wearing face masks?

CaptainAmerica

No, that’s because doctors are lying about hydroxychloroquine.
Actually the death rate isn't going up and is actually declining because doctors are actually administering the hydroxycloroquine. Doctors on TV don't like the drug. Doctors in the hospitals are issuing it left and right.

Chi84

Premium Member
We most certainly can not agree with item number 1

Countless times I have seen people driving alone in cars or walking alone on streets or waiting alone at bus stops. What in the world are these people doing wearing masks??
Fear of getting something from another, nope...... Fear of giving something to another, nope..... Mindlessly wearing just to wear, yep.
It could be that they’re following the protocol for mask-wearing. According to the experts, you aren’t supposed to touch the masks until you can wash your hands thoroughly after doing so in order to avoid self-contamination. I’m not sure about all of this pulling the mask up and down between bites or sips. But it seems the experts have decided that even “half-mask” efforts are better than none.

I get what you mean by virtue-signaling though. Some people get a feeling of power from being able to tell others what to do or showing them up. I cringe when people advise others to “remind” people to wear a mask properly.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Let's find common ground first. Can't we agree to the following:

1. No one wants to wear a mask.
2. Everyone wants to go back to the way things were.

IMO, no one is "virtue signaling" concerning masks. Since we're all in this together, the quickest way to return to the way things were is to take every precaution no matter how onerous it may be. If we all take this seriously, we can *hopefully* put this behind us. Might some folks be more vocal? Sure. But it's just a reflection of the fact that the quickest way for America to move forward is for everyone to band together, put the "opinions" about masks on the backburner, and wear the damn thing until we're done and through with this. Like everyone else, I want to go to bars, restaurants, get-togethers, movies, etc. We can't do these things if there's say, 70% compliance with the masks, social distancing, etc.

Get well.
Virtue signaling is not virtue signaling in and of itself when someone simply wears a mask. It IS virtue signaling when people act like it makes them a "better person" than someone else because they choose to wear one. My problem is not with people wearing masks. My problem is with the people that are self righteous about it. The same way people that are vegans can be self righteous about that. The same way that non smokers can be self righteous about that. The same way that people who are health freaks can be self righteous about that. NOBODY is purposely "endangering" another person but their is this heir of self righteousness among the mask crowd that makes it seem like people that disagree with them are purposely trying to endanger other people. Virtue signalers cast aspersions on others regardless if what they're saying is true or not. They exist on both sides of the spectrum too. They're also those who act like it makes them "tough" or "brave" for not wearing one and have this braggadocio attitude and that also is an heir of self righteousness. I despise that on both sides. The facts of life is that people make different decisions and America seems to have a new generation that can't come to terms with that. Could it be considered inconsiderate to not wear a mask by some? Yes. Is speeding also a "danger to others"? Yes. Do people ride down the road speeding thinking they don't care if the kill someone? No. It's a matter of intent with the virtue signalers that they just can't get over and that's what I'm tired of hearing about.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Am I correct in that you are assuming you got the virus from your friend?

If so, it sounds like you were close in range and not wearing masks. Talking spreads particles. Masks are supposed to protect people from spreading their germs when they talk, cough and sneeze. Distancing is obviously the preferred method, but when that's not always possible (in a theme park or showing someone an app on a phone) masks are helpful.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
We just assume he had it first since he showed symptoms first but it could have been me that gave it to him but neither of us know the actual origin in the true sense. The crazy thing is on the same weekend he was around 9 other people for a prolonged period of time and literally none of them got it. I also was around 4 more people because I picked my wife and some family members up at the airport and drove them home for 45 minutes and ate with them after church the next day and even helped my uncle install a microwave the next day for maybe an hour and none of them got it from me. Oddly enough, they had been to FL for a spur of the moment beach trip and none of them got it except my wife.

Jon81uk

Actually the death rate isn't going up and is actually declining because doctors are actually administering the hydroxycloroquine. Doctors on TV don't like the drug. Doctors in the hospitals are issuing it left and right.

Looks like the deaths in the USA are going up

But believe what you want

G00fyDad

Looks like the deaths in the USA are going up

But believe what you want

Just put him on your ignore list. I was stupid enough to click the "show hidden content" and saw that insane comment from him. I work in healthcare and my wife works in a hospital. The doctors are not handing hydroxycloroquine out left and right. Dear God! :banghead: They are educated enough to know that if used for purposes it was not designed for it can kill you. Sometimes the sheer desire of people to do whatever they want despite the multitude of warnings from those in the medical field (doctors and scientists) is staggering. I tell myself that nothing will surprise me anymore then I see statements like his. :facepalm: That is the last time I click on the "show hidden content" spot. :oops:

Last edited:

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Just put him on your ignore list. I was stupid enough to click the "show hidden content" and saw that insane comment from him. I work in healthcare and my wife works in a hospital. The doctors are not handing hydroxycloroquine out left and right. Dear God! :banghead: They are educated enough to now that if used for purposes it was not designed for it can kill you. Sometimes the sheer desire of people to do whatever they want despite the multitude of warnings from those in the medical field (doctors and scientists) is staggering. I tell myself that nothing will surprise me anymore then I see statements like his. :facepalm: That is the last time I click on the "show hidden content" spot. :oops:
I totally agree that they're not handing out that medicine. When they diagnosed me they literally just told me to take ibuprofen and Tylenol and they done the same for my buddy. He literally asked them about that medicine and they told him they only use it in case of an actual emergency. It's absolutely not a first option. It's sorta like if somebody gets a bad cut on their leg you try to treat it with something simple at first but if it progresses to gangrene then you decide to amputate but amputation is only in case of an extreme emergency. That medicine is apparently like that. It has never been mentioned to me by the myriads of people that have called asking about me.

Club Cooloholic

What I read is that you need to get a certain amount of the viral load to actually become infected - that's where the 10 minutes is supposed to come in. It's what the CDC means by prolonged contact with an infected individual. That's why just walking by someone with the virus is unlikely to cause an infection. If you walk by someone on the sidewalk who is infected with the virus and that person sneezes in your face, that's a different story, but I doubt that happens often. Aren't they doing tracking based on how they believe the virus actually spreads?
I suppose you track what you can. Its impossible to know who you had contact with, without a mask just walking around. Doesn't mean it didn't spread that way, some of the folks who have died working as bus drivers etc, I am sure we can't track for all of them who got them sick originally.

Chi84

Premium Member
I suppose you track what you can. Its impossible to know who you had contact with, without a mask just walking around. Doesn't mean it didn't spread that way, some of the folks who have died working as bus drivers etc, I am sure we can't track for all of them who got them sick originally.
Are any of the experts saying that it spreads by just walking by someone not wearing a mask? I suppose anything is possible, but the CDC is still saying you need some type of prolonged contact with an infected individual. I suppose a bus ride would qualify. Also, they are still saying that you can get the virus from touching a surface touched by an infected individual and then touching your face, although it's not thought to be the main way it spreads. That could explain bus drivers, grocery clerks, etc. getting sick because they have so much more exposure to the public.

I think people need to be cautious and do whatever is being advised right now (masks, hand-washing, staying home, social distancing), but some seem to be over-the-top fearful. I've lived 65 years and I've never had a stranger sneeze or cough directly in my face while waking by. It can happen, but it's not likely. I think a person's energy is better spent worrying about how to avoid large indoor gatherings.

The Mom

Premium Member
I have deleted numerous posts for being political, insulting, argumentative, etc.

If they continue the posters involved will no longer be able to participate in this discussion.

eliza61nyc

We most certainly can not agree with item number 1

Countless times I have seen people driving alone in cars or walking alone on streets or waiting alone at bus stops. What in the world are these people doing wearing masks??
Fear of getting something from another, nope...... Fear of giving something to another, nope..... Mindlessly wearing just to wear, yep.
??? more like simply forgot to take it off before getting into the car. I've done it and certainly not wearing it "just to wear it".

Usually occurs after I've gone to the supermarket, in the parking lot I simply go about putting food in trunk and then hope in the ride. some times I don't take it off if I know I'm going to make another stop, especially since I tend to do all my errands together. so it's not unusual for me to hit the supermarket, bank, dry cleaners and home depot all in the same run.

so pretty much it's a bit simple for me.
1) I've seen what covid 19 can do and since I can't predict with certainly if I'll be in the no sympton/minor symptom group I'll try my best to use all available tools toward prevention. social distancing, mask, handwashing, sanitizing.
2) I don't believe or maybe I'm just very optimistic that this will last forever. As of right now I don't think I'll break down by not be able to go to a play or baseball game.
3) most people who wear a mask are simply trying to do what they can to help survive a horrid situation that they have very little control over. doesn't make them "sheep" or paranoid or any thing else, they simply are trying to be courteous and do what is being asked.
4) yes as a widow, I can say that my wonderful hubby would have volunteered to die alone before ever bring harm to someone he loved.

it is a horrible situation all around.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Just put him on your ignore list. I was stupid enough to click the "show hidden content" and saw that insane comment from him. I work in healthcare and my wife works in a hospital. The doctors are not handing hydroxycloroquine out left and right. Dear God! :banghead: They are educated enough to know that if used for purposes it was not designed for it can kill you. Sometimes the sheer desire of people to do whatever they want despite the multitude of warnings from those in the medical field (doctors and scientists) is staggering. I tell myself that nothing will surprise me anymore then I see statements like his. :facepalm: That is the last time I click on the "show hidden content" spot. :oops:

lol, I giggled when I read that also. One of my best buds has lupus and she says since covid she gets a lecture from her immunologist about how this will NOT do anything for covid, and to make sure she's still taking extra precautions. and she actually needs it. SMH.

i will say this highlights one of the issues is that there is so much changing information swirling around.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Are any of the experts saying that it spreads by just walking by someone not wearing a mask? I suppose anything is possible, but the CDC is still saying you need some type of prolonged contact with an infected individual. I suppose a bus ride would qualify. Also, they are still saying that you can get the virus from touching a surface touched by an infected individual and then touching your face, although it's not thought to be the main way it spreads. That could explain bus drivers, grocery clerks, etc. getting sick because they have so much more exposure to the public.

I think people need to be cautious and do whatever is being advised right now (masks, hand-washing, staying home, social distancing), but some seem to be over-the-top fearful. I've lived 65 years and I've never had a stranger sneeze or cough directly in my face while waking by. It can happen, but it's not likely. I think a person's energy is better spent worrying about how to avoid large indoor gatherings.
I think the fact they want us to wear masks mean it can. If I was walking past you in a crowded sidewalk and I was talking on my phone, and you were as well I would think it could spread that way. Given how easily it has spread this seems very conceivable.

Last edited:

John park hopper

lol, I giggled when I read that also. One of my best buds has lupus and she says since covid she gets a lecture from her immunologist about how this will NOT do anything for covid, and to make sure she's still taking extra precautions. and she actually needs it. SMH.

i will say this highlights one of the issues is that there is so much changing information swirling around.
The wife has high cholesterol (really high) simply can't control by diet or normal cholesterol meds. Forced to use a medication she injects every 2 weeks --works wonders but lowers her immune system. As your friend she is very aware of covid precautions

Herdman

At this point it really doesn't matter how anyone "feels" about masks. They stink, and nobody "wants" to wear one. But if you're going to Disney World you have to wear one. If you don't "want" to wear one, if you don't think you can breathe in one, then don't go to Disney World right now. Just wait until masks are no longer required. It's private property, and they can make any rule they want. It's not a hard rule to follow.

Hopefully, a vaccine will be sooner than the normal timeframe, and masks will eventually be a thing of the past. We're hoping to go in October, and I'm assuming we will be wearing a mask. It's just the way it is right now, and it's just easier to play by the rules Disney has made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom