Western River and Splash Mountain are alike in one unfortunate way

mharrington

Original Poster
Then why is Pooh there? Same could be said for plopping PatF in Fronterland. The difference there is +- 80 years.

The Pooh stories originated in England. And speaking of...

Perhaps just renaming Critter Country to Pooh Corner as it's in......Well, a corner

But I've never been to a park before with just one ride and no eateries, not even a cart. The Hungry Bear Restaurant would have to be renamed/rethemed (it's still themed (albeit vaguely) to the long-gone Country Bears), and I don't believe they have plans to do so.

Musical Mermaid

How would that work, considering that "The Princess and the Frog" is set in early 20th century America? It would seem out of place in what is predominantly a representation of European stories.
The Frog Prince story came from Europe. That aside though, Fantasyland doesn’t need to focus only on European fairytales. They have Dumbo, which was early 20th century America.

Ghost93

I suspect Frontierland will at some point be completely overhauled and rethemed to avoid any potential negative associations with the way Native Americans were treated when white people moved out west.

mharrington

Original Poster
The Frog Prince story came from Europe. That aside though, Fantasyland doesn’t need to focus only on European fairytales. They have Dumbo, which was early 20th century America.

In Florida at least, Dumbo is in Storybook Circus, not in Fantasyland proper. As for "The Princess and the Frog", it doesn't really lend well to Fantasyland, especially given its New Orleans architecture, which is why I have no objections about it being in Disneyland. How would that be able to work in the middle of a castle courtyard in Fantasyland?

Just incorporate the whole area west of the River into New Orleans Square and put a sign in front of this area that says Hundred Acre Wood.

Again, though, the Pooh stories originated in England. They already strain thematic credibility by being in Critter Country. If it were taken over by New Orleans Square, a forest of British origin would look sorely out of place in a section otherwise devoted to the American South.

Mickey5150

Exactly, it's a lot easier to accept something like this in Disneyland because of the ride's proximity to New Orleans Square, although it does bring up the question of the Pooh ride across the way, especially if the "Princess and the Frog" ride was to be integrated into New Orleans Square, as some have speculated. The Pooh ride, themed to classic English stories, strains credibility a bit given that it's in an area otherwise devoted ostensibly to the Deep South. If New Orleans Square annexes Critter Country, the credibility of Pooh will be strained even more. But that's another topic for another thread.
Since Princess and the Frog will include many critters the lands don't need to change. The ride will be the bridge between New Orleans and Critter Country. This wouldn't be out of place for Disneyland which used to have a Fantasyland and Tomorrowland Materhorn, depending on which side of the mountain your line was in.

tl77

I think Disney has 3 pretty good options with Splash mountain

#1 Just "FINALLY" tell people the meaning behind this, and leave the ride alone
truth.jpg

or #2

new cast of folk heros2.jpg

or #3 turn it into America Sings "The Ride"
Sam-and-Ollie-Banner.png

...The "Princess Movie + Thrill Ride" option seems like a bad idea too me though

Introvert

I don't understand why splash mountain has to be changed. As far as " Song of the South" the movie I understand . But, Uncle Remus is not in Splash Mountain. I did research on Uncle Remus and the connection with Brer Rabbit. Uncle Remus was actually a fictional folk hero in the south. He told the stories about rabbit and the fox . The rabbit always out foxed the fox . The rabbit was really a representation of the slaves and the fox were the white people who suppressed the slaves . These stories were published in a local paper by a journalist whose gathered these folk fables from the slaves who used ancestral stories they were told. Some were adult stories and quite violent and dark. Others were simply entertaining stories that taught a lesson about life and values. Therefore I don' t see the connection between the movie and history. Actually what I remember from the movie is the nice black man and "Zippity Doo Da" song ,which is uplifting and positive . As far as Princess and the Frog as a replacement, I only hope the change to the ride is on the same caliber as the present ride.

mharrington

Original Poster
Since Princess and the Frog will include many critters the lands don't need to change. The ride will be the bridge between New Orleans and Critter Country. This wouldn't be out of place for Disneyland which used to have a Fantasyland and Tomorrowland Materhorn, depending on which side of the mountain your line was in.

I can neither confirm nor deny this, but rumor has it that Disneyland's Princess and the Frog ride will be incorporated into New Orleans Square. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to just leave Critter Country with only the Pooh ride since, again, the Pooh stories did not even originate in America, but England.

Roger_the_pianist

I would think it can still be called Critter Country since there is an animal theme, with PATF being a thematic bridge to both lands. I don't see them getting rid of Pooh...

mharrington

Original Poster
I would think it can still be called Critter Country since there is an animal theme, with PATF being a thematic bridge to both lands. I don't see them getting rid of Pooh...

I doubt they will get rid of Pooh, but we have to take into account the rumor that they may or may not incorporate the Princess and the Frog ride into New Orleans Square proper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom