Well look what I stumbled upon...

nmj91385

What's the problem with this? I will admit that I don't 100% agree with Toy Story being number one per say, but it was a good movie. Most of the movies were disney, so what's wrong with that?

WhatJaneSays

I'm not so sure about Toy Story either. It's one of my favs, but it's a hard sell for #1 in my mind. I suppose that there are different qualifications on what makes not just a animation great but a great movie.

Personally I judge on three criteria: story, achievement and timelessness.
Story - it can be an old story retold or a new idea but it has to make you really believe it.
Achievement - either technical or topical, you have to have that feeling of "wow, how did they do that?" or "whoa, did they really do that?"
Timelessness - not that cheesy "it's a classic, it's so timeless" sort. If you can watch it twice in a row and are still tempted to watch it again no mater how old the movie is.

Ratatouille and The Incredables would be off my list. So is the South Park movie (but not by much surprisingly!). If movies like the TNBC is on the list then why not Who framed Roger Rabbit?, which it still one of the greatest "suspension of disbelief" movies and still a technical wonder. Not all of the movies are 100% kid-friendly; but Princess Mononoke made the list without Akira? huh? I would have put Iron Giant in the top 10.

lpet11984

I can see Toy Story being #1...it really was ground breaking when it first came out; a standard setting movie for all the computer animation to follow. The story combined inside mild adult humor (in that adults would get it but kids might not, not R rated humor) along with outright relatability (everyone can relate to being a kid). I don't know if I personally would put it #1, but I can definitely see it earning that spot.

k.hunter30

I thought the Simpson's movie was terrible, and I was a big fan of the show a few years ago. I would have placed some movies like Aladdin and definitely Sleeping Beauty (that wasn't on there, was it?) higher than The Simpson's. :shrug: And what about Howl's Moving Castle. That was well-received, wasn't it?

Boray

Yup, the Simpson's Movie was terrible, 2 hours of my life I'll never get back (yes, it was that bad.) But the rest of the list, I don't have a problem with it. I would have also included "Howl's Moving Castle" in there somewhere, it's really very good.

Otherwise, I think the list is fine. I'm not sure why the OP was so unhappy. :shrug:

We all have our own opinions and our own "Top" whatever lists.....

Uponastar

I don't see the problem with this list either.
Personally, I would have put either The Lion King or Finding Nemo as Number One, but Toy Story is not a bad choice.

I don't see why you'd be upset to your stomach....how many of those films were Disney films? That's should be considered quite an accomplishment since probably 75+% of them are Disney.

Toy Story was selected #1 because it was truly innovative at the time. No one believed that computer animation could be done to support an entire feature length film at the time. It truly set the standard for all computer animated films that have come after it. The characters are truly amazing and the film really does tap into everything that children have always dreamed about: their toys being alive.

The only other film that I think should've fought for that top spot is Snow White, but in the end, this movie was nothing more than the first color animated feature and that's about it. There are at least 3 full length animated features that were developed before Snow White ever came out, but since they were created in Europe and Mexico they are normally overlooked.

Little Mermaid is also more important than the list shows. It kickstarted the animation revival of the late 80's/early 90's. Without Mermaid, Disney probably does not go on their string of blockbuster animated films.

Also, though I at times argue the point of importance, where is Roger Rabbit on this list? I think Nemo, the Incredibles, Toy Story 2 and Ratatoille should fall much lower on this list than they do. They weren't exactly groundbreaking films. They did have solid stories and great characters, but they weren't much more than the greatness Pixar had already shown us. I love Lion King as well, but I believe that it's a bit higher than it should be - Snow White, Little Mermaid and Iron Giant should all be higher on the list than they are in my opinion in regards to what they brought to the animation industry.

k.hunter30

Me neither.

Is anyone able to copy-paste the list so we can have a lookey and join in???

25. The Simpsons
24. Dumbo (1941)
23. The Triplets of Belleville (2003)
22. Lady and the Tramp (1955)
21. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
20. The Jungle Book (1967)
19. Princess Mononoke (1999)
18. Pinocchio (1940)
17. Toy Story 2 (1999)
16. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
15. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999)
14. The Iron Giant (1999)
13. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
12. Ratatouille (2007)
11. Finding Nemo (2003)
10. Fantasia (1941)
9. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
8. Spirited Away (2002)
7. Cinderella (1950)
6. The Little Mermaid (1989)
5. Bambi (1942)
4. The Incredibles (2004)
3. Shrek (2001)
2. The Lion King (1994)
1. Toy Story (1995)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom