Weary About A Cruise...

lisamonster85

Original Poster
I am getting married in October 2011... and we are definitely staying at WDW for 7-10 nights, but I really want to go on a cruise, but people keep scaring me away because they say I can go missing or that the ship can wreck... I really want to have a memorable experience and always wanted to go on a cruise... any suggestions?? Has anyone gone on both DCL and maybe Carnival... I just want to make the right decision!! Thanks!!

MaxsDad

I haven't been on a cruise, but the odds of that happening to you are very, very, slim. Think of the thousands and thousands of people who are on cruises this very minute. Outside of people cruising on very small charter boats, or cruising in the area of Samali Pirates, I assure you the vast majority of them will be OK tommorrow, except for stomach viruses and sea sickness, and maybe a hangover or two thousand. I would think with impending nuptuals, these type of events should be the least of your worries (See below for where I am coming from here). Just advice, but do want you both feel led to do, and allocate your energy to other matters. I could die at WDW next year, or be on a boat that wrecks there too, but that won't stop me from going.

I hope someone can give you good advice regarding the other part of your question. My daughter just got married in July. I am obviously a Disney freak, but I told them I thought Carnival would be better for a first-timer, and a honeymooner, more couple oriented. Of course, I don't know first hand though. I want to cruise next year myself, and I will go DCL if I go at all.

Tinkerbell 8

I have been on 7 cruises, one on holland american (dont recomend unless you are over 60) and 6 on Princess. Obviously i am a disney freak, however cruises are my second favorite vacation. First i love all the food, ranging from burgers and pizza to filet, salmon, and lobster. I also love how laid back it is compared to running around the parks at disney. I love lounging around by the pool and going to dinner whenever i fel like it. The shows are absolutely amazing, and there is always something going on to keep you occupied during days at sea. I also love being able to see different locations on one vacation, the excursions are amazing and range from very adventurous like snorkling with sharks and zip lining, to taking boat tours to watch whales or just sitting by the beach. I would definetly look into taking a cruise, they are just as addicting as trips to disney. hope that helped, anymore questions just message me.

Disneyfalcon

I've been on five Disney cruises, all of them amazing. Cruises are wonderful vacations. You can relax as much as you want or you can go go go every minute of the day.

The adult only areas of the ship are awesome. A pool with no kids splashing you! Adult only night shows and restaurants! I could go on.:)

Disney is a wonderful cruise for families and adults only. I've done both. My next one is in January, all adults!:)

RobnRachal

I heard many "horror stories", as well, before we set sail on our first cruise. Which is why the only cruise I was willing to do was Disney. I did a lot of research before we booked and felt very comfortable with the feedback about DCL. We set sail last year for our 15th Anniversary and absolutely loved every minute of it!!! I would highly recommend DCL, and rest easy knowing you are very well taken care of.

Phonedave

I am getting married in October 2011... and we are definitely staying at WDW for 7-10 nights, but I really want to go on a cruise, but people keep scaring me away because they say I can go missing or that the ship can wreck... I really want to have a memorable experience and always wanted to go on a cruise... any suggestions?? Has anyone gone on both DCL and maybe Carnival... I just want to make the right decision!! Thanks!!

Go missing ? How? By falling overboard? By being left behind?

Really, it is quite safe as long as you have some commong sense.

I have been on 2 Disney cruises as a single parent with my two young girls, and we all made it back each time. In fact we are going again this July.

You do want to stay with a major line. It may turn out to be a bad crusie from a food or entertainment standpoint, but you should at least have decent accomodations.

Where you get into trouble are those free "cruises" you get for listening to a timeshare sales pitch.

-dave

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
We went on DCL as our first one every. It was just my wife and I at sea for four nights. When we first got on board we where very worried about all the kids running everywhere. Once the ship set sail everything changed and we never had a problem with the kids. We stay mustly in the adult areas and went to the adult beach at the Disney Island. We are going again in 2011 for 7 nights, but this time with some family and friends (grand kids, 5 and 3).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've been on five Disney cruises, all of them amazing. Cruises are wonderful vacations. You can relax as much as you want or you can go go go every minute of the day.

The adult only areas of the ship are awesome. A pool with no kids splashing you! Adult only night shows and restaurants! I could go on.:)

Disney is a wonderful cruise for families and adults only. I've done both. My next one is in January, all adults!:)
Well....I would not really classify our group as "adults":D

palmage

Stay far far away from Carnival.
It's kinda like the Jerry Springer Show of the cruise lines.
We've been on 3 Carnival cruises and all have been the same.
Pop Warner kids are better behaved.
RCCL is our favorite.

westie

I hated the idea of being trapped on a ship.

Now I've been on 3 disney cruises and would rather that then be trapped in the parks full of texting kids. Go figure? Never had a better(worry free) time!

shoppingnut

I have been on 20 plus cruises and can tell you in the grand scheme of things going missing or a wreck is a rarity, but like with anything else, the media plays it up so it sounds like it's happening every day.

I have been on DCL, Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Holland America, Princess and Seaborne. If you want to contact me to get information or even talk about cruises in general, I would be most happy to help you out. I've sailed on Disney twice and will be going on the new Dream next month. Also, please feel free to contact me even if you just want to book Disney World for your honeymoon.

MaryJaneP

Worried about going missing? Really? I'm on a cruise right now and .........................................................................................

Disneykidder

We have only been on one cruise and it was our honeymoon. It was amazing. The food, our cabin with a full balcony (highly recommend), the entertainment, sun were all excelloent. We just haven't been back on one due to kids and the such but we can't wait to go on a Disney Cruise in a few years when our youngest will be at least 3 or 4. (He is currently in my belly :))

Missing? Am I on Candid Camera? The liklihood of that happening are slim to none unless you plan on jumping ship.

Do your HW and decide on one that works for you. Look at ports of call, excursions, etc.,

mommamouse411

the thing about cruises you either love them or hate them.....I LOVE THEM...

they are RELAXING vacations...

and there's soooo much good food..

and it also nice that you stop at several places to get off on and explore...

but when I was on the Wonder...I did not want to get off...only at castaway cay.

on Carnival..You want to get off...I only had alot of fun on carnival because I was drinking DOTD all day every day...but the shows were not funny to me...and as far as food, some ships excellent, some ships not so good...service is mediocre...but thats my opinion you know...

I was never scared about the ship sinking or going overboard.....and i had a verandah on my last cruise...:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom