West Side Parking Garage construction

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Mar 20. Ground view of the west parking garage access building. This is a side view. The "front" of the building with the escalators is to the right side of the photo. The parking garage is to the left.

IMG_5124.JPG

Last edited:

Adam N

I noticed today that the Roof was gone on the little scaffolding walkway that leads from the garage on the Planet Hollywood side... Does that mean they're finishing the actual 2nd floor walkway soon?

WDWtraveler

I noticed today that the Roof was gone on the little scaffolding walkway that leads from the garage on the Planet Hollywood side... Does that mean they're finishing the actual 2nd floor walkway soon?

I think it means they are finished with work on the 2nd floor walkway from the garage to the access building, so they no longer need the overhead "roof" to protect guests walking at ground level. There is still a lot of work to be done on the access building. Can't use the 2nd floor walkway yet, as the escalators and elevators in the access building are not ready for use yet.

Last edited:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, Apr 4. With overhead construction on the West Side parking garage main access building completed, the scaffolding protection structure for the guest walkway has been removed (see extreme left side of this photo. All that remains is a temporary barrier fence. Here is a view down that service road along the garage, with a view of the other accessing building still under construction.

IMG_5205.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, Apr 12. It appears the alternate access building for the West Side parking garage (near Splitsville) will not have escalators. Inside the access building, there is a bank of 3 elevators and a staircase. Of course, there are escalators and more elevators inside the parking garage directly across from the second story entrance to this access building.

IMG_5287.JPG

In this second floor view from the parking garage, you can see the three elevator doors on the left. The building's staircase is on the right.

IMG_5290.JPG

DisneyCane

I parked in the garage for the first time on Friday. A bunch of the parking space availability sensors are not working correctly. I passed several green lights with cars parked in the spots.

mm121

Photo update as of Sunday, Apr 12. It appears the alternate access building for the West Side parking garage (near Splitsville) will not have escalators. Inside the access building, there is a bank of 3 elevators and a staircase. Of course, there are escalators and more elevators inside the parking garage directly across from the second story entrance to this access building.

View attachment 89675
In this second floor view from the parking garage, you can see the three elevator doors on the left. The building's staircase is on the right.

View attachment 89676
This seems kinda silly considering the shear number of spaces in the garage.

Probably skipped them due to maintenance savings, possible safety issues as this area isn't under the constant eye of staff.

Next Big Thing

Did they wall off the the garage side of the access street too?

they really are making sure that people physically can't cross that road on foot.
nah, it's really not that hard. They have a lot of "barriers" set up to block people from going down the road, but I could easily get through as it's mostly just the movable bushes or in some cases just cones.

I have a feeling once the garage is finally 100% complete, we'll see multiple gates installed to block people from going down the road.

mm121

nah, it's really not that hard. They have a lot of "barriers" set up to block people from going down the road, but I could easily get through as it's mostly just the movable bushes or in some cases just cones.

I have a feeling once the garage is finally 100% complete, we'll see multiple gates installed to block people from going down the road.
i dont think they can gate off the road, as isn't this road one of the access to the what is probably a taxi stand, that thing with all the lanes on the east side of the west garage.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, April 19. Additional photos of the landscaping installed around the West Side garage pedestrian access building.

The below photo shows the temporary walkway from the parking garage (extreme right side of photo) looking towards the entrance to West Side, behind the pedestrian access building on the left. This street is service access only, with the overhead walkway tall enough to permit semi-tractor trailers to pass underneath. The roadway here is parallel but separate from the current garage entrance. The opposite end of this service road travels under the second pedestrian access building and comes out next to Disney Quest. This service road will be limited access ("gated" perhaps). No taxi stand in this service road area. Taxi stands will probably be outside of this area, in the yet to be developed plaza at the Buena Visa Drive overhead crosswalk and the existing road behind Cirque du Soleil, where this service road opens into.

IMG_5295.JPG

An overview of the service road entrance (see pavement arrows on the right) and the temporary entrance to West Side attractions. The plaza for the garage pedestrian access building is almost complete, with some landscaping to be finished and the final corner of the plaza to be paved when the fence is removed (center foreground). In the distance, Disney Springs is taking shape in the old ground level parking area.

IMG_5308.JPG

Garage pedestrian access building and plaza landscaping.

IMG_5306.JPG

Last edited:

maxairmike

Honestly, given all the arrows and lanes in that "service road" entrance from the intersection, and how the current garage entrance/exit is structured, it looks to me like the "service" road is likely the garage/lot entrance from that intersection and will take you around to the other side of the garage to enter it or the parking lot on the other side. It looks like the current entrance/exit is designed to really handle outgoing traffic entirely once everything is completed. They wouldn't have 4 lanes with traffic markings like that if the intent is only for service traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom