Weather in January?

kasey1988

Original Poster
Looking at booking the4 night on the dream for January 5th 2015. What can we expect weather wise in orlando and I the cruise? Warm enough to swim on board I hope!

Last edited:

Disneyfalcon

As you get further south it tends to warm up. The start of your cruise could be great, could be cold, I'd bet on chilly. I've been on a January cruise where we froze in Florida and felt great at Castaway Cay. Then I've been on another where the weather was great in Florida and just as good at Castaway Cay.

The Bahamas should be warm, but the water will be cold.

On the ship the pools are heated, so the water will be warmer onboard. :)

A W Reezy

I'm curious on this as well. I always had the theory that January would be the best time to go on a cruise! Take a week out of Winter and replace it with Florida/Bahamas. Plus cruises seem to be cheaper in January.

maelstrom98

Not sure what the weather will be like in the Bahamas, but we did do WDW in January one year. The week before the weather was forecasted to be 60s. Two days before we left a cold front came in and the weather changed. It ended up being high 40s. It was COLD. It sleeted one morning actually! I had to buy gloves in the park actually. Going out at night was tough because the sun was gone, so we doubled up and layered up as much as possible.

That said, I get the feeling that is not the norm at all. I think the best thing to do once you book is watch the weather very carefully a few days before. That was what saved us. I could tell when we were there families had not been paying attention to the weather and were stuck in shorts and tank tops in the 30 degree weather. No fun.

A W Reezy

Not sure what the weather will be like in the Bahamas, but we did do WDW in January one year. The week before the weather was forecasted to be 60s. Two days before we left a cold front came in and the weather changed. It ended up being high 40s. It was COLD. It sleeted one morning actually! I had to buy gloves in the park actually. Going out at night was tough because the sun was gone, so we doubled up and layered up as much as possible.

That said, I get the feeling that is not the norm at all. I think the best thing to do once you book is watch the weather very carefully a few days before. That was what saved us. I could tell when we were there families had not been paying attention to the weather and were stuck in shorts and tank tops in the 30 degree weather. No fun.

Thanks for the insight. My wife has tried to talk me into going in January for a family vacation because of the light crowds. I tried to tell her, even though it's Florida, it could still be quite chilly!

maelstrom98

If you're up for it and prepared it can be very nice. The crowds were very light and we walked right on Toy Story Midway Mania. That's when we knew it really was going to be slow. But Splash Mountain was closed for refurb, and we love that ride too much to go back in January.

We're from the Northeast, so we're used to cold winters, but there's something unsettling about wearing three pairs of socks and gloves while standing next to a palm tree....

rick3236

We did a January cruise a few years ago and the weather was perfect. It was chilly in Orlando, but nice in the Bahamas. At Castaway Cay, the morning was a little chilly, we were all wearing hoodies in our pictures, but the day warmed up nicely and we were able to go in the water. The secret is to be prepared for all weather and be flexible.

PolynesianPrincess

We went in February for a 4 night on the Dream. Castaway was nice and warm but the water was COLD! Too cold for me! Then again this is coming from someone who thinks anything less than 70 is chilly :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom