what age for Haunted Mansion?

MommyMoses

Original Poster
My kids are 6 and a half and nearly 3. What do you think about HM for them? I remember taking my daughter when she was just over 2 and she HATED it! We haven't tried since (more than 4 years). We've been back many times (Florida residents), but haven't tried HM again. We're going on Friday and considering it. But it's certainly not worth it if they'll be miserable!

Cnrtygirl

We have only been once in 2005. DD was 9 at the time and I can say honestly she hated this ride. It freaked her out completely. She didn't like the "ghost" that would hitch a ride with you. But we made her ride it many times. It turned out to one of my favorite rides. And since I went on the "mountains" with her she had to ride the rides I liked the most. HM, DINO, PoTC. I am not very good with riding rides, but I loved riding everything (almost) at WDW. Shhh dont tell DD that, it would ruin her fun of "making" me ride.:p :ROFLOL: :p

Shere_Khan

Do your children get scared easily? Afraid of the dark?

The ride is fairly dark throughout, and I am not sure since the refurb if it has been made scarier or more real. I have heard rumors that it will be a bit scarier now.
I am not an expert on the ride though and have only been on it three times. Hope someone else can help you.

mousefan1972

DD age 4, and DS, age 2 are HM veterans! They rode for the first time just after turning 3 and 1. They weren't afraid at all. We told them while waiting in the queue that it wasn't real, and that there wasn't anything that would hurt them. Now they look forward to seeing their "ghost friends" :lol:
I really hope that the refurb changes don't make the ride too scary. I would hate to not be able to take them on it when we go back next spring. I'll likely go alone first to check it out, then give thumbs up or thumbs down to us all riding as a family. One word of advice: don't force your kids on if they are clearly frightened and are freaking out! We saw so many parents drag their kids on rides that they obviously didn't want to go on. DD was tall enough for ToT last trip, but she took one look and said "no way!" so we didn't push the issue. Good luck and have fun!

Phonedave

I will again use my standard answer to questions like these. It depends on the kids and your judgement of them as a parent.

I have seen older kids freak out, while at the same time mine have been riding HM since they were 2.

Its all about knowing your kids. For example, my yougest (6) has no fear - of anything. While this is a good thing for rides, I do need to make sure she does not overextend herself (like going over her head in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon) My oldest (8) is more sane, however her fear is height and drops. Roller coasters - no problem, dark rides like HM - no problem. Tower of Terror - big problem. So I know, if the ride involves a really big drop, it may be a problem (Everest is pushing the limit for her)

-dave

SweetPea

Like other have said, every kid is different. Mine have been riding since the age of 2. You know your kids best. If it were me, I would hate to skip it. It's one of my favorites too. I say, take them on it. You may be pleasantly surprised. Just tell them to hide their head in your lap if they get scared.

happymom52003

You really will not know unless you try it. I thought for sure my son would hate it the first time (he was four) but it ended up being his favorite ride and still is to this day. My daughter started riding it at 12 months and did fine and still loves it now at 2 1/2.

DisneyGigi

My kids have loved this ride from the first time they ever rode, DS was 3 almost 4 and DD was 2 1/2. I would try it and see. :wave:

NewfieFan

I'm just going to repeat what most people here have already said and say it depends on your kids (sorry no hard fast answer). My 3 year old is terrified of the dark, he even got scared during the dark parts on the TTA! But he can handle fast rides as long as there is no dark spooky tunnels (as he puts it)!:) Every kid is different but I'm sure you know that - you have 2!!!

MommyMoses

Original Poster
Thank, guys!

I think my 6 yo would be OK. Not sure about my 3 yo. We'll let them decide. There is some scary stuff before you get in the Doom Buggy, right? If they decide they want out before getting in the DB, is there a way to exit then?

Of course, I just saw the pictures of the lines for HM with the reopening. We're going tomorrow and if the lines are anything like that, we'll skip it!

Ringo8n24

My kids have loved this ride from the first time they ever rode, DS was 3 almost 4 and DD was 2 1/2. I would try it and see. :wave:

Sounds like mine. She first rode when she was 20 months and to this day it is her favorite ride. She is 5 now and looking forward to riding it before anything else when we get there.

mouselvrmom

I really think it depends on the age that they were first introduced to the ride. My youngest has been going on it since she was 11 months and is fine, but my oldest freaked out at the age of 9. She had only been on it when she was 5 for the first time. Sometimes when they are younger they don't know enought to be scared and then when they are older they realize that it is really scary.

MommyMoses

Original Poster
Well, we didn't even try it. The line was insane since we were there the day after it opened.

For comparison - We went on POTC and Buzz. My almost 3 yo LOVED both and begged to go again! My 6.5 yo buried her head in my lap for both. Odd children!

ronannarbor#1

age for haunted mansion

Hi there,
We found that the new HM is scarier. The intro in the circular room is pretty intense for little ones 8 & under. However, if your child is not afraid of the dark you can hug them and remind them that it is just like a story or movie.
We had our kids count how many "silly" ghosts they could find and compared our count at the end of the ride. They actually had fun despite our car being stopped for a long while in the cemetary due to some problem with the ride.

Overall, it was fun.

ThinkTink721

My kids (9, 7 & 5) were a little apprehensive at first, but I explained the ride to them.
They loved it once they experienced it.
I just kept telling them that it was not real & laughing about everything.
They were fine.

kadesha

My 3 year old LOVED it. It was her favorite ride of all. Of course, I started preparing her 2 months before we left. I found pictures online and videos and explained to her that it was all pretend and a lot of fun. She was scared when the "monsters" would just pop up, but I told her they wanted to play peek-a-boo and she was ok with it. I think if you prepare your children, they'll be fine. Everyone told me that they'd be more terrified of the bug show in the tree of life than HM, and they were!

Fluxuated

My Son was 3 when he went on the ride for the first time, and he loved it. But he doesn't spook easily like his sister that's almost 3 years older than him. She hated it. but came around 2 years later, now she enjoys it, but it's still not her favorite ride.

eekjones

is it really all that different? most people are talking about the guy hanging, but i have always noticed that. i guess they just enhanced it because not many people caught that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom