Well Crap!

Chip Workman

So we`ve been planning this trip for over 2 years and we`re finally within 2 months and my son decides to tear his ACL. Looks like we will be needing an ECV for our trip. I see WDW recognizes 5 different companies. I`m looking for a recommendation on which one to use. I know they also rent them in each park but he will need one outside the parks as well. Thanks in advance.

slappy magoo

Buena Vista will probably be the most convenient but it also seems to be the most expensive being as it's on property.

I went on the BBB website. None of them is "accredited" by the BBB so I checked ratings.

I couldn't find Best Price Scooters and Strollers on the BB website at all.

Scooterbug had no BBB rating at all, but they do seem to have the best prices for longer trips, not so good if it's a 1 or 2 night trip, but since you've been planning this trip for 2 years I doubt it's a quickie?

Apple Scooters has an "F" rating by the BBB and they specify 6 complaints filed against the business, with a few of them getting no reply at all from the business.

Buena Vista has a BBB rating of A+, meaning they either have few to no complaints, OR they handle what complaints they do get in a timely manner, or both

Were I in your shoes, I'd opt for Buena Vista. Good luck and I hope it's still as enjoyable a trip as possible.

Well that was helpful
As was this reply, by leaps and bounds.

Upvote 0

UncleMike101

So we`ve been planning this trip for over 2 years and we`re finally within 2 months and my son decides to tear his ACL. Looks like we will be needing an ECV for our trip. I see WDW recognizes 5 different companies. I`m looking for a recommendation on which one to use. I know they also rent them in each park but he will need one outside the parks as well. Thanks in advance.
I'm using Gold Mobility Scooters.
https://goldmobilityscooters.com/
This is my first trip to WDW where I'm forced to use an ECV so I've done my homework.
I've researched all of the rental outlets and settled on GMS due to their reviews and postings from satisfied customers on other sites.
All of their rentals are six months old or less and come with a passel of free extras that are an extra charge with other companies.
Another plus is that you don't have to pay until your scooter is delivered to you at your WDW resort or any other hotel/motel in the Orlando area.

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

Buena Vista will probably be the most convenient but it also seems to be the most expensive being as it's on property.

I went on the BBB website. None of them is "accredited" by the BBB so I checked ratings.

I couldn't find Best Price Scooters and Strollers on the BB website at all.

Scooterbug had no BBB rating at all, but they do seem to have the best prices for longer trips, not so good if it's a 1 or 2 night trip, but since you've been planning this trip for 2 years I doubt it's a quickie?

Apple Scooters has an "F" rating by the BBB and they specify 6 complaints filed against the business, with a few of them getting no reply at all from the business.

Buena Vista has a BBB rating of A+, meaning they either have few to no complaints, OR they handle what complaints they do get in a timely manner, or both

Were I in your shoes, I'd opt for Buena Vista. Good luck and I hope it's still as enjoyable a trip as possible.

As was this reply, by leaps and bounds.
This is probably the most educated reply I have ever read. Good info for us all. Never know when it could be one of us in need!

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

This is my first trip to WDW where I'm forced to use an ECV so I've done my homework.
I've researched all of the rental outlets and settled on GMS due to their reviews and postings from satisfied customers on other sites.
All of their rentals are six months old or less and come with a passel of free extras that are an extra charge with other companies.
Another plus is that you don't have to pay until your scooter is delivered to you at your WDW resort or any other hotel/motel in the Orlando area.
Another very well researched post.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The page reads like a good value, please let us know how they work out. Seems like the only 2 negatives would be
1: Because they're not one of WDW's preferred outside vendors, you can't arrange a drop-off/pick-up without your being there or someone in your party, so it can't just be dropped off at concierge or bell services, not by the company when you arrive and not by you on your checkout day. Not necessarily a bad thing just a little chunk of your trip arranging the transfer of the scooter to you.
2: Their fees seem to be the same up to the first full week. So someone at WDW for a short stay will pay the same as someone staying for a full week, with some per-day pricing after the first week.

Upvote 0

UncleMike101

The page reads like a good value, please let us know how they work out. Seems like the only 2 negatives would be
1: Because they're not one of WDW's preferred outside vendors, you can't arrange a drop-off/pick-up without your being there or someone in your party, so it can't just be dropped off at concierge or bell services, not by the company when you arrive and not by you on your checkout day. Not necessarily a bad thing just a little chunk of your trip arranging the transfer of the scooter to you.
2: Their fees seem to be the same up to the first full week. So someone at WDW for a short stay will pay the same as someone staying for a full week, with some per-day pricing after the first week.
1. Yup....
They will text me the night before I fly out and I'm supposed to reply to that text when I board the DME and they claim they'll be at my resort when the bus arrives.
Others, on other Disney sites, who've rented from them have confirmed that this is what happened.
Nick, at DMS, also said that they would pick up the scooter at any time that I designate.
2, The fee is a flat rate for seven days which includes the insurance, pickup/delivery, and any customer service that may be needed 24 hrs a day.
Since I'm staying for nine days I was charged $10.00 per day for the two extra days.
I'm a hard sell and I'm satisfied that they are a good deal, for me at least.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

1. Yup....
They will text me the night before I fly out and I'm supposed to reply to that text when I board the DME and they claim they'll be at my resort when the bus arrives.
Others, on other Disney sites, who've rented from them have confirmed that this is what happened.
Nick, at DMS, also said that they would pick up the scooter at any time that I designate.
2, The fee is a flat rate for seven days which includes the insurance, pickup/delivery, and any customer service that may be needed 24 hrs a day.
Since I'm staying for nine days I was charged $10.00 per day for the two extra days.
I'm a hard sell and I'm satisfied that they are a good deal, for me at least.
No it definitely sounds like a good deal for 9 nights. I was thinking more about someone who was only staying for a couple of days, they'd pay the same as you're paying for your first week. To that end, it might not necessarily be a good value for everyone...but then again, with all the extras they offer free, if you needed or wanted those extras and would otherwise pay for them, it might be a better deal for some people.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Looks like we will be needing an ECV for our trip.
Bummer man :(

How old is your son? I think ECVs have an age requirement and a wheel chair may be needed in its place. Depending on what's going on with his knee, a wheelchair maybe a better choice since the leg supports can keep his leg straight, having it bent for long periods of time may not be advised (I'm guessing, as I'm not a doctor).

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Before you go, read up on the guest with disabilities guide Disney has. When you get to the parks, go to guest services, or City Hall in MK and you can get him and your family signed up for the Disability Access which will help you out. Disneys CM's are very helpful when you are experiencing the parks with a family member thats injured. CM's will stop ride cars to enable you to load and unload easily.

Upvote 0

UncleMike101

No it definitely sounds like a good deal for 9 nights. I was thinking more about someone who was only staying for a couple of days, they'd pay the same as you're paying for your first week. To that end, it might not necessarily be a good value for everyone...but then again, with all the extras they offer free, if you needed or wanted those extras and would otherwise pay for them, it might be a better deal for some people.
Yup....
It wouldn't benefit short term visitors but WDW is geared for customers that stay a week or more and that appears to be GMS's target group.

Upvote 0

bee

Here I am!

I used Scooterbug for my last trip because the price was the best for the model I needed. Their customer service was great and I got an actual phone call from a real person a few days before to confirm. Apparently the scooter I initially selected was good for loading into cars but had a shorter battery life, so they suggested I switch to a model that couldn't fit in a car but had a longer battery life, which ended up being a good idea. I would recommend them and would use them again if I needed one.

Upvote 0

Disneyfreak Jen

I hobbled around Disney a few years ago with a torn ACL, I had surgery a couple months later.
I didn’t get a scooter. What did help me was bringing Ziplock gallon size bags and icing each afternoon and night when I got back to the room. You can get ice from the ice machines. I rested as I needed to and (obviously) walked a bit slower than my usual Disney pace.
Good luck with the trip and the surgery. Kids do great, and see if you can get the ice machine post op. It’s a cooler that you fell with ice and has a pad that you strap around the knee. You plug it in and t pumps ice water continuously over the knee. Lifesaver!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Bummer man :(

How old is your son? I think ECVs have an age requirement and a wheel chair may be needed in its place. Depending on what's going on with his knee, a wheelchair maybe a better choice since the leg supports can keep his leg straight, having it bent for long periods of time may not be advised (I'm guessing, as I'm not a doctor).

This. I severed (no repair possible) my ACL, and tore my MCL & meniscus so was in my immobilizer for 6 weeks, with my leg extended. Do scooters have a leg support so you can keep the leg extended? If they do fine. If not, an old-fashioned push wheelchair might be the better option. I moved fairly well with my cane by 8 weeks (couldn't use crutches because I had an infant at the time) so the wheelchair/scooter might only be needed for long distances. I only used a wheelchair during the first few days while flying home(injured it on vacation) and on my first doctor's visit/MRI when I first got home.

You may end up deciding, once the day is near, that you don't need the scooter, or that a daily rental of a scooter or wheelchair is all that is needed. But it's nice to have made arrangements in advance. Good luck with the trip and surgery!

And the ice machine is a good investment, and as another poster stated, is more convenient than ice when at home - we got one for my husband post knee replacementa couple of years ago, and have loaned it out half a dozen times already. Your insurance might cover the cost. Just be sure to put a waterproof pad under it as you can splash while filling it if you're not careful.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom