybe we will see you there!!!
193 days and counting! Whoo

ThatMouse

It's great to see another Trails End fan! Boma and Cape May are my picks due to having the variety of a buffet and they rarely need dining reservations. Cape May is a walk to/from EPCOT too. I also like all the quick service places at the resorts as a nice way to relax, and ya I've stopped in at Beach Club at 10pm for a sandwich on the way back to our actual resort.

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Sounds like Boma would bet a great choice for us, thanks @ThatMouse we were hoping to visit Beaches and Cream at but it looks like it’ll still be undergoing renovation at that time. Ill keep an eye on that in case they finish early. @sdemore we will just be arriving on the day you are leaving, hope you have a great time!

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

DDP, TIW? Or OOP? It does tend to make a difference? "BEST" to us would be, in order...

1) Shula's (Dolphin) / CA Grill (Contemporary) tie.
2) Il Mulino (Swan).
3) Narcoossee's (GF).
4) Citrico's (GF).

We are hitting CAPA (Four Seasons) for the first time, in NOV. Looks GOOD, but we have not BEEN there yet.

I've left out the absolute BEST Restaurant at WDW (Victoria & Albert's), simply because it is totally in a class by itself.

Marc Davis Fan

Another vote for Jiko here. Great food, wonderful atmosphere.

Jiko was my favorite WDW restaurant for years, and then it moved to #2 because I went to Flying Fish. Now, I’ve only been to Flying Fish once, so I don’t know how consistent it is, but it was definitely really impressive that time.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Hi all, just planning our dining reservations. Could you give me your recommendations for TS resort restaurants? We are going in December and seeing how busy it will be are looking to eat away from the parks for a bit of respite. We have been to (and loved) Trails End, Whispering Canyon and Ohana before but would like to try something new.

The Wave at the Contemporary Resort.
Gotta say its by far my favorite TS location in all of WDW.

yedliW

Not much to say about the décor but one of our better meals this past March was at The Wave at the Contemporary.
The Wave at the Contemporary Resort.
Gotta say its by far my favorite TS location in all of WDW.

We ate at the Wave a couple of years ago. I wasn't overly impressed. I really can't put my finger on why.. It wasn't bad.. but I just don't remember being in love with the experience.. (to be honest.. it was probably a cranky toddler..). We were on the DDP, and they let me exchange my desert for a salad..

That said, I have heard a lot of good things about it recently, so we may have to consider it for our upcoming trip.

Count me as another up vote for Boma.

Cape May is a good option if you are seafood lovers. While there are non-seafood options, I didn't think there were enough to justify the cost if you aren't going to get piles of crab legs..

carriebeth

We have been into trying various resort table services the past couple years. I love Boma for breakfast. We actually do more of a brunch booking one of the last breakfast time options. We go to animal kingdom on an early morning extra magic hour day, then hop over to Boma late morning. We get a ton done early in AK then eat then go back and do some shows and stuff right when the heat of the day hits hard and wait times are longer. Usually throw in a fast pass for Kali during that spell too. During this time spell there are very very few people eating and its so calm.

The Wave was one we tried last year and it was a big hit for our family. There was nothing super "themey" about it nor nothing on the menu that was super unique but it was a nice experience. I think we all got steaks and enjoyed them. I remember dessert the most, however, it was very good.

We also tried Grand FLoridian Cafe last year. I was real excited about trying it. I wanted to love the whole thing, but, overall was so dissappointed. It started when we were seated and I sat down on the bench section and the cushion immediately tipped over and fell to the inside of the bench taking me with it. I was tipped inside with my legs dangling outside. So the staff came over and "fixed it" saying it must have been on there crooked had me return to my seat for me to fall through once again! We were not moved to a new location, I was just told to be very careful, sit very still more so at the edge of my seat and not to lean my back against the seat back as that might make it overturn again! The place was pretty empty and although I have a large family of 10 total, there seemed to be plenty of other seating available. Maybe they wanted to keep someone who was agile enough to climb out of the predicament in the spot verses an older guest who could become hurt or a larger person who would not be so easy to climb out? Anyways the food was basic, nothing special and I was most dissappointed when dessert came and they were tiny mini sized. Not like a small sampler of 3 items but like if you orderded the cheesecake it was about 2 bite size.

If you have kids they will like Rainforest or tRex. People complain they are loud but if you have kids they can be as loud as they want along with it. During a Disney trip we do a lot of dining were everyone has to be on good behavior sitting properly being calm ect. Yeah its still Disney but if we are dining in a nice French restaurant, say, I don't let my kid dance on the bench seat. Now at Rainforest, once they bring out the volcano dessert chanting the whole way, my kid is going to swipe out the little steamer sparkler things, wave them in the air, and dance on the bench. It just fits in there! Its been a few years for TRex but we have made Rainforest a regular each year. People often complain the food isn't great but we have gotten some really really good meals there. They have so many choices on the menu. I love the large drink menu and the fact that kids on the dining plan have a variety of specialty drinks to choose from which we found to be pretty rare. THough we usually do the animal kingdom one, I am sure the Springs location would be a great choice if you want totally outside parks.

Rlandrigan

Boma is so worth it - both for the food(and there's a wide enough variety that everyone will find something), the theming, and the chance to wander the hotel, check out the lobby and savannah. It's an amazing resort and well worth a trip.

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Thanks all, definitely going to book Boma, and take a second look at The Wave. I would like to visit the more expensive restaurants, especially California Grill, but to visit WDW from the UK is so expensive now we have to watch the spending a bit more. Really appreciate everyone experience and advice, thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom