Wearing a Cast at Waterparks

disneyman15

I'm Surrounded by Idiots
Original Poster
We are going to WDW at the end of this month and were planning to go to a waterpark, most likely Typhoon Lagoon. Last week my brother broke his wrist and will be in a cast while we are down there and I was just wondering if they allow someone in a cast into the waterpark and on the slides. Thank you.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Since its only his wrist I think he will be allowed on the slides. He'll be told to keep his arm on top of his body though, and probably not any of the tube slides.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
rogerrabbitfan9 said:
I know when my friend went to Wild Adventures in Valdosta they made him sign a waiver and wear a wrist band.

Everywhere else != Disney

Disney has hundreds of disabled guests every day. Imagine trying to get waivers for all of them?

barnum42

I'd check with the doctors first. There are all sorts of breaks. If they say he will be ok if the wrist gets a few knocks then go for it. If they say no, then it's not worth the risk.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
barnum42 said:
I'd check with the doctors first. There are all sorts of breaks. If they say he will be ok if the wrist gets a few knocks then go for it. If they say no, then it's not worth the risk.

I'd agree with you, however the question was "would they let him in, and would they let him on the slides?" Disney can't determine the seriousness of the cast either way, thats up to the guest to take care of.

barnum42

Thrawn said:
I'd agree with you, however the question was "would they let him in, and would they let him on the slides?" Disney can't determine that either way, thats up to the guest to take care of.
I am aware of that. Does not make any difference to the validity of my point. No reason they should try to get into the park if it's going to cause unnecessary damage to their injury.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
barnum42 said:
I am aware of that. Does not make any difference to the validity of my point. No reason they should try to get into the park if it's going to cause unnecessary damage to their injury.

Again, I agree with you. But that wasn't the question the OP asked.

Gucci65

How does your brother plan on keeping the cast dry?

Plaster casts are not waterproof. Does he realize that the cast will really begin to smell bad when it cannot fully dry out. AND he will sweating in the parks?

The drs office will give him a plastic cover to use while he is in the shower. These have a strong elastic in them to keep water out. However, your arm
starts to go numb because the plastic is so tight - don't think your brother should wear the shower protectant to long, restricted blood flow is not good.

disneyman15

I'm Surrounded by Idiots
Original Poster
Gucci65 said:
How does your brother plan on keeping the cast dry?

Plaster casts are not waterproof. Does he realize that the cast will really begin to smell bad when it cannot fully dry out. AND he will sweating in the parks?

The drs office will give him a plastic cover to use while he is in the shower. These have a strong elastic in them to keep water out. However, your arm
starts to go numb because the plastic is so tight - don't think your brother should wear the shower protectant to long, restricted blood flow is not good.

My brother got a swimmer's cast. The doctor said that he can stay in the water for 2 - 3 hours at a time, but the cast needs to dry out for several hours before getting it wet again.

barnum42 said:

My mother asked the doctor about water parks. The doctor said that it was ok to go to the water park, but they weren't sure if the water park would let him go on the slides.

Thanks for the answers.

SpenceMan01

wdwprincess03 said:
Call Disney. Best Bet.
Do one better and call Typhoon Lagoon Guest Services:

407-560-6296

Make sure you take note of the date you called, who you talked to and what they said. If there's any discrepency, you'll have info to back your claims up.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
SpenceMan01 said:
Do one better and call Typhoon Lagoon Guest Services:

407-560-6296

Make sure you take note of the date you called, who you talked to and what they said. If there's any discrepency, you'll have info to back your claims up.

Been down that road before......dont bet on it.

tn1999

DID U KNOW---> It was 'on the drawing boards' to sell fake casts at Blizzard Beach when it first opened. Obviously this idea never passed, but it would have been funny.

barnum42

Thrawn said:
Again, I agree with you. But that wasn't the question the OP asked.
If someone said "I'm going to jump 200 feet off a bridge onto solid concrete, should I wear pink or blue sneakers?", I'd be more inclined to advise against making the jump rather than give fashion advice.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
tn1999 said:
DID U KNOW---> It was 'on the drawing boards' to sell fake casts at Blizzard Beach when it first opened. Obviously this idea never passed, but it would have been funny.

How would this fit the theme? Where did you get this information?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
barnum42 said:
If someone said "I'm going to jump 200 feet off a bridge onto solid concrete, should I wear pink or blue sneakers?", I'd be more inclined to advise against making the jump rather than give fashion advice.

Yes, but you aren't a doctor, and even if you are, you haven't seen the broken wrist. How can you possibly know the situation? It might be a hairline fracture, and be nearly healed by the time of the trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom