What age is better 2 or 3?Help

Ilovecorbinbleu

Original Poster
Hiya,
I want to go WDW next year September time and my daughter will be nearly 3, i want to go with my parents but they are saying she will not enjoy is as she will be too young and should take her after her 3rd birthday. Obv its a LOT cheaper to take her before she is 3 but HOW can i convince my mum and dad she will enjoy it if i take her just before she is 3.

Im a single parent and i dont really want to go by myself, so i need to convince my dad lol, any suggestions?:shrug:

mouselvrmom

I really don't think that there is a big difference in whether you take your child at the age of almost three or wait until they are three.

I don't think that just because they are three they will enjoy it any more or remember it more.

I've taken my youngest three when they have been those ages and they have had a blast. They probably don't remember much beyond what we have pictures of, but they do love looking at those pictures or watching the video we have.

I would try to convince your dad that since it will be cheaper to take your little one before they turn 3, you should go then. Maybe if you show him how much cheaper it will be, you can convince him.

Ilovecorbinbleu

Original Poster
Its like when i went first when i was 8 i dont remember everything but its always the little things you remember that count.

So im hoping i can convince him to change his mind, tho he ive been told he wants to go Goa next year lol how boring.

CAPTAIN HOOK

In terms of cost - then under three is the best age for taking your daughter.

If you're looking at your daughter enjoying herself then any age over two years and she will enjoy herself but she will remember little beyond looking at photos on her return until probably the age of five when she will retain her own memories

mousebymarriage

We have been taking our kids every year since they were infants, DD will be 11 in Sept and DS just turned 6. Even though they really have no memories of Disney when they were very little the pictures tell the story, they had a great time. It doesn't matter if your child is a little under 3 or slightly over 3 she still won't really remember it but, when she is there the look in her eyes will be priceless!:D

Shere_Khan

Gosh I barely remember the trip when I was 12!

I say go ahead and take her, she might not remember it, but you will remember the look on her face!

happymom52003

My daughter has been three times and she is not even two and a half yet. She has done great on all of the trips....she LOVES WDW! The three WDW vacations we have taken since having kids have been magical and near perfect. And even though she may not remember these early trips, I would not trade the memories that I have of them for anything. So I say go before she turns three to take advantage of not having to pay for her. Our only regret is that we did not take our older child sooner....even though we were huge disney fans and had been multiple times before having kids, we still thought we should wait until our kids were older. But after our second one was born I realized there was no way I could wait any longer, so we went when my youngest was 12 months and my oldest was four and a half years. After our first magical day there, we realized how wrong we had been to wait so long!

mnfootballmommy

We are going this Dec. and our DD will be just 2 months shy of 3, or as I like to say, "We'll get the benefits of taking a three year old with the cost of taking a two year old!"

I agree though--she may not remember it all. That's okay--we are making family memories for ALL of us and I know that she will have a great time when we are there. We are planning on doing 'several' of the buffet meals since she can eat free, although she is not a picky eater at all. I am more concerned about her getting overly tired and/or being frightened of the characters up close. We plan on going on a slow schedule (her pace) and going back to the hotel each day for naps.

It really is SO much cheaper before they turn three. I have done A LOT of reading on this with LOTS of hints and stuff written down, so feel free to PM me if you need some help! :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We've been with kids of

It's about the same hassle wise. It's a totally different experience with each age bracket though. They all enjoy WDW - just in different ways.

Ilovecorbinbleu

Original Poster
wow thanks so much for your advice.

I really think im gonna do some work on my dad later this week when i see him.
I just think my dad has his heart set on Goa which is why hes acting how he is, need to show him whats worth the money.

SweetPea

Definitely take her when you want. We took our daughter for her first trip when she was just over 2 and took advantage of her being free. She has always been fearless and rode every ride that she was big enough for (which is quite a few) and she LOVED the characters. We took our time to enjoy Disney through her eyes. I can't tell you how many times I had tears in my eyes just watching her experience everything. Even though she does not have actual memories other than the pictures, I wouldn't trade that trip for anything in the world. I don't know who had more fun, her or her dad and I!! Staying on property also made it easy to go back to the room in the afternoons for a quick cat nap. Besides, people who say, "she'll never remember it" drive me crazy. Everyone's memory fades over time. I don't remember much about the trip I took when I was 17!! I just think it is so much fun to take a child who is still in that stage where they think all of the characters, ect. are the real thing. Older kids start to realize the characters are costumes, but to a three year old...that is the one and only Mickey Mouse! Enjoy.

dox

I don't have any kids myself, but I traveled to WDW with my family and nephew when he was 2 and then a year later when he turned 3. He behaved horribly that first trip. He had a hard time with the lines and spending so much time in a stroller. A year later when he was 3, it was a totally different experience and quite wonderful. And although he doesn't remember it, the rest of the family does. Actually, he remembered that trip for quite some time, until around the age of 5 or 6. Its a very individual decision as to what age is appropriate for a child. But in speaking to tons of friends with kids, 3 yoa seems to be the dividing line. So if your child is quite mature and big for his/her age, I would say a month or two shy of their 3rd b-day seems to be an ok decision. Just one word of advice...take a break in the middle of the day.

Hiya,
I want to go WDW next year September time and my daughter will be nearly 3, i want to go with my parents but they are saying she will not enjoy is as she will be too young and should take her after her 3rd birthday. Obv its a LOT cheaper to take her before she is 3 but HOW can i convince my mum and dad she will enjoy it if i take her just before she is 3.

Im a single parent and i dont really want to go by myself, so i need to convince my dad lol, any suggestions?:shrug:

I think it depends on the disposition of your child as well. If they are often fussy, can't handle the heat, can't sit still even if they're being entertained, and are easily scared...then I might recommend waiting. Then again, how different will they be in a year?

As far as your father goes, it might help him to say something along these lines:

Hey Dad, I know it's not that important to you if we go this year or not. But I'm a single mom who needs to save all the money she can; bringing (child's name ;~) this year would save me over $200. That may not seem like a ton, but that money will be able to pay for some extra things around the house, etc. I want to share this trip with you and Mom - she (your child) won't be this age again. We don't have to deal with potty stops as she's still in diapers, we'll bring the stroller, and I want to remember her at this age. I can't do it without your help :~)

FYI, we brought my sister ages 1 - 10 before we skipped a year - we never had ONE single problem that required us to even go back to the room. I'm sure you're a great parent, and I'm sure your daughter is well-behaved. Talk to your Mom as well - maybe the more SHE gets excited to go, it'll get your Dad more excited. Good luck!! ;)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I posted this in another thread, but it's a better fit here:

One more comment into the mix.

DS12 has vague memories of a number of things we've done together at WDW and elsewhere, but for me the most important aspect is that he distinctly remembers that we did them together.

He has never had the experience of Daddy going away to somewhere 'fun' without him and he is quite aware that we do those things together. I choose not to foist him off on relatives while I have fun. His life and mine are inextricably intertwined and both of us appreciate that fact. Could I have vacationed without him while he still had a good time elsewhere? Probably, but it would instill in him the concept that I'm interested in having fun without him. I can't describe how sad that would be for me.

If you choose to exclude your children from portions of your life, it's certainly your right to do so. I prefer that my child knows without question that he is my life.

DisneyGigi

Excellent post by the way Monty :)

My DS was 3 1/2 his first trip DD was 2 1/2 They were both troopers and had a wonderful time. DS remembers more than DD but there are things that she remembers and she loves watching the videos that we took of her. I wouldn't trade either trip for anything.

TroyMcClure

In my psych class I was told that children can't start forming lasting memories at about three and a half, so I guess it wouldn't matter much between almost-three and just-turned-three

sbkline

I had a reply I was going to give, but when I got home from work, I saw that the thread had been locked. So I'll post it here.

I respect your point of view on the matter and if that's how you feel and you have fun on your trips, then that's great.

But there is another way to look at it as well, and it includes not thinking of it as "foisting your kids" off on anyone. The way I look at it is that most grandparents love to have their grandkids for a week. I don't know your family situation, whether your parents or ex in-laws are still living or not. Or if they are, for all I know they may live next door to you and get to see their grandkids all they want. But in my case, both sets of my grandparents lived more than an hour away and it was a real treat to be able to see them. I remember many times staying for a week with my maternal grandparents and those are some great childhood memories. Sitting outside on the swing with grandpa, or fishing with Grandma in their pond. Grandpa taking us for rides on his tractor and staying up late playing "Aggravation" with Grandma. I have wonderful memories of my grandparents and the times I was able to spend with them. And I was very excited about the prospect of my kids having the same experiences with their grandparents. I very much looked forward to my kids growing up and having Christmases, Thanksgivings, etc, with their grandparents. I very much looked forward to my kids, like my brother and I, being able to go down to the farm and spend a week or so with my parents. My wife's parents live about 5 minutes away and babysit our son on Mondays and Tuesdays, so they see him all the time. But my parents lived about an hour from us and didn't get to see our son as often as we would have liked.

Anyway, regarding our 2007 WDW trip, not only did the wife and I want to spend it without the responsibilities of tending to an infant, but I was also very excited about my son being able to spend a week with my parents and start the memories off from an early age. Not that he would remember the experience any better than he would the Disney trip had he gone, but it would be a good memory for my parents, of having their first grandchild for a week. My mother was very excited about being a grandma for the first time and looked forward to having our son for a week and taking him to church and showing off her new grandchild. See, it isn't about "foisting" him off on some unwilling poor sap. It's about the granparents having the joy of spending a whole week with their only grandchild and being able to "spoil him rotten and send him back home" as they say. :lol:

Well, the trip was in April of 2007 and, unfortunately, my parents were in a car wreck in Novemeber of 2006 and my Mom died. Ya know how many times she got to have her grandson over for the night? Once. That was it. My inlaws went on vacation in October, so my parents had our son for the days that my in-laws would have watched him. So my son was born on May 2, Mom died Dec 1 and in the short amount of time that she got to know her grandson, she got to have him over to her house ONE TIME. When my wife was pregnant in 2005, we got each of our mothers a plaque for Christmas that said "Grandma's Kitchen", which my mother had hanging in her kitchen. I was over there one day after she died and it was still hanging there as a reminder that my son would never get to be in Grandma's kitchen like I was growing up. He will grow up without his grandma, without the memories that I have, and my mother barely got to know her first grandson before she was taken from us. She was so excited about the first Christmas with two new family members: my son and my brother's new wife. But she died before that first Christmas ever got here.

We then changed the plan so that Connie's parents watched him while we were gone. We left for Florida on Sunday morning and we went to Dad's house on Saturday night to drop off the dog. There was sadness in my heart on the way there and back, knowing that this wasn't how it was supposed to be. The original plan was that on Saturday, the wife, the dog, the baby and I would ALL go to MOM and Dad's house, stay all night, then leave Sunday while Mom and Dad have our baby and the dog for the week. Mom was to take the baby to church and show him off and then have a whole week to spoil him as grandma's love to do.

As I said, it didn't happen and now it never will. My son will not be able to have the memories of all his grandparents growing up as my brother and I do. I only have one memory of us going to Disney as a family when I was 11 years old (check my signature), but I have plenty of memories of spending weekends or full weeks with my grandparents and those are some wonderful memories. Important memories, possibly as important, if not more so, than Disney trips.

So, with all due respect, think about it that way instead of thinking of it as "foisting" your kids off on someone. If your parents are anything like my grandparents and parents, I doubt they think of it that way, either.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Proof positive that when you wake up from one nightmare that you are prone to taking up where you left off when you go back to sleep.:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom